• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate and suggest

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
So yeah i was thinking of getting into Competitive battling and was wondering if this is a good team or not.

Infernape.
Moveset,
Mach Punch,
Fire Punch,
Swords dance,
Close combat.
Nature:Adamant.
EVs: 252 in Attack and Speed
Ability:Blaze.
Item: Air Balloon

Rhyperior
Moveset.
Rock Slide,
Earthquake,
Stone Edge,
Megahorn,
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack and Defence
Ability: Solid Rock.
Item: Life orb

Heracross
Moveset.
Megahorn,
Close Combat,
Facade,
Stone Edge,
Nature: Jolly
Ability:Guts
Item:Toxic orb

Feraligatr
Moveset.
Swords Dance,
Ice Punch,
Earthquake,
Waterfall,
Nature: Adamant.
Ability:Torrent.
item:Life orb

Hydreigon
Moveset.
Dragon Pulse,
Fire Blast,
Flamethrower,
Crunch,
Nature: Quirky
EVs: 252 in Speed and Sp.def.
Ability:Levitate
Item: Wide lens

Eelektross
Moveset.
Flamethrower,
Wild Charge,
Grass Knot,
Thunder.
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 in Sp.Attack and Sp.defence
Ability: Levitate
Item: Focus Sash

So yeah any help would be nice and please rate.

Edit: Added Eelektross and Hydreigon plus items for all of'em.

Last edited:

CloudNine

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 23, 2014
Infernape // Jolly or Adamant // 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Flare Blitz or Fire Punch
Close Combat
U Turn
Stone Edge or Mach Punch

Metagross // Jolly // 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Agility
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt

Cacturne // Adamant // 188 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 20 SpD / 28 Spe
Spikes
Seed Bomb
Sucker Punch
Substitute or Drain Punch

Galvantula // Timid // 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Thunder
Bug Buzz
Energy Ball
Hidden Power Fire

Swampert // Adamant // 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def
Waterfall
Ice Punch or Avalanche
Stealth Rocks
Earthquake

Sigilyph // Timid // 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Psychic
Air Slash
Roost
Calm Mind or Hidden Power Fighting

Swampert should be you're tank/starting Pokemon

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2012
I'd replace the Cacturne for a Ferrothorn. Cacturne has WAY to many weaknesses, and can be easily OHKOed in one hit. Try replacing it with something like this:

Ferrothorn
Brave/Adamant
Leftovers
252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Def
Spikes
Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Explosion/Payback

Works wonders for me

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Your team is weak to Cloyster. You might wanna add some priority moves to take Cloyster out easily. Seriously.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Just so you know, in the future you need EVs, abilities, natures and items, and since you've been actively battling in the league your team has likely changed since then, though I noticed you still have Swampert, so just going to mention that if you want a water/ground special attacker, then Gastrodon is the stronger/more powerful choice:

Gastrodon@Choice Specs
Modest
240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD
Storm Drain
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass / Recover

It's choice specs, but it's still pretty good, allowing you basically all the coverage that Swampert would've gave you but a bit stronger when comparing the sPA stats.

Also, you should be aware of the physical/special split, which basically means some Pokemon concentrate in special attacks, and others concentrate in physical attacks, which is why bug bite on Galvantula isn't really the greatest thing when you can get more power from bug buzz, due to it being special for example.

Also, just mentioning, @Thundurus!: Explosion isn't really useful in Generation 5 without having a Choice Band since Explosion doesn't half the opponent's defense unlike in Gen 4. :(

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
I'd replace the Cacturne for a Ferrothorn. Cacturne has WAY to many weaknesses, and can be easily OHKOed in one hit. Try replacing it with something like this:

Ferrothorn
Brave/Adamant
Leftovers
252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Def
Spikes
Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Explosion/Payback

Works wonders for me

Thanks for the suggestion but i've decided to not use a Spiker.

Your team is weak to Cloyster. You might wanna add some priority moves to take Cloyster out easily. Seriously.

hmm i understand your point but even though it has such high defence then a few fighting type moves could take it down.

Just so you know, in the future you need EVs, abilities, natures and items, and since you've been actively battling in the league your team has likely changed since then, though I noticed you still have Swampert, so just going to mention that if you want a water/ground special attacker, then Gastrodon is the stronger/more powerful choice:

Gastrodon@Choice Specs
Modest
240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD
Storm Drain
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass / Recover

It's choice specs, but it's still pretty good, allowing you basically all the coverage that Swampert would've gave you but a bit stronger when comparing the sPA stats.

Also, you should be aware of the physical/special split, which basically means some Pokemon concentrate in special attacks, and others concentrate in physical attacks, which is why bug bite on Galvantula isn't really the greatest thing when you can get more power from bug buzz, due to it being special for example.

Also, just mentioning, @Thundurus!: Explosion isn't really useful in Generation 5 without having a Choice Band since Explosion doesn't half the opponent's defense unlike in Gen 4. :(

Gastrodon seems like a great choice to me thanks for the suggestion been most likely one of the best yet.

Also i updated the first post with my new team that i made

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
On Hydreigon you don't need Dragon Rush and Pulse - keep Pulse. Crunch is physical and doesn't help it, you're better off with Dark Pulse, but that's a bit difficult to get. :( As for a replacement for Dragon Rush, go with Focus Blast to hit Heatran.

Nooo on Escavalier, its special attack is terrible. ;; Replace Bug Buzz with Pursuit to trap switching Pokemon aaand Return is better than Slash but if you can't max it, it's okay!

Chandelure is kinda not that lovely, since you don't need three fire attacks. :x Instead put in shadow ball > hex for more power, and energy ball to hit water types over inferno or flame burst. :3 Aaand depending on what you want, and substitute over the leftover fire attack if you switch into a bug type that something is weak to so you can get a sub up, etc.

On Lucario, you should decide whether you wanna go physical or special, tbh then EV it appropriately. However due to limitations you're better off keeping it mixed then replacing Aura Sphere with Ice Punch to hit dragons so it's mostly physical, but up to youuu.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I second what Nica said.

Anyway, while Lucario does have good offensive stats, it can't use both effectively at the same time. It's better off using one offense or the other:
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-ExtremeSpeed
-Crunch/Ice Punch/Stone Edge
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

or
-Nasty Plot
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Vacuum Wave
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Poison Jab doesn't serve much use on Escavalier whatsoever. Scizor does a better job than it due to having a better movepool to work with:
-U-turn
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break/Superpower
-Pursuit/Quick Attack
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Technician

If you want to keep Escavalier, that's fine, because of its massively powerful Megahorns:
-Megahorn
-Iron Head/Knock Off/Rock Smash/Reversal
-Pursuit
-Return
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/4 Spe
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Swarm

To elaborate on what Nica said about Chandelure, Inferno is too inaccurate, and Hex is too reliant on the opponent being statused:
-Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Substitute
-Pain Split/Hidden Power (Fighting)
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well, Politoed isn't really fit for your team as it is since fire's power is weakened in rain and a few of your Pokemon have fire attacks and generally your team doesn't benefit much from rain. Plus you've already got Feraligatr as your water attacker. It is true that you are lacking in special attackers though, so maybe wanna tell us what you have that is specially based and we can suggest a replacement for you? Unless you wanna keep Politoed, but you'll have to rework some of your team.

Anyway, Rhyperior has terrible special attack so I'm not sure why you're running Thunder. Try Ice Punch instead to hit flying/ground types such as Gliscor and so on. Also make sure you're using a Choice Band there.

Also Earthquake > Fire Fang to hit steels and uh, on Ice Fang if you can get Aqua Tail go for that instead.

I'd also possibly consider choosing between Rhyperior and Aerodactyl since they have basically the same coverage with their normal sets based on what you have, plus it just makes you weaker to water. :( So yeah, you could also fit another special attacker in there, possibly a grass type since you have nothing to really hit bulky water types w/ super effective damage.

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
Well, Politoed isn't really fit for your team as it is since fire's power is weakened in rain and a few of your Pokemon have fire attacks and generally your team doesn't benefit much from rain. Plus you've already got Feraligatr as your water attacker. It is true that you are lacking in special attackers though, so maybe wanna tell us what you have that is specially based and we can suggest a replacement for you? Unless you wanna keep Politoed, but you'll have to rework some of your team.

Anyway, Rhyperior has terrible special attack so I'm not sure why you're running Thunder. Try Ice Punch instead to hit flying/ground types such as Gliscor and so on. Also make sure you're using a Choice Band there.

Also Earthquake > Fire Fang to hit steels and uh, on Ice Fang if you can get Aqua Tail go for that instead.

I'd also possibly consider choosing between Rhyperior and Aerodactyl since they have basically the same coverage with their normal sets based on what you have, plus it just makes you weaker to water. :( So yeah, you could also fit another special attacker in there, possibly a grass type since you have nothing to really hit bulky water types w/ super effective damage.

Ok then well my best Special Attackers I'll list up in the first post then.

I guess I'll switch out Politoed for a better Special attacker.

I guess I'll take Rhyperior over Aerodactyl since hes more of a wall and I'll take thunder off him then.

anyway I'll update the team now.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well from those choices, Hydreigon and Eelektross. Chandelure just makes the water weakness worse while Eelektross helps against ground & Hydreigon for powerr but keep in mind that dragons can become an issue (and a resist - a steel type) can be helpful. But yeah if you don't have one, then ya.

Could we also get the items of your Pokemon as well as Hydreigon/Eelektross' current sets so we can see what could do with improving on?

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
Well from those choices, Hydreigon and Eelektross. Chandelure just makes the water weakness worse while Eelektross helps against ground & Hydreigon for powerr but keep in mind that dragons can become an issue (and a resist - a steel type) can be helpful. But yeah if you don't have one, then ya.

Could we also get the items of your Pokemon as well as Hydreigon/Eelektross' current sets so we can see what could do with improving on?

Sure I'll update right away with items and Hydreigon and Eelektross sets...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Go for Life Orb on Infernape, the more power the better.

On Hydreigon you don't need both fire blast/flamethrower, instead go for focus blast to hit steels. Even wide lens doesn't really help you with what you have. :( So instead you can use LO or expert belt, to either fake a LO or actually have that power.

On Eelektross chances are it won't be OHKO'd easily especially with nothing super effective, so feel free to go w/ leftovers or life orb. Thunder is bad without rain in terms of accuracy so go for thunderbolt. Wild Charge is best suited for a different set so otherwise remove that aand you can replace w/ u-turn for scouting.

Back