• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Just to try and speculate Xerneas's and Yveltal's typing, perhaps maybe we can look at the possible theories that these two are based from. Going along with the theory of genetics and some speculation I saw the web, I made speculation about their typing earlier in this thread:

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this, or have speculated this, but I saw an interesting theory by some fans on the web.

If we're still going along with the whole 'biology' theme of this pokemon game, perhaps these theories can shed a little light on what their types might be. Well, look - A neuron is an electrically excitable cell that processes and transmits information to the brain through electrical and chemical signals. So, Xerneas, representing that 'neuron' could potentially be an electric type! (with the key word 'electrically'). As for it's secondary type? Well, that can be in the air; it can be anything, imo. One of the types I'm leaning more towards is grass, because, well, I'm thinking that the trailer provided a sort of hint that it might be a grass type, because it was conveniently in a forest. Then again, it could also be a steel type, because its art sorta... 'looks' resembled from Dialga, maybe it can also be Psychic, since it miiight fit in with it's natural ability of making it's horns glow vibrant colors, or with this possible neuron theme.

As for Yvental, I guess from the theory that it can represent muscles and blood, could it be some sort of Dark or Water type? Well, even though blood is thicker than water, it -is- still technically a liquid. Then again, maybe it can be a poison type too? Since 'poison' can be an adaptable substance like toxic chemicals. As for muscles, well, fighting types pretty much resemble muscles, so could that be a possibility? Then again, I'm also leaning more towards it being a Dark / Flying type as well, from my primary... speculations.

Maybe their types can be something like that?

But now, I'd like to take a look at another theory -- the Norse theory,

on which, maybe that can be another clue on both of their typings? Let's see... Asgard, home to the gods, is the first of these worlds. Asgard is located at the top of Yggdrasil, also home to a divine eagle. This eagle is said to be blind, but graced with the ability to see into the souls of all Yggdrasil's creatures from all nine realms. The majestic Yveltal reminds us of this eagle due to its avian features and "legendary" powers. Furthermore, as people and animals go blind, their eyes tend to develop a tinge of blue. Yveltal's eyes are a shocking light blue, as seen in the game's trailer, implying that it may be blind and/or have the ability to see into the souls of people and Pokémon.

So, I'm thinking that "the ability to see souls" might be a clue. Souls definitely remind me Psychic, Ghost, and Dark types. I'm leaning more towards Ghost and Dark for Yveltal, so maybe it can be one of those types; Ghost or Dark, because of it's color scheme of having Dark colors. Then again, Gamefreak might throw a curve ball and call it a "Psychic" type, which can be interesting as well. I think Flying type is a given for it's secondary type. I mean, it has wings and... it flies. Or maybe it's one of those weird pokemon that flies, but does not have a flying type. Although, I find that weird and... not very likely.

As for Xerneas, The middle of Yggdrasil(the trunk and ground), where Midguard is located, lives four mythical stags (deer) named Dainn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Durapror. All of the stages are said to have horns the shapes of Yggdrasil's tall branches so that they too may feel as if they lived high in the tree. Each stag also yields a different colored jewel in their horn. Dainn has a blue jewel, Dvalinn a crimson jewel, Duneyrr a stone of the sun (yellow) and Durapror a stone of the night (purple/black). It is also said that the stags crane their necks upward to chomp at the branches and pick apart the leaves. The Legendary Pokemon Xerneas is indeed not only a stag (deer), but it's antlers are in the shape of many branches. Among Xerneas antlers (branches) there appear to be different colors (gems, lights, ect..) and in the trailer the colors red, blue, and yellow can be seen quite clearly. It also seems that most artist renditions of Xerneas floating around the internet have purple in it's horns as well. Could Xerneas be the incarnation of the four stags in one? It seems very possible. Xerneas also appears to have no wings, which means it is stuck on the ground in a horizontal world.. representing X. The X axis is seen as the horizontal planeon the "ground" and this could also be another hint towards Pokemon X truly having Xerneas as it's legendary.

But what does this mean for it's typing? Well, this is a stretch, but, the different colors it has reminds me of Beheeyem, so could it be some sort of Psychic type? Then again, Beheeyem is sort of classified as an alien, so, maybe it's colors are just a representation of it's alien status. It's secondary typing can be... tricky to predict. Yuvental is high upon a higher plane, so, I see that Xerneas's secondary typing has to associate on being on the ground. What if it can be some sort of grass type? It can be interesting as it can be assosicated with trees, forests, etc. Although... Celebi is a grass and Psychic type because of associations with Time Travel and forests, so maybe that would be redundant? Or, maybe it's just a single type pokemon? Could it be a steel or rock type, because of Xerneas's possible associations with jewels? That can be quite a stretch, but... yeah. Like Derk said, I'm leaning for it to be some sort rock or steel type myself, which... it's typing when it comes to competitive might be interesting to see, but who knows how attractive it can be.

*oh and was referenced from another website*

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Pokémon associated with gems...well if we compare to past gem related Pokémon we got Sableye,Dialga, and Palkia,Spoink and evo. So it can be Dark, Psychic, Steel, Water (I doubt it), and Ghost...maybe.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Yveltal looks Dark/Flying to me, it being a scary bird, or even Dark/Dragon like Deino's evolutionary line. Not too sure what Xerneas is, but I think it's part Normal and maybe part Steel or Dark. I don't think there's been a Normal/Dark or Normal/Steel combo before.

Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2013
The elk-eqsue dear is Xerneas. Oh, I wish to have him someday. I wonder what type/s is he?

Guy

just a guy
Years
The elk-eqsue dear is Xerneas. Oh, I wish to have him someday. I wonder what type/s is he?
Unlike Yveltal, Xerneas is definitely the more obscure one when it comes to the matter of typing. I personally think it's going to be a Grass/Steel or Grass/Psychic type, but if Yveltal turns out Dark/Flying, then that leaves Xerneas with a large weakness against its counterpart. Hopefully we'll learn their typing soon enough though.

Years
I'll be disappointed if Yvetal were Dragon as it seems more flying than Dragon. Perhaps it'll be Dragon/Flying like Rayquaza or Psychic/Flying like Lugia... and Xerneas could be Steel/Dragon like Dialga, or Psychic/Grass like Celebi...personally I want Xerneas to have a new type combo but all the types we've guessed match up to older types...
Here's a suggestion, what if they're pure types like Blastoise,Pikachu, Groudon and Kyogre? Xerneas maybe pure steel or Psychic while Yvetal could be pure flying...

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Fighting/Grass is a horrible type combination competitively but it might make sense if these legendaries are on equal ground. That is, if they aren't a Groudon/Kyogre and one has a massive advantage over the other, anyway. In which case, Yveltal could have that specific advantage...

I'd hope that they wouldn't give one a giant advantage to one over the other, it just seems silly to me. If anything I'd like them to share one type and have the second one to be neutral to whatever their design provides (Mew/Mewtwo, Ho-Oh/Lugia, Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, Reshiram/Zekrom). Outside of Gen 3 it's been done, and it generally makes sense.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I could definitely see it as a Dark/Dragon and Xerneas as either Dark/Fighting or Dark/Grass. It might be weird for Game Freak to make only one of the two mascots a Dragon type, but honestly I have no problem with it. There's already enough Dragon legendary Pokémon as it is.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Now that I've actually thought about this carefully, I like them both equally. Compared to some other legendary designs I've seen they're sleek and badass! Also it's interesting how Yveltal is essentially a flying Y, while Xerneas horns are crossed in an X, I like how Game Freak cleverly put it there.

And I'm agreeing with Jake :3, honestly Game Freak went overboard with dragon-type legendaries. I'm tired of seeing them making a return, generation after generation when there are so many more countless possibilities out there. Yveltal has the look for a dragon-type though honestly but I'd also say there's quite a chance its a Dark/Flying.

As for Xerneas, I'm actually not too sure :B. Originally I was thinking of a grass and fighting but now I'm moving onto more unusual combos such as Grass/Steel, it'd be an interesting legendary to see :B. What do you guys think? :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I can see it being grass purely because it looks like Virizion and is in a forest ;_;

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Whoa, I never implied that I think Xerneas would be Ghost (notice how I ended the post with "I doubt its either"?). I was just saying the supposed reasoning would have been more of an argument for Ghost than Dark, as Dark is as much about darkness as Ghost, whereas death and mystery scream Ghost (Dark is actually called Evil in japan because its about sneaky unfair dishonest tactics).

I'll stand behind Grass and Dark/Flying till the types are revealed.

Anyway,
why does someone always bring up "balanced type match-up" for the legendary duo?
Its not like that matters the slightest bit. Kyogre > Groudon the end.

Years
Whoa, I never implied that I think Xerneas would be Ghost (notice how I ended the post with "I doubt its either"?). I was just saying the supposed reasoning would have been more of an argument for Ghost than Dark, as Dark is as much about darkness as Ghost, whereas death and mystery scream Ghost (Dark is actually called Evil in japan because its about sneaky unfair dishonest tactics).

I'll stand behind Grass and Dark/Flying till the types are revealed.

Anyway,
why does someone always bring up "balanced type match-up" for the legendary duo?
Its not like that matters the slightest bit. Kyogre > Groudon the end.

You got a point, however as I mentioned earlier in either this thread or in General chat Groudon and Kyogre made sense as water is more vast than land thus they aren't equal unlike say Zekrom and Reshiram.

Also I fear that if they did make one stronger type wise it may come off as one chromosome is better than the other...very bad implication there.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I think Xerneas and Yveltal look very different and each has their own "personality".
Xerneas looks like a wise, forest spirit type Pokemon, that protects others and stands for what is right.
Yveltal seems more like a Havoc and Destruction bringing Preying bird Pokemon, which is totally badass!! So far i like Yveltal more, because his design is really cool

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Either that or they'll be super-effective against each other like Zekrom and Reshiram were.
Talking of Reshiram/Zekrom, I can't wait to see what kind of special moves they have. I loved Reshiram/Zekrom's and I feel like these are going to have awesome moves, maybe DNA based??

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Reshiram and Zekrom really did have some awesome moves! DNA based attacks sounds like a cool theory, although i can't come up for an example right now ^^

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Maybe like Helix Shock and Helix Cloak. Cloak to... cloak in darkness from Yveltal, and shock to shock in terms of hitting hard with metal?? idk. :(

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I feel that both of their moves would have something to do with manipulating DNA of some sort, maybe manipulate your Pokemon's type as some sort of side-effect. That'd be interesting. @_@

This sounds like a really cool idea, I'd love to see that! Maybe the attacks could randomize the user or the opponent's type, or maybe change the opponents type to one that is weak to the legendaries type

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
You got a point, however as I mentioned earlier in either this thread or in General chat Groudon and Kyogre made sense as water is more vast than land thus they aren't equal unlike say Zekrom and Reshiram.

Also I fear that if they did make one stronger type wise it may come off as one chromosome is better than the other...very bad implication there.

I don't get it.. why would anyone think it implies some gender superiority or whatever you are getting at? Its types. If one is weak to the other, type chart happens.
Dialga has a SE STAB against Palkia, does that imply time is better than space? No.
They pick types that make sense for the legendaries. Maybe they take more into consideration (like the awesomeness factor), but this is certainly not what.

There is no reason to think they ever cared about competitive balance between mascot legends in the past, why would they now?
But there is evidence to the contrary, Kyogre completely beats Groudon competitively on every imaginable level, yet plot-wise they are presented as perfect counterparts.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
The problem that that would possibly imply is that if one chromosome is better than the other, then it's saying it's the superior gender. It's silly, but it has consequences that they don't really want to go against. However if that determines what they do for the typing of the legendaries I'd be upset, since it's pretty silly in nature.

Back