• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2014
This is Gamefreak were talking about I doubt they will over complicate dual-type moves (if it happens...) It will probably something simple like picking which type you want the move to be in a situation.
Using Blaze Kick (Fire/Fighting) against Ferrothorn then an option will pop up to choose either Fire or Fighting or something like that

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
and what if ur fire/fight blaze kick hit my ferrothorn? Hw much damage will it inflict on ferro?

Oy Vey!

Assuming that this is about dual-type moves....well honestly, I wouldn't want to see that happen.

It's the previous post as well as much much more that can make dual-type moves more confusing than it is. Whilst on paper, it seems like something disastrous that might come out to be a positive thing, I honestly think that it might just be something that just isn't necessary/bad for long term. It would make moves unnecessarily complicated, and I'm just really hoping that past/current moves don't get re-typed. I don't even want competitive Pokemon to be more complicated than what it is currently. x_x;

Take Mega kick for example. It is a move that involves physical contact, and it would seem like a fighting move, so what if Mega Kick was a Normal/Fighting move, and how much damage would it inflict on steel types? I'm assuming neutral since one type is super-effective and the other isn't very effective, but still...

OY VEY!

I'm still going by my theory on how the mechanics for a dual-type move will work: The move will only use its primary type, but will switch into its secondary type if its primary type is NVE against the opponent's Pokemon. If the Pokemon resists both types, then it'll result in being not very effective.

Thank you for thinking and not believing in the worse case scenario... I literally couldn't explain it easier than I had... But I'll still say it again...

The BEST would be what applies... A Fire/Fight attack hitting a Grass/Steel would be considered a Fire type attack, since that's x4 as a fire attack and x2 from Fighting is lower than Fire... Like I had just explained in the previous reply... Same applies to a Normal/Fighting move... Normal isn't effective... Fighting is... So Fighting wins... Even if a Normal type is using it... It gets the STAB of being a Normal type, and the SE from Fighting vs Steel...

This is just an example, hopefully they will do a much better system... Don't strain yourselves trying to come up with the formula... Just wait for GameFreak to talk about it if it even exists... And don't instantly think of the worst possible way to implement something...

Last edited:

aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2014
Thank you for thinking and not believing in the worse case scenario...
I know it's kinda irritating whenever people here a new feature that's drastically different for pokemon they automatically shun it.....

shubham2207

Lone Wolf
Years
Oh Vey!

OY VEY!

Thank you for thinking and not believing in the worse case scenario... I literally couldn't explain it easier than I had... But I'll still say it again...

The BEST would be what applies... A Fire/Fight attack hitting a Grass/Steel would be considered a Fire type attack, since that's x4 as a fire attack and x2 from Fighting is lower than Fire... Like I had just explained in the previous reply... Same applies to a Normal/Fighting move... Normal isn't effective... Fighting is... So Fighting wins... Even if a Normal type is using it... It gets the STAB of being a Normal type, and the SE from Fighting vs Steel...

This is just an example, hopefully they will do a much better system... Don't strain yourselves trying to come up with the formula... Just wait for GameFreak to talk about it if it even exists... And don't instantly think of the worst possible way to implement something...

then it would become a coverage move which would become very much op. It covers up ROCK,STEEL,ICE,GRASS,BUG,DARK,NORMAL..
Wow, 7 types..!! That would make metagame even more unstable..

Also, when did i produce a formula? I asked u the formula cuz that was your theory. So, u should have a formula to it. Why would we strain our minds fr something which is practically a impossible thing..!

Dual type moves are a bad idea imo..!

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years
Once again I stick to my 'one type that counts stab and one type for type effectiveness'-theory. It's very similar to what they're already doing with the special-physical split one some attacks, and it would do no harm to the system.

But you guys can keep going about how bad of an idea this is, sure.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
I think moves should be left untouched, introducing dual type moves would completely change the way attacks work.

Hey, my game idea's making me think several generations ahead here! (I really wish that I could share more of this insanely awesome project, codenamed 'Aeonn' for the region's current name, with you guys, but I really can't since I'm going to ping Nintendo to see if they'll allow GameFreak to give me permission to extrapolate some official code from my current documentation. As such, I should probably stop discussing it at random; if any of you want to get on board with the project, maybe you can send me a personal message and we could eventually meet in person once I get the enterprise's parent company up and running…) Anyhow, I don't think that there's any need to get angry at my suggestion when all it really comes from is my opinion that the move-linking mechanic from the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games should get some use in the main games in some way, shape, or form. To be honest, I personally think that dual-type moves would be really cool, especially if they foreshadowed or followed from the existence of triple-type Pokémon, but I bet that GemeFreak would phase them in very slowly, if at all.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I wouldn't disagree move linking in things like Double and Triple battles so it's just combining the two attacks. Plus, that'd make for some cool strategies that you'd be able to pull off. It'd probably just have cool visuals too. There'd have to be a set list of what could be combined though, because the games can't just magically combine everything and pull up an animation for it. That'd just be a ridiculously large number of animations to program in.

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
Well, let's not forget that this is a 'kids' game, so, even if GF introduces a dual type move system, it will never be too complicated.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
I have to agree, dual typed moves just seem way to messy!
Especially if you consider how they would handle weaknesses/resistances
Let's say a move like Blaze Kick is both Fire and Fighting, how would it affect a Rock Pokemon?
It could either be SE if considered Fighting, but only not very effective if considered Fire

Maybe the effects would be combined like they are for when a singly-typed move attacks a doubly-typed Pokémon? In that case, the super-effectiveness that the Fighting type has against Rock-type Pokémon might get canceled out by the lack of effectiveness inherent in Fire-type moves used against Rock-type Pokémon, thereby making combined Fire-/Fighting-type moves like the updated Blaze Kick that you proposed, Zorogami, normally effective against Rock-type Pokémon. Then again, that required a lot of thought…maybe this isn't such a good idea after all? I suppose that move-merging could only create more-powerful existing moves with one type out of two different moves if it ever evolved out of move linking.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
then it would become a coverage move which would become very much op. It covers up ROCK,STEEL,ICE,GRASS,BUG,DARK,NORMAL..
Wow, 7 types..!! That would make metagame even more unstable..

Also, when did i produce a formula? I asked u the formula cuz that was your theory. So, u should have a formula to it. Why would we strain our minds fr something which is practically a impossible thing..!

Dual type moves are a bad idea imo..!

That's why its just an example... See...

I said don't worry about it yet here you are worrying about it... I said if they are implementing it they will do so because it makes sense and they worked it out in some series of freaking numbers to make it work... I don't need to invent my own damn formula for an example...

shubham2207

Lone Wolf
Years
That's why its just an example... See...

I said don't worry about it yet here you are worrying about it... I said if they are implementing it they will do so because it makes sense and they worked it out in some series of freaking numbers to make it work... I don't need to invent my own damn formula for an example...

Thats wt i m trying to say. Look, i m nt making a pt that ur idea is bad but Sumthing that doesn't work will nvr wrk at all.. Even if gf tries that sumthing. They r nt superhumans or god.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Thats wt i m trying to say. Look, i m nt making a pt that ur idea is bad but Sumthing that doesn't work will nvr wrk at all.. Even if gf tries that sumthing. They r nt superhumans or god.

Not sure what you are trying to say... But you don't need to be a superhuman or god to do math...

Years
Once again I stick to my 'one type that counts stab and one type for type effectiveness'-theory. It's very similar to what they're already doing with the special-physical split one some attacks, and it would do no harm to the system.
So then, if I had a Water-type Pokemon with a Water/Ice dual move used against a Normal/Flying Pokemon I would get STAB and type effectiveness? And if the move were the other way around, an Ice/Water move I would not get STAB nor type effectiveness? Interesting idea. It would give Pokemon with type disadvantages an ace up their sleeve depending on how many combination movies there were and how spread out they are among different Pokemon. That would certainly change things around a bit, but I don't see it as game-breaking either.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Not sure what you are trying to say... But you don't need to be a superhuman or god to do math...
You mean I'm not a superhuman? My world is shattered.

FTR, I still think dual-typing moves is a horrible and confusing concept that would never work.

Cyclone

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
It would be both an interesting addition and a disaster, depending on what moves you're talking about. If Drain Punch was, say, Fighting/Electric (since it has the chance of paralysis), then it would no longer affect Pokemon like Excadrill, as well as many other Rock/Ground Pokemon, mainly because of the secondary Electric typing, really.

But Drain Punch is just one out of many fighting moves, of course. But that's still an example of how moves can suddenly become useless with an additional type.

I think you're thinking of Force Palm =P But regardless, that wouldn't matter much, since there are other ways of causing paralysis other than electricity. But for the sake of that example, then that'd go from super effective to immune, which is just a giant change. Just seems like a really large jump that I don't think they'd be likely to make, regardless of what they can and can't do.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
If this two type moves somehow does end up being real, which I doubt, Kyurem's signature moves will probably become Ice/Electric and Ice/Fire respectively...if any moves should be double type I'll like it for it to be those as it makes sense in context of those moves.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
My view on how dual-type moves should be done if they happen at all (and I explained this once before on the Showdown server) is this:

Moves have two types. A primary type and a secondary type. Take the move Scald for example. Its primary type would be Water which determines STAB and effectiveness against other pokemon in terms of damage. Its secondary type would be Fire because of the move's 30% burn chance. However this burn chance would be amplified or diminished by type effectiveness as well. Pokemon who resist fire would have a 15% chance of getting burned, and those weak to it would have a 60% chance. Those that are 4x weak / 4x resist would continue in such a fashion (although I feel like a 120% chance to burn against stuff like Scizor could be a bit ridiculous but it actually sounds like it could help balance him out a bit and knock him down a peg). Maybe it wouldn't be that simple for effects, but that's how I see it working.

It seems like the best solution to dual-type moves without introducing too many confusing mechanics such as the way STAB would work and immunities in terms of damage effectiveness.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
My view on how dual-type moves should be done if they happen at all (and I explained this once before on the Showdown server) is this:

Moves have two types. A primary type and a secondary type. Take the move Scald for example. Its primary type would be Water which determines STAB and effectiveness against other pokemon in terms of damage. Its secondary type would be Fire because of the move's 30% burn chance. However this burn chance would be amplified or diminished by type effectiveness as well. Pokemon who resist fire would have a 15% chance of getting burned, and those weak to it would have a 60% chance. Those that are 4x weak / 4x resist would continue in such a fashion (although I feel like a 120% chance to burn against stuff like Scizor could be a bit ridiculous but it actually sounds like it could help balance him out a bit and knock him down a peg). Maybe it wouldn't be that simple for effects, but that's how I see it working.

It seems like the best solution to dual-type moves without introducing too many confusing mechanics such as the way STAB would work and immunities in terms of damage effectiveness.

That is pretty much the only way I can see it working. But omg that freeze hax that'll happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back