• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Week Four: Hardcore Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
10 weeks of anime: week four
Hardcore Weeaboos
(。・ω・。)

Hopefully this week will get some more activity! owo;

I know that for a while, I wouldn't tell people I watch anime. Not because I was embarrassed of the fact, I was embarrassed of the people who gave the interest a bad rap. It probably has a lot to do with when I was at lunch in High School, and I mentioned briefly that I watch anime when one of my acquaintances were going out of their way to make fun of some kid running around with a Naruto headband on his head. It was a vague attempt at asking her to leave him alone, no one likes a bully.

The reaction I got was "wow, you just literally admitted that you watch anime. Uhh, lol."

How do you feel about the stereotypical weeaboo?

Do you care if people irl know that you watch anime?​

Last edited:
Years
Hmmm, to be honest, I don't really know any hardcore Weeaboos, I used to have a friend who was insanly obsesed with Dragonballz though.

Am not that bothered about people knowing I like anime irl, but I would probably only tell someone that I liked anime if I knew they liked anime to, because there is no point boring anyone with something they are not interested in haha.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Hmmm, to be honest, I don't really know any hardcore Weeaboos, I used to have a friend who was insanly obsesed with Dragonballz though.

Am not that bothered about people knowing I like anime irl, but I would probably only tell someone that I liked anime if I knew they liked anime to, because there is no point boring anyone with something they are not interested in haha.

My thoughts exactly, I wouldn't bring up the topic of anime with people I know don't watch nor do I have an issue with people knowing I watch anime, Like a lot of people say it gets a bad rep of being a childish thing even though there is a such a vast amount of maturer animes out there. I don't know of any hardcore weeaboos either and I certainly wouldn't call myself one, even if I do have thoughts and flickers of thinking up my own anime scenes and thinking "wouldn't it be cool to be in a world like that" I mean most of us have thought that at some point lol. I do enjoy a good sing sing to anime themes and some *cough*Death parade*cough* just end up stuck in my head.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
I've never actually encountered any weeaboo around my country so far. We anime otaku are either closet fans or rather open, but no one really views the interest in a bad rep. Plus most of our childhood involves Naruto, DBZ, Pokemon and Doraemon anyway.

I would want to be vocal about my interest in anime, but it's kind of a hard topic to enter, especially in my campus since the faculty I entered is probably only the ones with top grades can enter. They'll find it boring anyway.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
First of all, what kind of weeaboo are we talking about?

According to the video, I'm not really one, because I am Japanese, and I don't do a lot of stuff mentioned in the video. I don't collect daki, swords, or whatever. But yeah, by other definitions, you could probably consider me one, because I go on vip2ch and stuff. I read LNs and VNs, play Touhou, Kancolle, and Shirohime, arrange music for two doujin circles, etc. Been to a few cons, nothing special there.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I gotta agree with Reisen... we should first specify what kind of weeaboo... or better, what attributes should one we should be talking about should have.

As for the second question, I'm pretty open when it comes to telling people I watch anime.
Pretty much everyone around me knows that.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I think the definition of someone who "denounces" their culture and thinks they're japanese can be misunderstood. Where I live we don't really have a specific culture, no one really celebrates any customs other than the "Major" ones, unless you're of a religion that does. Which means that my love of Japanese foods, culture and what not could define me as a "weeaboo" even though I'm not one of these people who is hardcore about Japanese culture and I wouldn't rage at anyone who disrespects it (Unless they were being naive and giving uneducated stereotypical comments about it)

Years
If people would ask me if I watch anime I would be honest and say I do but I wouldn't go out my way to tell someone I watch anime. I've met some people you can identify as a "weeaboo" but to be honest they don't really bother me. A lot of people go out of their way to badmouth or even bully "weeaboos" or people who watch anime and that bothers me, you shouldn't judge people on what they like. I fully agree with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woDE4Ah9zFQ

Last edited:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
First of all, what kind of weeaboo are we talking about?

According to the video, I'm not really one, because I am Japanese, and I don't do a lot of stuff mentioned in the video. I don't collect daki, swords, or whatever. But yeah, by other definitions, you could probably consider me one, because I go on vip2ch and stuff. I read LNs and VNs, play Touhou, Kancolle, and Shirohime, arrange music for two doujin circles, etc. Been to a few cons, nothing special there.

I gotta agree with Reisen... we should first specify what kind of weeaboo... or better, what attributes should one we should be talking about should have.

As for the second question, I'm pretty open when it comes to telling people I watch anime.
Pretty much everyone around me knows that.
Psst, guys, the thread doesn't ask if you are a weeaboo, it asks what you think of the stereotype ;)

Years
Some weeaboos need help. I'm okay with liking anime and manga/ light novels and visual novels. Support the industry by buying stuff(be it Blu-ray discs, figures and everything else). But there is a line which should not be crossed. Collecting (not just having one for the pure novelty of it) dakimakura pillows. Doing stuff do them, ya know like fucking them and having them with them in public. That is way too strange and wrong.

Also degrading pretty much the whole Japanese culture and summing it up to simply anime, manga and sushi.
I've read stories about people going to school in cat ears(some even with a tail) and saying ~nya or random Japanese words.
I mean come on this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85y-N5GJa9g is not normal. Maybe this is normal behavior at anime conventions, I haven't been to any so I wouldn't know. If it is like that this video pretty much killed my desire to attend a con.

Also those kinds of people are usually the loud minority(at least I hope they are a minority) and anime viewers get a lot of flack from pretty much everyone on the internet. They really need a reality check.

I don't mention that I watch anime to people. Mainly because the only anime people know here is either Naruto or Pokemon. So I would be labeled as a kid.

Years
I'd pretty much go along with what has been said on weeaboos, I don't I've came across one. I'm pretty sure they're an extreme rarity and I'm glad they exist because it's pretty funny seeing images of people at bars with body pillows.

I'm really not bothered if people know I watch anime. My friends are like a 50/50 split between people who also watch it and people who think it's weird, but they all know I watch it and don't mind. I'm not bothered at all about what people who aren't my friends know about me. People probably have to assume I'm into some weird stuff anyway.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
Personally for me, I don't mind people knowing I love anime. More or less, a lot of people at uni know I do. Then again it isn't uncommon considering I'm studying media design and especially those in the game design course and it's totally chill to have a love of anime - even some of the lecturers enjoy it.

As for thoughts on the stereotypical type, like said it depends. Though for me, I don't have much though on it as a general, but me actually having met a few weeaboos, it really just depends on the person.
Like a really good friend of mine is a complete weeb with all the saying "nya" and worshiping anime and stuff, but she isn't so bad that she actually has a realistic part of her. She's generally just fun to be around.

However on the other hand there are the more creepier and weirder set and some that are just plain annoying.
Like persay, there was this rather larger guy in my class last year who kept coming to my friends and I last year telling me that I was a loli and that he had a loli fetish in the most creepiest and somewhat pedophilic sounding manner and kept comparing me to his favorite 2D girls in his personal harem... kinda creepy.
Please stick your anime to anime and please don't treat real people like we are anime character who can be part of your personal harem (especially since I think he's done it to a few other girls too).
Well there's other stuff he does, but this is just one of the worst.

In particular local anime facebook group I'm in, there are definitely more than a couple. One especially comes with the stereotypical "JAPAN IS BETTER THAN EVERYTHING" and generally childish if anyone disagrees with anything he says anime-related and another who has a slight over obsession with a particular character who he posts her multiple times a day and has a shrine with mountains of her merch.
Just a key feature of what some particular ones, but that's only a few I've met.

Some are okay, but I'm met a few who are either are okay, annoyingly pain in the ass, weirder than the normal weird or incredibly creepy.

I have yet to meet one of these dudes though:

//rant over

Years
Personally for me, I don't mind people knowing I love anime. More or less, a lot of people at uni know I do. Then again it isn't uncommon considering I'm studying media design and especially those in the game design course and it's totally chill to have a love of anime - even some of the lecturers enjoy it.

As for thoughts on the stereotypical type, like said it depends. Though for me, I don't have much though on it as a general, but me actually having met a few weeaboos, it really just depends on the person.
Like a really good friend of mine is a complete weeb with all the saying "nya" and worshiping anime and stuff, but she isn't so bad that she actually has a realistic part of her. She's generally just fun to be around.

However on the other hand there are the more creepier and weirder set and some that are just plain annoying.
Like persay, there was this rather larger guy in my class last year who kept coming to my friends and I last year telling me that I was a loli and that he had a loli fetish in the most creepiest and somewhat pedophilic sounding manner and kept comparing me to his favorite 2D girls in his personal harem... kinda creepy.

Please stick your anime to anime and please don't treat real people like we are anime character who can be part of your personal harem (especially since I think he's done it to a few other girls too).
Well there's other stuff he does, but this is just one of the worst.

In particular local anime facebook group I'm in, there are definitely more than a couple. One especially comes with the stereotypical "JAPAN IS BETTER THAN EVERYTHING" and generally childish if anyone disagrees with anything he says anime-related and another who has a slight over obsession with a particular character who he posts her multiple times a day and has a shrine with mountains of her merch.
Just a key feature of what some particular ones, but that's only a few I've met.

Some are okay, but I'm met a few who are either are okay, annoyingly pain in the ass, weirder than the normal weird or incredibly creepy.

I have yet to meet one of these dudes though:

//rant over

Oh god poor you. This isn't kinda creepy, this is really strange and wrong. You don't seem too fazed by this. But this sent shivers down my spine, that ain't normal behavior.

Also about that video. I've heard that some people on /a/ (4chans anime board) have done this for fun, as a joke. But I guess some people really do these kinds of things seriously. I read a article some time ago that some dude married his 2D "waifu" . There are some boundaries people should not cross.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jun 2, 2018
I can totally understand back when anime first started filtering over to the USA not wanting to associate with it. There was a time when the only official stuff was hentai, or at least that's what the likes of Golgo 13 and Ninja Scroll seemed (released by Manga, who couldn't even pronounce their own name right). There were a few good things available if you knew exactly where to look. After answering the question 1) what is anime you'd immediately have to answer question 2) why do you watch "that".

I love admitting to watching it; it's a great intro to suggesting things for the other person to watch ;*)

Weeaboos are a frightening lot though, but so are any group that personify the pop culture of a country. Obsessive collectors are one thing, but some of this stuff really is weird. The "2D" mentality--sexualization of all things drawn--and then extending that as disrespect to real people is disordered. Sorry you had to be the target of that zappyspiker.

Skip Class

Years
Oh god poor you. This isn't kinda creepy, this is really strange and wrong. You don't seem too fazed by this. But this sent shivers down my spine, that ain't normal behavior.

Also about that video. I've heard that some people on /a/ (4chans anime board) have done this for fun, as a joke. But I guess some people really do these kinds of things seriously. I read a article some time ago that some dude married his 2D "waifu" . There are some boundaries people should not cross.

I think the first 6ish months I was more creeped out by it, but I didn't want to show him I was scared of him or anything. I think after that it I started feeling more of the "I'm sick of your shit" but it was still somewhat uncomfortable especially with him always patting my head like a dog.

Definitely heard that video was just a joke, but I won't be surprised if some people would actually do it.
This reminds me of some iPhone app that let you have your waifu on your phone with augmented reality and there was even a guy who married his iPhone waifu which is insane. - God I wish I had the video for it :s

Years
I think the first 6ish months I was more creeped out by it, but I didn't want to show him I was scared of him or anything. I think after that it I started feeling more of the "I'm sick of your shit" but it was still somewhat uncomfortable especially with him always patting my head like a dog.

Definitely heard that video was just a joke, but I won't be surprised if some people would actually do it.
This reminds me of some iPhone app that let you have your waifu on your phone with augmented reality and there was even a guy who married his iPhone waifu which is insane. - God I wish I had the video for it :s

This happened more than once?! Also patting, the heck.. That's just way too mich.

I've actually seen on Reddit people flaunting their freaking loli wallpapers on their phones. But not like some loli character from an manga/anime/light novel just standing or whatever . Oh no, of course not. They were either playing with themselves, or getting fucked. Like god people and then they go "it's not pedophilia if it's drawn". This shit really creeps me out.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
That's why we asked about which stereotype exactly you meant.

Weeaboo
1. A person so obsessed with japanese culture that they ignore their own.
2. Someone obsessed beyond healthy levels with anime.
3. People who ruin activities for other people with overzealous references to said anime.
4. People so oblivious to reality they only care about anime.
5. An action worthy of getting one's ass beaten.

I mean, the stereotype is all of those things, I'm not asking about just one aspect about it lol :(

Skip Class

Years
This happened more than once?! Also patting, the heck.. That's just way too mich.

Over the course of about a year and half yes :s Thankfully he hasn't been in any of my classes this year and I haven't seen him around much so I've been trying to avoid him at all my campuses.
But yeah, his ideals were basically:

Female ✓
Asian ✓
Short/tiny ✓ (5'2 in comparison to his 6-6'1)
Likes anime and video games ✓
____
= Idealized loli that should be mine.

My friend who pretty much falls under the checklist minus the asian still somewhat falls under the list as well and even though we did tell him to stop patting us multiple time he wouldn't. We told this one of our lectures who said he'd keep an eye on him, because he was also being a large dick and manbaby for other reasons (a.k.a ruining a group project and watches anime instead -.-)

But yeah, because of him, I've been somewhat more cautious to who I make "friends" with. If the checklist of a weeaboo that Chikara just posted was marked on him, he'd get 100%

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
I hate weaboos. I'm in love with Japanese culture, and I don't need to tell every person I meet about it. It's a hobby for God sake, don't let it take over you, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back