• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tales of Namco ★ Club~

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
Years
I don't know if this counts as one thing about any one of the games, but I wish each game was released on more than one console.
I need to buy a PS3 for Graces f and Xillia, and even then I won't be able to play any of the PS2 ones.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I would make Phantasia release on more than just the GBA in America. But I supporse the brilliant fan translatation of the PS1 version makes up for it. Instead, I think I would change some of the games (like Legendia and 3DS Abyss) to be multiplayer.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
More spinoffs translated to English. ;~; This is seriously like the only series ever that I actually like every spinoff I've played. The Tales characters just lend themselves so well to inane conversations and while my Japanese is good enough that I can usually follow plot in video games no problem, I definitely appreciate the Tales translations more than the originals because I can get all the nuances of conversation (ie: I can actually understand how and why Jade is making fun of people instead of just knowing that he is XD).

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS is amazing! Completely worth the multiple trips to many GameStops just to find one! Unlike other PS2 games I've seen ported to the 3DS, Abyss is a direct, virtually unedited port! The menus, features, the everything! It's just like the PS2 version! I also noticed bug fixes too (no more Asch glitch...) and also a strange bit of Engrish.

I haven't played the PS2 version in a while so correct me if I'm wrong. I remember when someone learns a new arte or AD skill when leveling up, it says "New Skill". The 3DS version says "New Skill Get". Also when the Overlimit bar is full, it says"Overlimit". The 3DS version says "Overlimits". Weird.

Years
I haven't played the PS2 version in a while so correct me if I'm wrong. I remember when someone learns a new arte or AD skill when leveling up, it says "New Skill". The 3DS version says "New Skill Get". Also when the Overlimit bar is full, it says"Overlimit". The 3DS version says "Overlimits". Weird.

I didn't even notice that during my playthrough of the 3DS version lawlz.

Still the fast loading times more than makes up for any little Engrish quirks. o3o

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I don't mind a bit of Engrish, Abyss's awesomeness makes up for it. I just wonder how it happened. Why would they change it to that in the first place? Isn't it a port of the English PS2 version? Or is it a re-translation of the Japanese 3DS version?

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Speaking of Abyss, I plan on replaying it soon once I finish my current game (ToD2). Bought and finished the game back when it was originally released in '06, and haven't touched it since. Honestly don't remember much about the game itself aside from the open ending. :\

Cherrim

Years
Unlike other PS2 games I've seen ported to the 3DS, Abyss is a direct, virtually unedited port!
This actually makes me sad because I was really, really hoping they'd gather the voice cast together and voice the skits. :( I mean, it was a pipe dream but that would seriously have made me buy a 3DS just for that.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
This actually makes me sad because I was really, really hoping they'd gather the voice cast together and voice the skits. :( I mean, it was a pipe dream but that would seriously have made me buy a 3DS just for that.

True, but it's still much better than editing the crap out of it to the point where it's not even the same game anymore like Metal Gear Solid 3D.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
Years

I never played the PS2 one, but I started playing this 3DS version after finishing Vesperia, and was a little disappointed that the skits weren't voiced D:

The only problem i've had with Abyss 3DS so far is the occasional jarring framerate drop.
Never happens in battle or in cutscenes though, only sometimes in the overworld map and rarely in certain town sections, so i'm fine with it.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Despite disliking just about everything about ToS2, I was quite pleased they actually took the time to fully voice all the skits.

Wasn't Legendia the same? Though I think the skits were pretty few in number.

Cherrim

Years
The skits are voiced in Legendia, I guess, but they're also kind of awkward and half the cutscenes [that I have seen so far] were just in skit form anyway. o_O I also seem to remember hearing that nearly the entire second half of the game wasn't voiced at all?

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Nah, it's the only the epilogue arc that isn't voiced at all. Then again, after listening to Shirley's voice for so long some silence wasn't so bad. :\

I guess Namco just doesn't go all out in their localizations. Still not as bad as completely removing the skits in Destiny and Eternia though.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Yaaay. I finished Graces! (The main story anyway, I just started the next part)

Spoiler:

Joshawott

Banned
Years
I'm not sure exactly where to post this, but how do you guys get AI player to cast Mystic Artes? They don't do it very consistently...

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Depends on which game. Most should allow you to switch characters during battle. In that case, I switch to the ready person to activate it manually. That's why in Abyss, their stragety is to not use Overlimit, so I can activate it at the right time manually. Also, in Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2, (and possibly more) you can buy a Mystic Arte command so they use it automatically as soon as they are able to.

Cherrim

Years
Pretty sure in the strategy menu for most games, you can set when they'll use their overlimits. Usually you have a choice between "never" and "as soon as it's charged", I think. Possibly "low HP" as well.

It's usually best to just switch and do it manually, though. In most games, you can just press pause and then press the start button and it'll cycle through the party so you can control who you need. (This is also helpful for when your healers decide they want to be warriors.)

Back