• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Random Writing Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
hmm, i have a question to writers here. if your character(s) curses in your story and you display it here, does it censor the curse words?
PC's swear filter is very picky when it comes to censoring swear words, and I honestly don't know what counts as a filtered swear or not. But if you don't format the swear words to not censor, then yes, your characters' swearing might be censored. FF&W is pretty much the only section you can get away with swearing because of the artistic freedom and what-not, so long as you're not too excessive with your swearing.

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
hmm, i have a question to writers here. if your character(s) curses in your story and you display it here, does it censor the curse words?

sorry if this is a bit off-topic.

Response spoilered for language. (I've always loved the warning on DVDs that says: Contains moderate language. I like to think they're trying to warn you that people might be communicating, and in a world where we live our lives in solitary confinement before the glowing screen of the computer, communication is of course the greatest horror of all.)

Spoiler:

MTG

Burning shooting star!
Years
Thanks everyone! I guess I could do that way what Cutlerine show. i may be can show the crossover i'm doing after all! (of course with spoilers and warnings)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
When I write, I want to have time to really sit down and write, something that doesn't come easy these days with university and people and all. But being home ill helps xD

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
When I write, I want to have time to really sit down and write, something that doesn't come easy these days with university and people and all. But being home ill helps xD
I now know what you're talking about. In high school, when someone would say something about being busy with college, I would just assume they're exaggerating. Anyways, I do like having a lot of time when I write too. I have noticed I come up with better ideas when I'm at home and execute them with less difficulty.

Starlit Horizon

Ⓟ ⓛ ⓐ ⓨ ⓣ ⓗ ⓔ ⓕ ⓘ ⓔ ⓛ ⓓ
Years
The problem is that I never get a chance to write, due to all the other hassle around. If I sit behind the desk and wholeheartedly write for an hour, I could easily get the stories done. It just doesn't happen.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 31, 2018
The problem is that I never get a chance to write, due to all the other hassle around. If I sit behind the desk and wholeheartedly write for an hour, I could easily get the stories done. It just doesn't happen.
Exactly. Our society is a too busy one :[

Maybe turn off the TV and all browser windows on your computer, put on some nice inspiring music and just write for the minutes you've got when you've got them? No need to write everything all at once. Even though I admit it's easier to keep things fluent and consistent when you do. But if you only write bits at a time, of a chapter for instance, you reread it often and can fix things up that you might not have thought about if you typed it all up at once.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
A poem we were covering in class actually pertains to this conversation very nicely. I'm not going to post the poem itself, since it's pretty long, but it does talk about how if you really wanted to do what you loved, you would find time for it. It doesn't matter how busy you are, if you want to create, you'll find ways to create. I forget the name of the poem, so I can't look it up, but I think it's true for the most part.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
Hi everyone! I want to join in on this conversation since this is a topic that I had a problem with about a year and a half ago. Good to see I'm not the only one who, at some point in time, felt this way.

A poem we were covering in class actually pertains to this conversation very nicely. I'm not going to post the poem itself, since it's pretty long, but it does talk about how if you really wanted to do what you loved, you would find time for it. It doesn't matter how busy you are, if you want to create, you'll find ways to create. I forget the name of the poem, so I can't look it up, but I think it's true for the most part.

This not only relates to writing, but life as well. People tend to make time for something they want to do or something that they love. I love writing, but when I got to college approximately 3 and a half years ago, I stopped writing. Of course, I tried to sprinkle in writing here and there, but for the most part, my college life conflicted with it. College is a learning experience though and I just discovered a few months ago what time management was (my junior year, crazy enough lol). I'm saying all of that to say this, if you really like writing, you'll make time for it! Even if it's just an hour or two a day or one or two days a week. If you really enjoy it, you'll find time for it.

Maybe turn off the TV and all browser windows on your computer, put on some nice inspiring music and just write for the minutes you've got when you've got them? No need to write everything all at once. Even though I admit it's easier to keep things fluent and consistent when you do. But if you only write bits at a time, of a chapter for instance, you reread it often and can fix things up that you might not have thought about if you typed it all up at once.

What I tend to do when I'm in a "writing mood" is schedule a time in the future where I go to the library, grab a study room, and sit there with my computer and my thoughts. From that point, I just continuously write (or type in this case). I try to play out what I want to happen in my head and then bring it my story; kind of like a movie in a sense. As far as the meat and potatoes (character plot and development), that's something that happens personally. Once I'm done with a chapter, I read the whole thing to myself again to see if it makes sense, if things moved too fast, if I feel like a character should have said more, etc. Sounds a bit tedious, but it works.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I usually don't have time to write, but I always have plenty of time to think. I find it easier for myself to keep a story in my head so I can just work on it whenever I want to. I don't really write anything down unless I think it's going to be really good.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I usually don't have time to write, but I always have plenty of time to think. I find it easier for myself to keep a story in my head so I can just work on it whenever I want to. I don't really write anything down unless I think it's going to be really good.
Same here, I have a section on my I-pod where I write (or type if you want to get technical) all my story ideas. Unfortunately, I only think a couple ideas out of the ten or so I have down will ever be expanded on. Either the ideas have been done way too many times before, or I just don't know how to make a story out of it.

Crystalanachrony

ℱ a e r i e . ℚ u e e n
Years
I find that if I don't document my ideas somewhere, I'll forget them, and they'll be lost to the aether. For that reason, I have a variety of documents sitting around on my laptop, in different folders, all labelled 'Story Ideas' and such.

Effective solution? Hell no. But it's what I do.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Time is definitely a difficult thing to come by. I've only just started writing again after a dry spell of a year and a half - namely, the last six months of high school and the first year of university. I've had a fair amount of time this year, to be fair, but I've just been so drained with the amount of work I've had that it's tricky to get anything on paper.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Yeah, even when I find that I have the time, I just do so much writing during the week that I don't really want to do some more in my free time. I'll force myself to sit down and hammer out an idea until I run dry, which unfortunately doesn't take too long now. It's also the same reason I don't really read fics during the weekend anymore. When you're reading 100+ pages a night, reading during your free time isn't a priority.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Time is definitely a difficult thing to come by. I've only just started writing again after a dry spell of a year and a half - namely, the last six months of high school and the first year of university. I've had a fair amount of time this year, to be fair, but I've just been so drained with the amount of work I've had that it's tricky to get anything on paper.
I was wondering where you disappeared off to. It's great to see you back!

Time is a very difficult thing to come by, especially around this time of the year. I'm finding it difficult to get any time to sit down and write any stories, especially with balancing other writing and activities. Sure, I could spend an hour writing a story, but after doing an hour of research for a blog post that took me an hour to write, doing anything more is a little too much. I'd much rather stop thinking for some time with a silly video on Youtube.

Crux

Evermore
Years
I'm generally sporadic in terms of when I'm writing.
I mean, I really, really love to write, but don't often find myself doing it. Until randomly I'll get the urge to, and when I look back up from my notebook or laptop, I realise that six hours have gone by.
I'm not even dramatizing. If I had a nickel for every time I pulled an all-nighter because of that I could probably buy, well. . . I guess maybe a pack of trading cards. Or a couple candie bars, or something.

Crys, I am definitely guilty of doing that too.
The number of story ideas I've lost, or been put off by, because of that is probably really impressive.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I swear I had posted here....

Anyways, nice to see you around again, MW! =D

I too am in the wish-I-had-more-time club. Trying to revoke my membership but it's no easy matter. :< Being doing a lot of writing and editing of late for uni, and now mostly reading/reviewing notes.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I have exams on Thursday and Saturday, and here's me trying to do NaNoWriMo . . . this is going to be an interesting week. OTL

bobandbill

one more time
Years
You crazy. =p I'm as usual not trying Nano, even though I'm done with exams before the middle of November... but then, I have a couple trips in the 2nd half so there goes computer access then anyway. :V What is your story going to be about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back