• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknamed Pokemon

Blaze the Cat

Life hurts, and so do I
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 19, 2014
What is your opinion when you receive a nicknamed and trained Pokemon through trade? How do you feel? Example is a Charizard level 83, nicknamed Inferno, received Pallet Town level 5.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
If they're nice, I don't mind. If I'm planning on just having them for Pokedex completion, I don't mind neither since I'm probably not gonna be using the Pokemon.

But when I'm planning on using a Pokemon i got from the trade, I expect it to be the regular name or a nice nickname. I mostly get Japanese named Pokemon and I don't really like it lol. I prefer having names I can actually read myself.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
In the first color and metal generations, at least you had the added benefit of seeing what color they were in Pokemon Stadium (2). I've only gave nicknames or rather birthnames to Pokemon in Mystery Dungeon, but I usually don't bother just incase it gets traded or something.

As far as receiving, as long as you don't get Pokemon with names like Weiner, Runt, Worthless, Failure, Unloved or Steaming Pile, being stuck with a nicknamed Pokemon isn't the worst thing in the world.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I wouldn't mind a Pokemon with a nickname, hope its something good, or the Pokemon will stay in the PC storage for ever.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I love Pokemon with nice nicknames. Ones that you can tell the trainer put some thought into it.
Any Pokemon I get that has weird/lame/dumb nicknames usually get released right after I get it.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I hate Pokemon with nicknames. I very very rarely nickname my pokemon. I...just don't like it. It's hard to explain.
I would nickname all my Pokemon if I could. The only reason I don't is because of this. ^
xD

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
I love Pokemon with nice nicknames. Ones that you can tell the trainer put some thought into it.
Any Pokemon I get that has weird/lame/dumb nicknames usually get released right after I get it.

^ that +:
- I nickname my in-game party Pokemon, usually with usernames of my fav PC users 8D
- I nickname my WiFi Pokemon, I love when my opponents can say: "I see what you did there" My favourite NNs are: ScoobyDoom the Houndoom and Shiny4kix the Shiny Garchomp. I always try to nickname my Pokemon according to their typing, moveset, their role in the team or just their appearance. (I'm sad that you can't use Pokemon named with other Pokemon species' name, I really like my Pikachu, the Shiny Azumarill...)
- I nickname Pokemon on request when I'm trading. Usually people are like: "Yeah... a NN would be cool, but I have no idea how to call this Pokemon, pick something nice, mkay?" So it's my job to find a cool nickname for them ;)

Blaze the Cat

Life hurts, and so do I
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 19, 2014
I nickname all my Pokemon similar to Gonz0, but when I get a traded Pokemon that has been nicknamed, it makes me kind of sad. I never trade away my Pokemon, it's just something I don't do(unless I'm sending it to another game to fill the Pokedex). That reminds me, I need to find my Platinum and trade back my Snorlax.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
- I nickname my WiFi Pokemon, I love when my opponents can say: "I see what you did there"

I do that as well with all of my mons. I usually name them characters from books, shows, movies, or myths. A few of my favorite ones are: Lumiere the Chandelure, Cheshire the Gengar, Luffy the Ambipom, and Poseidon/Leviathan the Kyogre.

My favourite NNs are: ScoobyDoom the Houndoom

Omg! That is so cute! <3

Hooh

Only if for a night.
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
I nickname all of them. Sort of makes them more personal and adds sentimental value.

Years
I don't usually nn my Pokémon, but usually when I do the nn comes from a book I'm or an old college history text book. Only one time did I give a really horrible nickname, and it was a really ugly Pokémon that I nicknamed Fugly. I forget what it was, but I only caught it for the purpose of trading online.

Years
I usually spend a good five or six minutes at a time thinking up nicknames for my pokemon, and usually I will never trade a pokemon that I've nicknamed unless I get a really good trade or I know the person who I am trading to.

If I do trade them I usually let the person know and ask them if they want me to rename them or change the name back to a more correct name.

Drago Dragonite

General of the Dragons' Army
Years
Well...I love nicknaming pokemon.I nickname every single one of my pokemon,and because of that,I made a 'name list' I update every year.Sometimes I give them names like 'John','Jack','Filipe',but when I feel creative,I give good names, like nicknaming 'Tesla' an electric type,or nicknaming 'Newton' an Emolga.I just like my friends laughing and pointing out certain names,like 'The Bold'(my boldore),Croco Rex (my totodile),Shaun (mareep),or Rainbow (Marill),or even Bouncy (azurill).I once nicknamed my eevee Charle Magne,because I was offering it to my French friend.He loved it ^^.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2013
I only nickname pokemon I'll actually be using, and then only if I can think of a name I really like. My hydregion, for instance, is named "Omega", my ferrothorn is named 'Roswell", and my Chandelure is named "CandleJack". I have an Alomomola, salamence, and staryu I haven't came up with names for.

Drago Dragonite

General of the Dragons' Army
Years
:)
I only nickname pokemon I'll actually be using, and then only if I can think of a name I really like. My hydregion, for instance, is named "Omega", my ferrothorn is named 'Roswell", and my Chandelure is named "CandleJack". I have an Alomomola, salamence, and staryu I haven't came up with names for.

A cool name I figured out for Alomomola is "Florence",if she is a female,because of the pokedex entry.Maybe Salamence could be "Spencer",because it is a cool name.Staryu...Maybe Andromeda?(not really a star...But it fits ^^).My names are pretty lame,but at least I hope they gave you some ideas! :]

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Personally, I always try to nickname my Pokemon. It's just that sense of that Pokemon is unique- it's not just another Swanna, it's actually a Swanna that's a "Wizard Lv7."
I tend to give them nice nicknames, or somewhat humorous ones.

But I always name my Tentacruels the name they were given in the beta of Red/Green/Blue.
Man O War. That name is just fantastic. :P

Years
I love nicknaming my Pokemon!! :D

I think of them more as actual names than nicknames... For example, in my monotype challenge right now, I have a Primeape named Apple. <3 Nicknames are fun. It's always sad though to see people name their Pokemon vulgar, rude, or unoriginal names.

Oh or HM SLAVE. <- THIS. D:

Back