• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen XY from the eyes of 1st Gen

Years
Hey everyone!

So, I have yet to pick up a 2/3ds and play the newer pokemon games. I've been an avid player and huge fan since RBY, but once I got older and started college I've been a little more tight on money and never really had the chance to buy the latest. I'm playing Crystal right now... It's definitely my favorite game. Anyway, I'm really interested in XY! I love how the strategy seems to be getting more in depth, and the storylines look good! I really want to invest in the game, but I've only watched youtube playthroughs. Can anyone who has been playing since the earlier generations give me a little insight as to how they like XY? What's new, what's challenging, what do you like and dislike? Id love to hear everyone's thoughts and see if I should try it out!!

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Hey everyone!

So, I have yet to pick up a 2/3ds and play the newer pokemon games. I've been an avid player and huge fan since RBY, but once I got older and started college I've been a little more tight on money and never really had the chance to buy the latest. I'm playing Crystal right now... It's definitely my favorite game. Anyway, I'm really interested in XY! I love how the strategy seems to be getting more in depth, and the storylines look good! I really want to invest in the game, but I've only watched youtube playthroughs. Can anyone who has been playing since the earlier generations give me a little insight as to how they like XY? What's new, what's challenging, what do you like and dislike? Id love to hear everyone's thoughts and see if I should try it out!!

This is just a suggestion, but I suggest you wait and buy the third version of X and Y whenever it becomes available. I'm not saying X and Y are bad games, but their post-content sucks. There's nothing to do than to breed your perfect 'mons for online battles and such. :/

I believe X and Y are GameFreak's "test games for the 3DS," hence why there's a lot of things that they could have improved or added to make X and Y a wonderful game.

Anyway, if you really are interested to buy a 2DS/3DS and a 3DS PKMN game, I suggest you buy Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire, or wait for the third version of X and Y. :3

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
As a warning, X and Y doesn't really have a good storyline. The lore is exceptional, but sadly the story and most of the characters is rushed and tacked together. If you want storyline, go play Black and White or the spinoffs like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Gameplay wise though it works alright but it's not too polished. There's a 3D feature that you can use if you own a 3DS that simulates a 3D environment, allowing your Pokemon to appear 3D, but it only works in battle or in certain areas. The Pokemon themselves this time aren't represented in sprite form; they're shown in cel-shaded 3D models which look alright but have palette issues and lack color and have limited animation. It's certainly less buggy than R/B/Y/G/S/C, so if that's a plus to you then have at it. The game has a lot of new features to play with like Super Training, which makes it easier to EV train your Pokemon while getting useful items, Pokemon Amie which lets you pet, feed, and play games with your precious Pokemon, and Wonder Trade which lets you trade your Pokemon with a random person. Mega Evolution adds an element of strategy and gives some Pokemon that weren't as useful before new life, at the cost of some of the dorkiest designs I've ever seen in Pokemon. You'll laugh your head off once you see Mega Alakazam and Mega Slowbro.

It's fun to play with and is certainly not unplayable, but if you've played a lot of Pokemon games then it's not at the top of the list. Just be aware that if you want to participate in tournaments you're better off getting Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire, because they have several Mega Evolutions that X and Y do not, and because of that most tournaments won't let you enter with X and Y.

Years
Thank you, guys! I appreciate your feedback. I guess I'll hold off for a little bit :) nothing wrong with the amazing replay value of RBY/GSC/RSE

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
Thank you, guys! I appreciate your feedback. I guess I'll hold off for a little bit :) nothing wrong with the amazing replay value of RBY/GSC/RSE

I'll just state my case too, gen 6 is an amazing leap up from RBY and earlier gens. I picked up Soulsilver and then white having not played a pokemon game since RBY and those seemed huge improvements but Gen 6 really is a whole new level. The graphics are brilliant, full 3D models and decent animations for most attacks and moves, the worlds look a lot better now its not all sprites too with cutscenes panning around and the player characters look great.

X/Y are fun games with some nicer touches that make you feel part of the game (character customisation, large group of friends all on the journey rather than the usual rival/firend), OR/AS aside from catching a few legendaries and contests have about the same endgame content but has some nicer features like Soaring on Latios/Latias, Dexnav for hunting those last few pokemon you need. It lacks the character customisation which is a shame as when battling online you see the same 2 character models all the time. Story wise both are good, OR/AS has a bit extra in the form of the Delta episode.

I bought OR first and then played X and while id definitely say OR/AS are more refined id rather have played X/Y first then OR/AS to get the wow of the gen 6 features and then the niceness of the OR/AS improvements.

Id definitely recommend you play Gen 6, you wont regret it in the slightest. If you're short on cash then start with OR/AS otherwise go for X/Y and then OR/AS.

Years
Quite some negativity about X & Y here... Sorry but I have to disagree I think X & Y are fantastic apart from the story. I don't play competitively, I don't breed Pokemon for perfect stats.

Like I said before the story is a bit meh, but I must say the first game didn't have a fantastic story either. The Story isn't so bad, It's not just as good as other games it was a little bit disappointing. However the graphics and game play is what makes X & Y shine. It's Beautiful, I don't get bored walking around in Kalos. They put so much work in to this game and it shows, You see a lot of detail and you feel they tried to make the new Pokemon game still feel nostalgic. They brought back older Pokemon and gave them new evolutions, they introduced a new type; Fairy. They made character customization possible. You can trade online with strangers and even randomly, completing the Pokedex is so much easier. They introduced Pokemon-Amie; a tamagotchi feature for Pokemon, I just love how my Pokemon interact with me when I battle because I played with them in Amie. Oh and don't forget the rollar-skates and riding on different pokemon which are lovely features. I love the new Pokemon they introduced, It's just a very lovely game and I would recommend it to anyone who likes Pokemon.

But I have to say play the other games first! They are all very lovely. Especially if you are a crystal fan you should Play SoulSilver & HeartGold. They are my favourite games and they are re-makes from the second generation. If you can't afford a 3DS you can always look for a older secondhand DS (You can find them relatively cheap) and try playing 4th and 5th generation Pokemon games! You won't be disappointed. ^-^

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Though PSS, Pokemon Amie and Super Training. You might find the kalos league was a breeze. The gym leader are super easy, even elite four and the champion is no challenge at all. Though customization was a nice and awesome feature that Gen6 come. You better off with ORAS since new megas introduced and also soaring whichs beats flying and possiblity to get a Gen4 legendaries that are legit shiny.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I actually am very similar to the op. I first played Pokemon RBY in the late 90's, my favorite game and the game I played the longest was Crystal. Unfortunately my Crystal game erased itself recently so I lost of the Pokemon I considered part of my family.

I never bought a DS so I skipped Gen 4, I did buy a 3DS and Black 2 and played it for awhile but lost interest after since X/Y came out shortly after. The weird thing about playing Pokemon now compared to when I was 9 is that now there is so much more things to worry about in game, things I don't really understand or get such as IV's and stats and shiny hunting. I don't think any of that mattered to me when I was 9.

I just played with the Pokemon I liked and I'd delete a move to get a new move and find out what it did by fighting a wild Pokemon. I usually got rid of status moves. Interestingly I use more status moves in Y.

I definitely still use Pokemon i like, for example in Y I have a Klefki and an Emolga on my team. I find it funner now to use Pokemon like them then to use the most popular Pokemon. I didn't buy Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire mostly because I didn't really like the originals, I didn't like the Gen 3 Pokemon for the most part.

Some things I don't like about Y is the intros to battles, it seems like battles take twice as long now with the intros. And the text, so much talking. The original games would have maybe 1 line and the person in a pose, now they have to tell you their life story and do a move.

PS didn't notice the last post date sorry for bumping the thread.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
It's fine. I changed the thread revival limit from 1 month to 2 months a few weeks ago, so this thread is still postable in.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
It's much better than the Gen 5 games as it feels more like a adventure rather than a path you walk through. There is more exploration than those games, but not by much. All the 3DS games also have poor 3D support and inconsistent frame rates, and X/Y's story feels unfinished. I would recommended to start OR/AS as it feels more complete than X/Y and will feel new even if you've already played R/S.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
All Gen VI games, whether they are Kalos-based or Hoenn ones, they share the same fault: lacking of post game contents to offer, like all the Kanto games. Lol

However if you enjoy Pokémon RPG, there's no harm in playing XY/OrAs. Aesthetic wise they are all beautiful. XY's storyline is not that bad but it's certainly incomplete. The Hoenn remakes-plot completed what the original RS was missing, the whole Hoenn saga feels rounded than before.

Is it worth trying? It is, if you love Pokémon.

skyburial

Orca Hype
Years
What I will say is that gameplay-wise, ORAS is leaps and bounds ahead of X and Y, and quite possibly the most immersive Pokemon game ever made, going past even B/W and HG/SS. The characters (most notably Zinnia, Steven, Wally, Norman and the evil team leaders) are well-developed and integrated into the story. The post-game content is expansive to say the least, even after the Delta Episode. And there's nothing so far in the entire series that really touches the ecstasy of flying into space on the back of Mega Rayquaza - although catching Giratina in DPP and deep-sea diving the trench is RSE came close.

As a result, I have high hopes for X/Y part 3. But then again, I think we were getting leaks of content for ORAS this same time last year, and lately all we're getting from the Pokemon Company and CoroCoro is half-baked articles about Hoopa.

Years
To be honest, both 6th Gen games aren't perfect given the little postgame content but there have been other things the games did get right.

What I'd recommend to anyone new to playing this generation is to start with X/Y so they can adapt to the new mechanics and see how everything works, and while the characters and story aren't the best there is still a huge selection of obtainable Pokemon during the main story which makes for very flexible team building options.

OR/AS on the other hand improved some of X/Y's flaws, added new Mega Evolutions and despite lacking the trainer customization we got in X/Y it does at least have more color to the graphic style and the DexNav feature has been a godsend in that it can allow you to potentially catch competitive-strength Pokemon or ones with egg moves. You can also soar on Latios and Latias and catch various Legendary Pokemon after you encounter and catch/defeat Kyogre and/or Groudon. The Delta Episode is also a nice little extra sidequest postgame where you catch Rayquaza as well as encounter (and catch) Deoxys, in space nonetheless!

As the others mentioned, the 3D feature on the 3DS isn't used to its best and the framerate sometimes lags but they're not terrible games. Mega Evolution adds a whole new strategy to battling, plus the addition of Fairy-type shakes things up even further. Pokemon Amie is a fun minigame where you can bond with your Pokemon and trust me, it shows the cute side to even the most menacing Pokemon, and there's also Super Training for competitive enthusiasts where you do these ball-shooting games to raise your EVs and potentially get some good items for prizes as well.

I still would recommend 6th Gen to any Pokemon player, if you're one who wants more features and can only get one game I'd mainly recommend OR/AS but if you want to collect all the Pokemon it's recommended to get both X/Y and OR/AS especially because you can catch literally almost everything just by trading between the two games.

jasonthedrag0n

Disco Elephant
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 30, 2022
I actually am very similar to the op. I first played Pokemon RBY in the late 90's, my favorite game and the game I played the longest was Crystal. Unfortunately my Crystal game erased itself recently so I lost of the Pokemon I considered part of my family.

I never bought a DS so I skipped Gen 4, I did buy a 3DS and Black 2 and played it for awhile but lost interest after since X/Y came out shortly after. The weird thing about playing Pokemon now compared to when I was 9 is that now there is so much more things to worry about in game, things I don't really understand or get such as IV's and stats and shiny hunting. I don't think any of that mattered to me when I was 9.

I just played with the Pokemon I liked and I'd delete a move to get a new move and find out what it did by fighting a wild Pokemon. I usually got rid of status moves. Interestingly I use more status moves in Y.

I definitely still use Pokemon i like, for example in Y I have a Klefki and an Emolga on my team. I find it funner now to use Pokemon like them then to use the most popular Pokemon. I didn't buy Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire mostly because I didn't really like the originals, I didn't like the Gen 3 Pokemon for the most part.

Some things I don't like about Y is the intros to battles, it seems like battles take twice as long now with the intros. And the text, so much talking. The original games would have maybe 1 line and the person in a pose, now they have to tell you their life story and do a move.

Sounds like we had a similar experience.

Personally I'd recommend the OP to try Y, though you can't go wrong with OR either. (Or X in place of Y or AS in place of OR but I personally think that those two are the better options of each set in terms of Pokemon and other game specific exclusives).

Back