Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner > Roleplay Lounge
Notices

Roleplay Lounge Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!

Closed Thread

Old October 30th, 2007, 12:22 PM
justokre
Open your eyes.

Send a message via AIM to justokre Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to justokre Send a message via Yahoo to justokre Send a message via Skype™ to justokre

Advertise here
I was just wondering why I never see any new RP thread for a small group of players to start on their own pokemon journeys, like the games and tv shows.
Is it because they were so overdone before that no one wants to do them? Too hard to execute? Always end up boring?
I'm that guy that got the 1,000,000th post. Woo for me. =) Anyways... I should have a good sig up... eventually...
FC: 1461 5889 0907
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Well, probably because most people don't want to fashion a good plot for it. :/

And some people find that rather boring anyway. Remember, aimless roleplays aren't allowed at PC. So we don't just wander around. If you can find an extensive way to make a plot for a journey to become a pokemon master at whatever, then you know... By all means, do!
if you gave me a chance i would take it
it's a shot in the dark but i'll make it
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:57 AM
justokre
Open your eyes.

Send a message via AIM to justokre Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to justokre Send a message via Yahoo to justokre Send a message via Skype™ to justokre
Hm, ok. Maybe I'll come up with something soon =)

Would it be plausible to have one person be a sort of DM, handling only the plot and secondary characters and scenary, while three players only control themselves and maybe their pokemon?
I'm not sure how this commmunity might feel about something like that.
I'm that guy that got the 1,000,000th post. Woo for me. =) Anyways... I should have a good sig up... eventually...
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:11 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

DM? :/ I can't think of what that anagram might go to, but if you just have one person handling the secondary characters and scenery, that's... I don't know, I don't think that's a good idea, simply because the people in this community are more accustomed to making their own secondary characters, and describing the scenery around them.

But... If you want to PM me with the fine-tuned detail's, I'll take a look into it, because I'm not quite positive what your idea is.
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Scales
Man of Infinite Jest

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by justokre View Post
Hm, ok. Maybe I'll come up with something soon =)

Would it be plausible to have one person be a sort of DM, handling only the plot and secondary characters and scenary, while three players only control themselves and maybe their pokemon?
I'm not sure how this commmunity might feel about something like that.
Ive recently created secrets of legendaries which is a starting trainer story. But it has a small plot twist in it. Anyway it starts out as a few trainers getting starter pokemon.

I think the reason people dont want to do starting trainer stories is because they want to start out with really powerful pokemon instead of small rookies. Most people will normally give you an excuse that it makes it more available for a plot but I disagree and think that having a starter trainer story gives it more plot and makes it longer
Non-Human

Last edited by Scales; October 31st, 2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:59 PM
Stantler
Trainer

From all of my time here in this forum I only made two RPs. Both in which are done the "old-fashioned" way and both were in fact finished. Haven't heard of my RP's? Take a look, both were very popular for their time:

Pokémon
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66589

Pokémon II

Enjoy =)
Member of: Arceus Battle Thread, The Clan, Pokemon Dojo, The Legion of Supremacy and I am an Elite Battler. I got rid of the banners b/c they exceed limit.
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:05 PM
Scales
Man of Infinite Jest

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stantler View Post
From all of my time here in this forum I only made two RPs. Both in which are done the "old-fashioned" way and both were in fact finished. Haven't heard of my RP's? Take a look, both were very popular for their time:

Pokémon

Pokémon II

Enjoy =)
Stantler I would recommend remaking one of those roleplays. So that you can have a newer generation of roleplayers
Non-Human
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:27 PM
Stantler
Trainer

Don't worry, I have something in the works

But until its complete I hope my previous work will inspire others to make RPs.

Thank you,
Stantler
Member of: Arceus Battle Thread, The Clan, Pokemon Dojo, The Legion of Supremacy and I am an Elite Battler. I got rid of the banners b/c they exceed limit.
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:47 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCPeace View Post
I think the reason people dont want to do starting trainer stories is because they want to start out with really powerful pokemon instead of small rookies. Most people will normally give you an excuse that it makes it more available for a plot but I disagree and think that having a starter trainer story gives it more plot and makes it longer
In my experience, people avoid them because they tend to be hosted by clueless N00Bs and consequently lack a point. It sure as heck isn't the weak pokémon, because I made my RPers in Neo Genesis start out from rock bottom with newborns and I was still swamped with sign-ups. xD

Yeah, it's more an issue of the plot (or more often lack thereof). Also, keep in mind that the pokémon journey is a signature plot of clueless newbies so there may be biases against it. I'm sure a well-written one with a bit of focus to it will work, though. :3 (I know I'd be up for one if it's up to scratch in terms of quality)
Featured Theme: Patchouli Knowledge (Touhou Project)
Provided by and jointed with: Phani
Best viewed together, profile customization still in progress

Scandalous Maido Love Affair and Pair: Phani
Estranged Ex: The RP Section Rules
Sworn Rival For All Eternity and about five minutes beyond: Chibi
Illegitimate Lovechild: Mika
Card-gaming Beta on a Leash: Scarlet

Last edited by Alter Ego; November 1st, 2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:49 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

I know none of you are directly doing this, but before we start stepping over this thin line, seeing as we're treading on it...

This is not a thread to advertise your roleplay's.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Scarlet Weather
The Game is Afoot!

Nature: Lax
Er... DM stands for "Dungeon Master", the player responsible for outlining the plot and setting in tradtional tabletop RPGs, Mizzi. [/nerdiness]

Ahem... I'd say that as far as starting out goes, trainer plots do sometimes never get off the ground because of the whole "starting with weaklings" thing. I mean, (not to advertise, but) in Neo Genesis, starting with wet-behind-the-ears newborns ain't such a bad thing because our characters are A) enveloped in a completely crazy plot, and B) Have other accomplishments outside of training Pokemon to balance their lack of experience as a trainer. In a lot of the "n00bier" trainer journeys, you aren't given that choice. Your character is ten years old, knows nothing, and is randomly given a Pokemon who can't win cool battles and won't obey him for heaven knows how long. It starts to get boring, and roleplayers lose interest. So I'd say that it is usually a safer bet to let the roleplayers have some leeway in age and accomplishments rather than have them start off as just useless ten-year-olds who barely know what a Pokedex is. XD

x x x x

Old November 4th, 2007, 05:22 PM
justokre
Open your eyes.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I'm looking at some of the aforementioned RPs at the moment.
I'm curious as to how players handled battles, experience, ect.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here