• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Caps or no caps?

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2021
I'm rewriting a lot (almost all) the text and a lot of things are capitalised, pokemon names, move names, items...

But I was wondering, do players prefer caps on these things or not? Personally I have no preferance but I always thought the caps were an iconic thing in Pokemon. I would like to know now before I have to redo everything. I don't want people to not play my hack because those things are capitalised.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
This looks like more of a discussion thread, I remember it's already been discussed either in a different thread or in the ROM Hacking DCC already, but another thread should work too. Moving this to ROM Hacking Hub.

Personally I prefer decapitalised, that's how the official games are now anyway, though I didn't mind when only the Pokémon names were in capitals either.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
to be honest I don't know what the difference is

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Yeah, to me it's rather negligible either way. I'm not going to look and a hack and decide whether or not to play it based on it's capitalization\decapitalization choices.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
Uncapitalized letters are the best. Also, that's how the current Generation games are now of days.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jun 2, 2018
I think the reason for caps in the oldest generations was due to a lack of color. Using caps made it obvious when you were talking about a game element like a move, Pokémon, or item. It also avoided needing special control codes to force capitalization when a word was inserted.

That said, using a different color for each of these types of words signifies what kind of thing it is and lets you stick to standard writing conventions.

Gamecube

C#-Maniac
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2015
You are not the only one who prefers caps in certain situations. Imagine a scene where two or more important characters pop up. By using caps, you can distinguish whether the person you are talking to is essential for the game or not. Also, if your game is old-fashioned and designed in the style of FR/LG/R/S/E, capslock just fits great :-)

Back