• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ársa

k.
Years
Mixed Greninja just simply isn't worth it. Anything its physical movepool can do, the special can do better. The only physical move aside from U-turn I would even consider would be acrobatics, and even then only if a water / ice / flying gem were available in-game.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
Mixed Greninja just simply isn't worth it. Anything its physical movepool can do, the special can do better. The only physical move aside from U-turn I would even consider would be acrobatics, and even then only if a water / ice / flying gem were available in-game.
I know, but the guy asked for both special and mixed sets, so I tried to give him something.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Elemental monkies advice? (Also mixed attacker advice in general)

Hi, I'm at a loss for what to do with the monkies. I initially got them with Hasty or Naive natures, trained their Att and SP Att to make them mixed attackers, (because i like to make use of a pokemon's naturally highest stats) however given their fairly low defences to begin with, I thought maybe I should make them Timid or Jolly, and make each one a physical OR special attacker and max their speed.

This worked out great with Pansage (Jolly with Seed Bomb, Recycle, Rock Slide and Dig) as all it's type weaknesses are covered. Pansear was a little harder (Timid with Flame Burst, Recycle, Grass Knot and ??? Which will likely end up being Focus blast) because all of it's weaknesses are taken care of by Grass Knot, but I might put on Focus Blast just to really make sure Rock types are taken care of, lol! However, my second special attacker, Panpour, is the hardest one to figure out. (It is also Timid with Scald, recycle, Ice Beam and I'm stumped on the 4th move) a ground move would be amazing and take care of it's last weakness, but the only ground attack it learns us dig, which is terrible on a Timid nature. I don't know why it can't learn one if the mud moves if Pansear/Simisear can learn grass not and solar beam. Anyway, any advice on an attack move for Panpour that doesn't duplicate special moves already in my other two monkies?

Now this brings up a further question in general for pokemon with equally good attack stats, should you sacrifice one if your defense stats in order to make both attacks maxed out? Or should you pick one type of attacker to make it and sacrifice the other kind of attack stat? I really need advice, thanks! (And I know about Smogon, it wasn't that helpful in my opinion) thanks for any advice/opinions

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hi, I'm at a loss for what to do with the monkies. I initially got them with Hasty or Naive natures, trained their Att and SP Att to make them mixed attackers, (because i like to make use of a pokemon's naturally highest stats) however given their fairly low defences to begin with, I thought maybe I should make them Timid or Jolly, and make each one a physical OR special attacker and max their speed.

This worked out great with Pansage (Jolly with Seed Bomb, Recycle, Rock Slide and Dig) as all it's type weaknesses are covered. Pansear was a little harder (Timid with Flame Burst, Recycle, Grass Knot and ??? Which will likely end up being Focus blast) because all of it's weaknesses are taken care of by Grass Knot, but I might put on Focus Blast just to really make sure Rock types are taken care of, lol! However, my second special attacker, Panpour, is the hardest one to figure out. (It is also Timid with Scald, recycle, Ice Beam and I'm stumped on the 4th move) a ground move would be amazing and take care of it's last weakness, but the only ground attack it learns us dig, which is terrible on a Timid nature. I don't know why it can't learn one if the mud moves if Pansear/Simisear can learn grass not and solar beam. Anyway, any advice on an attack move for Panpour that doesn't duplicate special moves already in my other two monkies?

Now this brings up a further question in general for pokemon with equally good attack stats, should you sacrifice one if your defense stats in order to make both attacks maxed out? Or should you pick one type of attacker to make it and sacrifice the other kind of attack stat? I really need advice, thanks! (And I know about Smogon, it wasn't that helpful in my opinion) thanks for any advice/opinions

For fast mixed attackers, sacrificing a defensive stat is ideal because they tend to be low regardless. Recycle isn't worth using because it wastes a valuable move sot that could be used for coverage or better utility.

Simisage:
-Substitute
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Rock)
-Superpower
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

or
-Substitute
-Seed Bomb
-Acrobatics
-Low Kick/Endeavor
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 8 HP/248 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Flying Gem

or
-Nasty Plot
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Rock)
-Focus Blast/Substitute
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Salac Berry

Simisear:
-Nasty Plot
-Fire Blast
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power (Rock)/Focus Blast
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe

or
-Overheat
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power (Rock)/Focus Blast
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

Simipour:
-Nasty Plot
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power (Grass)/Grass Knot

or
-Substitute
-Nasty Plot
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
Item: Salac Berry
Ability: Gluttony

or
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power (Grass)/Grass Knot
-Surf/Focus Blast
Item: Choice Scarf

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
Ok, I just got an Eevee with its Hidden Ability. I plan to evolve it into a Sylveon (jumpin' on that bandwagon), and so it'll have Pixilate as its ability. Are there any moves, available now or once the PokeBank is released, that are worth using in conjuction with Pixilate?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Ok, I just got an Eevee with its Hidden Ability. I plan to evolve it into a Sylveon (jumpin' on that bandwagon), and so it'll have Pixilate as its ability. Are there any moves, available now or once the PokeBank is released, that are worth using in conjuction with Pixilate?

Hyper Voice is the only move worth using with Pixilate, but you have to wait till Poke Bank, sadly.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
Hyper Voice is the only move worth using with Pixilate, but you have to wait till Poke Bank, sadly.

Will that be something that can be bred onto an Eevee? I'd rather not have to try and get a female Modest Eevee on my Black 2...

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
No. Hyper Voice is a B2/W2 tutor move.

Ahhhh...oh well. It's just one move, and while its nice that it now hits through Subs, its not the end of the world if I don't use it. Maybe I'll throw it on a Reshiram on Showdown...

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Tiers effectively scale-up. Staring at NU, the pokemon that are too powerful for that tier move up. This continues to Ubers. Just because a pokemon is tiered in UU however, does not mean it is useless in OU. However generally, the reason for a pokemon being below OU is one of either: bad stat distribution, limited movepool, considerably bad typing, or it is outclassed by another pokemon in close to every facet.

Is it best to match up teams according to Tiers?

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
Is it best to match up teams according to Tiers?

If playing singles, yes it's normally best to match tiers up. There are a few exceptions to this however. An example being Ferrothorn being run on Uber teams. Ferro is OU, but it can run very well on Ubers teams. If doing doubles, tiers don't matter the slightest.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
Questions on Pokemon VGC

I just wanted to ask some questions about the Pokemon Video Game Championships. The questions are mainly directed at people who've actually participated in a previous VGC, but if you know the answer or have something to share, go ahead. If the questions I ask seem a little nooby, that's because they are. I've never been into competitive battling before X/Y and I'm only getting into it now, so bear with me. XD;
What are the prizes like? Are they just trophies/ribbons/medals or cash prizes/gift cards?
How different are the official VGC rules to the Smogon clauses?
Are there local tournaments as well as the international tournament held every year?
If so, what kinds of prizes do they give out at the local tournaments?

Thanks in advance! :D

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
Is Echoed Voice worth it on Mega Gardevoir? Or I will have to wait for Pokebank for Hyper Voice?

Hyper Voice is the better option for sure, if you can get it. It now bypasses Substitutes! And Echoed voice is a bit weak. Yeah, it can get stronger if you use it repeatedly, but you aren't gonna get a lotta chances to do that.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
Hello all, I'm seeking advice on a good Goodra set. I'm trying to run it in a doubles rain dance team. So far I have this,

Ability: Hydration
-Rain Dance
-Draco Meteor
-Thunder
-Substitute
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Sp.D
Item: Assault Vest

Should I invest more in HP than in Sp.D? Are these moves viable? How far did I miss the mark?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hello all, I'm seeking advice on a good Goodra set. I'm trying to run it in a doubles rain dance team. So far I have this,

-Rain Dance
-Draco Meteor
-Thunder
-Substitute
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Sp.D
Item: Assault Vest

Should I invest more in HP than in Sp.D? Are these moves viable? How far did I miss the mark?
Assault Vest prevents Goodra from using status moves. You have two status move on you, so that's not good.

Though Goodra is best off using Sap Sipper or Gooey as its abilities, rain Goodra is a different and interesting take on it, IMO:
-Dragon Pulse
-Muddy Water/Sludge Wave
-Thunder/Focus Blast
-Protect/Rain Dance
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Item: Assault Vest/Haban Berry/Roseli Berry/Yache Berry/Sitrus Berry

Note that if this Goodra isn't running Rain Dance, it must be paired with Politoed and/or other Rain Dance inducers.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
My team has 2 problems, Fighting types and status problems. Who would would be better to use Dragonite or Bronzong to go with this team. Note that I WOULD use sand veil but Showdown bans that ability

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor
- Brick Break
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Lum Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
I just wanted to ask some questions about the Pokemon Video Game Championships. The questions are mainly directed at people who've actually participated in a previous VGC, but if you know the answer or have something to share, go ahead. If the questions I ask seem a little nooby, that's because they are. I've never been into competitive battling before X/Y and I'm only getting into it now, so bear with me. XD;
What are the prizes like? Are they just trophies/ribbons/medals or cash prizes/gift cards?
How different are the official VGC rules to the Smogon clauses?
Are there local tournaments as well as the international tournament held every year?
If so, what kinds of prizes do they give out at the local tournaments?

Thanks in advance! :D

Just saw this just now.

1. Prizes: Actual physical prizes for anyone who places uhh... I think it was 16th and higher. The prizes from first and second has travel money awarded. First also gets a trophy and a 3DS. Everyone from 1st to 16th also gets several packs of booster cards. And you get more packs the higher your ranking. Actually, I'm just pulling things out of my unreliable memory. Just check this link here.
http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/vg-autumn-regional-championships/faq/

2. Disregard Smogon clauses altogether. The only relevant clauses are the species clause (no two pokemon may share the same 'dex number) and item clause (no two pokemon may use the same item). Also, all cover and event legendaries are banned. Finally, all pokemon NOT found in the Kalos 'dex are banned. Actually, disregard all Smogon playstyles altogether. Not even Smogon doubles can prepare you for VGC.

3. There's a series of regionals and nationals that happen every year before the World Championships. Europe, the US, Canada (if you're able to travel to the US), Australia, Japan, and South Africa all have their own sets of qualifiers. I'm not sure if any other countries have anything going on. Most don't, though.

3-b. Local tournaments do their own thing. They may or may not have prizes depending on whether the league owner decides to have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back