• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonist & Rival relationship.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
He looks kind of smug to me, which isn't really anything new compared to past rivals. I just quite like his design. He doesn't seem that mysterious. Both him and the other two protagonists seem to be wearing [swimsuits] under their clothes (although it's a little hard to tell with his trousers) but yeah - I think that shows some relationship from where they come from.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
Idk I hate the idea of "I'm evil I'm evil I'm evil whoop I'm good now!" It's just so boring and overdone no matter how you dress it up. ;x I want an arrogant know-it-all rival who's condescending to the PC but in a "maybe some day you'll be as good as me" kind of way, who's shocked when you beat him in the end, lol.

But that's been done most of the anime rivals. D:

Shinji and Drew were that way originally..

IMO this rival is cool, regardless. XD

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well I don't watch the anime so that doesn't relate to me. D;

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020

But that's been done most of the anime rivals. D:

Shinji and Drew were that way originally..

IMO this rival is cool, regardless. XD
^ Basically! I can't wait to see what GameFreak has in mind for our rival.

So in our hometown he follows us around the city which is pretty awesome. I wish I knew what the dialogue was all about, just so I could determine his attitude toward the protagonist. :B

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

^ Basically! I can't wait to see what GameFreak has in mind for our rival.

So in our hometown he follows us around the city which is pretty awesome. I wish I knew what the dialogue was all about, just so I could determine his attitude toward the protagonist. :B
I thought it was kind of cute that he followed the main character. c':
I'm hoping that since he was following the protagonist that he's friendly towards us. Of course, he could be a jerk that was like "That's the school, stupid y u so n00b?" So there's always that scenario.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
If he's friendly in the beginning, I'm hoping either Akumora or Team Plasma (orrr, the new evil team if not Plasma) will make him "realize what he wants to do in life". Then he could join their side, and be this epic rival we never had before.

Years
  • Seen May 14, 2012
I think his personality is like Silver, Blue, and Barry. Or maybe only clever and charming to the player and friends.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
If he's friendly in the beginning, I'm hoping either Akumora or Team Plasma (orrr, the new evil team if not Plasma) will make him "realize what he wants to do in life". Then he could join their side, and be this epic rival we never had before.
Aha, that does kind of sound like a cool scenario, not exactly original - but I suppose for a Pokémon game. I could picture it quite well.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think his personality is like Silver, Blue, and Barry. Or maybe only clever and charming to the player and friends.

Misread as female, which is interesting, because other than the female protagonist, I think he might be a womanizer in order to get to where he needs to get. Or at least willing to pull all the shots to win. ;)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I see the rival acting like he knows it all more than a womanizer. :p

I guess towards the protagonist he'll be more like Gary/Barry (but in less of a rush) in a way, since they are childhood friends. To everyone else, he could be pushy and wicked.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
^ I agree, I see him as being all Barry and May/Brandon to us, but Blue like to everyone else, that would mean that he only feels confortable with people he knows and comes off as rude to those he doesn't know...that's an interesting characteristic combo I haven't seen in any rival in the games so far.

Clacla

karp karp karp
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
I hope his personality is so different from it. What I'm hoping his personality will be is a mixture of Barry and Gary. Some medium between the two.

http://serebii.net/black2white2/pics.shtml#

The rival and protagonist are together in most of these pictures. SQUEEEE!!!

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but maybe there will finally be a rival that sticks with you most of the game? I'd feel happier, knowing that my true friends weren't only Pokemon, tbh.

Years
Maybe the player is the only friend the rival has due to his attitude which is why he follows us so closely, making his dependent on us...if that's the case I'll feel sorry for him :(

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but maybe there will finally be a rival that sticks with you most of the game? I'd feel happier, knowing that my true friends weren't only Pokemon, tbh.
YES. I would love this! I'm hoping that the rival/protagonist will be close enough to travel and stick together more than just at random points in the games. The rivals going off on their own to be stronger than you gets boring and it's very generic.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Oh my God, and what if you're going through the grass with him with you, you meet a wild Pokemon, and he catches the Pokemon on the route, instead of having a SET team? That would be magical. <333

Years
Oh my God, and what if you're going through the grass with him with you, you meet a wild Pokemon, and he catches the Pokemon on the route, instead of having a SET team? That would be magical. <333
I can see that happening with his second Pokemon similar to how Wally caught his first Pokemon, minus we actually have to weaken it this time rather than the computer working ^_^.

Clacla

karp karp karp
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017

That would be cool. And double battles in grass with your rival, and every here and there he catches a Pokemon. I could see myself putting his Pokemon asleep, or KOing it, because he could become an annoying thief.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020

I can see that happening with his second Pokemon similar to how Wally caught his first Pokemon, minus we actually have to weaken it this time rather than the computer working ^_^.
I'd kill the Pokémon he would try to catch on purpose. ;) Which you also have to take into account. It would be fun if the protagonist and rival traveled together, but he should also venture off and catch Pokémon by himself so we'll be "surprised".

Years
He could leave after we arrive in a town, and arrive in the following one to challenge us, then we go together again and so on. I can also see him teaming up with us like Steven and Barry did against the antagonists.
Part of me is also hoping that their is a second rival we have yet to see...like Wally did, except she doesn't steal the whole spot light of the first rival.

Back