• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The Red Gyarados

Years
Yep, this guy should've been my first shiny. I didn't get a shiny that wasn't 100% like the Red Gyarados until I hatched the special egg given to you by the daycare couple in Crystal, which was a while later. Mine instantly became an HM slave and that didn't change when HG/SS came out lol. </3 Sorry Gyarados, you're just not my type of Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2015
It was my first, until I caught a shiny Zapados, Mew and Pikachu.

Ah yes, GameShark was fun.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 12, 2015
When I encountered Gyarados i literally yelled "WTF" phrase. I never saw anything like that and I had to catch it. He took out most of my pokemon but I managed to get him.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 6, 2015
I've found an shiny starter, bug I need to save before get it and restar gameboy about 38/9727282 times lol
So, i got it :)

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I remember encountering it the very first time, little old me got wiped out by it, since I was trying to catch it, but most of my party at that time were underleveld compared to my starter who hogged most of the EXP because of Johto's laughably underleveld content. (A Bayleef, i started playing Gen 2 as Chikorita, a big contrast against those who typically started off with Cyndaquil or Totodile).

Of course, even my young self knew that if its a pokemon that appeared in the overworld (like Sudowoodo), there's only one of them. And looking at good ol Gen 2's Shiny pokemon animations got me on my feet the first time seeing it.

To answer the question of whether i used him as part of my team, hell yeah i did. I was having so much fun watching Red Gyara repeatedly REK and sweep trainers and wild pokemon left and right with Thrash, and watching it do Thrash on those good ol gameboy graphics was so much fun. If I remember correctly, Thrash and Hyper Beam were 2 of its most damaging moves as Water (all special moves, INCLUDING BITE) were nearly unusable thanks to Gyara's low Special ATK stat (in my old save file, thanks to widened knowledge of pokemon genetics, the reason why my Red Gyara was hitting so hard because it had the PERFECT ATTACK DV!)

Ocular Stratus

It's okay, I enjoy being the bad guy.
Years
So, I'm curious.

When playing Gold/Silver/Crystal, what was your thoughts when you encountered the Red Gyarados?

• Was it your first shiny encounter?
  • If it wasn't, what was your first shiny?
  • Did you defeat it?
  • Or, did you catch it?
  • If you caught it, did you use it for your team?

I really liked the Red Gyarados, I thought it was a nice touch to the game but it seemed odd that they basically said one of the ways a Pokemon could become shiny through rage.

• No
  • Caterpie, Pokemon Yellow
  • No
  • Yes
  • I used it in a hilarious battle once it turned into a Metapod against another Metapod, ending after a thousand turns because I only had Harden so we struggled are way to a double faint.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jun 2, 2018
Caught it yes, but there's no way anything in the current party would get benched for it.

It wasn't my first shiny though. Caught a shiny Weedle at some point earlier. Later I'd catch three more shiny Weedles, the only other shiny being a Tentacool. Why Weedles? Why?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 24, 2015
My first shiny encounter was in silver where i found a shiny weedle then later a shiny pineco two routes down, i wasn't able to catch the red gyarados as i ran out of poke balls and forgot to save it before hand.

LadyVenus

Team Cipher
Years
The Red Gyarados has always been my one and only shiny encounter (sadly), lol. Since I was so young back when I played these games and only used my starter Pokemon, I either captured it and just didn't use it, or KO'd it (can't remember which).

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
The red Gyarados is my first shiny encounter and although I caught it, I didn't use it much since I already had a Gyarados with better stats.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I didn't even know that shiny Pokemon existed back in Gold. I thought that the Gyarados was red back then because it was mad. I didn't know that he was shiny, or that other Pokemon could be shiny until gen. 4. I thought that a different color of the Pokemon was a 1 time thing. I caught it because it looked cool, and Gyarados is one of my favorite Pokemon in gen. 1-2.

Killua

I knew from shinys cos my mistery egg hatched into shiny

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
Was it your first shiny encounter? Yep, it was. Didn't encounter another shiny until gen 3.
If it wasn't, what was your first shiny? Spinda!
Did you defeat it? I'm assuming you mean Red Gyarados? No, I...
Or, did you catch it? caught it!
If you caught it, did you use it for your team? I don't think so, I believe it wen't straight to the box.

Years
That it was shiny was gone over fairly extensively in the game. As, in the games, Pokémon are basically the enemy (whether or not your starter was rare), it is perhaps worth considering that rather than it being in question whether this Gyarados was to be captured, as a shiny, it was also worth noting that it was probably meant to be first and foremost a difficult or formidable opponent in some sense, before any further process. The centering of it around moves like Thrash, etc., rather than having something which isn't supposed to battle you or not significantly, seems to support this. As such, if you were to catch it this might allow, if this side of things were by then permitted to show, for using the logic of the game as it were against it. There was also the possibly interesting call-back to Red and Blue, as well as to Red as the 'final' spectre of the game, making this 'Gyarados' something of a perennial rival in a way you suppose fitting the name.

Back