The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: What do you think about the current command names?
Good enough 10 45.45%
I would change some of them 8 36.36%
Honestly I don't care a lot 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiche View Post
I have a couple of suggestions:

Spoiler:
0x34 - playsong2

Change playsong2 to playsound

0x42 - getplayerpos

Change it to getplayerxy

0x50 - applymovement2

Change it to applymovementendat

0x56 - showsprite2

Chane it to reappearat

0x59 - spriteinvisible

Change it to spritehide

0x68 - closeonkeypress

Change it to closemsg

0xD8 - cmdd8

I think this is also a warp. Call it warp8. Not sure though

That's all. I might post some later on. However, you don't have to do them if you don't like them, they are just suggestions.
I like the whole idea of "commands make more sense" but, serriously people if this is changed to that and that to this, nobody will know what the commands are and all totorials will be worthless.(unless they get translated..) I think that if a command dosn't make sense, it's fine to change the names, but don't go on a rampage saying rename this, that and the other. The commands make sense as is. Sorry if I seem harsh, and I'm not trying to spam... I'm just trying to state my what I feel.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
Hiche..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
I like the whole idea of "commands make more sense" but, serriously people if this is changed to that and that to this, nobody will know what the commands are and all totorials will be worthless.(unless they get translated..) I think that if a command dosn't make sense, it's fine to change the names, but don't go on a rampage saying rename this, that and the other. The commands make sense as is. Sorry if I seem harsh, and I'm not trying to spam... I'm just trying to state my what I feel.
You got a point. However, I only suggested. I didn't tell him they are better, and he should change them.
The commands he used in the new XSE should not be changed. People are used to them by now.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:01 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiche View Post
You got a point. However, I only suggested. I didn't tell him they are better, and he should change them.
The commands he used in the new XSE should not be changed. People are used to them by now.
with this in mind...maybe he(assuming Hackmew is a he don't get mad if I'm wrong) could add support for the syntax of the previous versions...

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Here are some suggestions:
Spoiler:
Code:
0x1B - cmpbanks
0x1C - cmpbanktob
0x1D - cmpbanktofarb
0x1E - cmpfarbtobank
0x1F - cmpfarbtob
0x20 - cmpfarbs
0x21 - cmp
0x22 - cmpvars

The THUMB command for "compare" is "cmp", and we all can understand what "cmp" means, so yeah...just sayin'

Old December 5th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Shiny Quagsire
Unexpectedly Gone until Aug 13

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
On the topic of renaming, it'd be nice to have overrides for (un)used commands, that way if someone were to add a custom command (via ASM hacking), It'd have a name. Just a thought.

Or, have different databases of overrides, that way people can use the old command names until they get used to or convert their old scripts. Thus, everyone's happy with their commands, improved or not

Old December 11th, 2011, 03:17 AM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
My own research, back when I was active in FR hacking, revealed that the purposes and even the argument structures of certain commands were not consistent between Advance-gen games. I'd strongly advise having multiple command databases as resource files, independent of XSE itself and alterable with a simple text editor.

This would allow the program to account for the variations and for ASM-based custom commands, and would allow anyone who conducts research similar to mine to extend the database as needed.

Of course, this thread is only back as the result of a necropost, so no one should expect updates to be made based on any posts here.

Sponsored Links