• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Because it assumes that a literary device must be present?

Would there be a case when something couldn't be classified? XD I suppose scholars and such, have exhausted that sort of thing, long ago. However, like philosophy, new terms keep popping up.

Well, new things are typically immediately classified. 9, a new movie coming out soon about living sackcloth dolls, has been classified as "stitchpunk," a term coined for it and the short it's based on.

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?

Ugh, I don't know, I just write what comes to mind and keep rewriting it till it sounds exactly perfect.

Also I suck at Literacy Devices because I din't listen in English last year when we learnt about them :P

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I just really get annoyed at the words "literary device" brought up in conversations.

Like really annoyed.

I just want this week over.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016

Would there be a case when something couldn't be classified? XD I suppose scholars and such, have exhausted that sort of thing, long ago. However, like philosophy, new terms keep popping up.
Yeah, literary devices must be present because they're simply the application of archetypes to an art-form... Since archetypes are inherent to being human, and literary devices are archetypes applied, then the only way to avoid them is to not be human.

Manage that, and you got yourself a story lacking (human) literary devices... But then you'd have the literary devices developed from alien archetypes.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I just really get annoyed at the words "literary device" brought up in conversations.

Like really annoyed.

I just want this week over.

Our contest entries can't be that bad, can they? I don't really think about the building blocks of my writing, I just kind of type wherever my mind leads me. Upon review I can point out devices that I used, but I'm not like "oh, I'm going to use this device here!" I don't structure myself a lot, is what I guess I'm trying to say.

Yeah, literary devices must be present because they're simply the application of archetypes to an art-form...

I have to say I disagree. Do something new that hasn't been classified, and there will be no existing device to compare it to. Unless you're saying that all possible literary devices have already been discovered, to which I must also say that I disagree.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
txteclipse said:
Redstar said:
Yeah, literary devices must be present because they're simply the application of archetypes to an art-form...
I have to say I disagree. Do something new that hasn't been classified, and there will be no existing device to compare it to. Unless you're saying that all possible literary devices have already been discovered, to which I must also say that I disagree.
I think this is where Astinus and others are bothered by the use of "Literary Device" in the prompt, which I wholly agree with and feel I can explain.

A more proper term for what I was explaining would probably be "Literary Elements". No matter what you do, there's always going to be a plot and a character. Those are simply inherent to writing.

Now, the difference between literary elements and literary devices are how those elements are used. A plot is always present, but story isn't (Plot = frame, Story = form). A character is always present, but characterization isn't.

Literary Devices are like a vehicle which carries the basic plot and expresses it as something more than simply beginning, middle, end. They're something a bad writer leaves out, a good writer simply includes, and an exceptional writer weaves into the very fabric of the piece.

Literary elements, which are few, will always be there and most likely have been entirely described. But the devices, the vehicle the writer uses in expressing those elements, are still something a writer can spend a lifetime crafting and developing and never find them all.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Hey, did anyone else happen to notice that (according to this webpage, but yes, in general as well) the term "literary device" is just an umbrella term for things that also include devices and techniques, meaning elements and techniques are devices but just subsets in the same way a falcon is a hawk but not necessarily vice versa?

I'd continue this snarky response except my sugarmama over there kinda stole the rest of this train of thought before it even happened.

With that said, I'm back from a two-week vacation, I'm jet-lagged, and I was reminded yet again why airports make me want to set kittens on fire. I'm also tl;dr'ing the majority of what you all posted during my absence for hopefully understandable reasons, so I'm just going to assume you all went wild with the metaphoric fire extinguisher and go catch up on the other threads I need to read. *salutes*

Bay

Years
Hey there, Valentine! Hoped you enjoyed your vacation. :3

Yeah, I did notice, but not exactly sure why literary elements and literary devices have to be distinguish and they sound similar, but at the same time, not. O.o

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
;; I squeaked in happiness.

And I noticed. But didn't say anything for some reason or another.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I hadn't noticed, which is funny because my spiel on the subject seem to be exactly right. =D

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Well you know what they say:

You learn something new everyday.

And welcome back Val, hope you had a nice trip. :)

I like flying myself, means something new for me (traveling away), and yearning to come home (on the way back). But it is nice to not have to live out of a luggage bag... (did that for 9 months).

You know, I really gotta start saving up for it, but I want to go to New Zealand. And not just travel there, but live there...

By the by, playing Arkham Asylum on X-box 360 is fun.

Okay new bold topic that doesn't involve ambiguous words (or at least I hope not, haha):

When/if you do travel, do you try or purposely (even accidently), include settings akin to where you have traveled?

I haven't really given myself the opportunity to do so (aside from some attempted RP setting which didn't work to well). Anyway, for the future, however, I'd probably try to include places similar to that of Indonesia, and the Outback and Tasmania in Australia, even a bit of urban-ness if need be, for Perth.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
When/if you do travel, do you try or purposely (even accidently), include settings akin to where you have traveled?
Well no not really since I don't do that much traveling. The only country I've ever travelled to aside from my home country would have to be England. I do however, include settings from places I've seen on the Internet.XD

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Thanks for the welcomes, folks.

I hadn't noticed, which is funny because my spiel on the subject seem to be exactly right. =D

From what I understood of your other post, you seemed to be confusing literary devices with literary techniques. Some people consider techniques and devices to be synonyms of one another, but if we're going off this website (and a few other sources), then device is the overall term for elements and techniques. Meaning, as I've said before, an element is a device, but a device can be either an element or a technique.

That said...

Occasionally, but I always feel weird when I consciously base something off my own experiences. (No particular reason why. I just do.) Instead, I usually try to go for pictures of places I haven't gone or just make things up out of pure thin air.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
From what I understood of your other post, you seemed to be confusing literary devices with literary techniques. Some people consider techniques and devices to be synonyms of one another, but if we're going off this website (and a few other sources), then device is the overall term for elements and techniques. Meaning, as I've said before, an element is a device, but a device can be either an element or a technique.
I'm not confusing anything. We don't need to make two simple terms more confusing then they need to be, when when we get down to the basics of it all what really matters are the messages they express, not the semantics.

Literary elements, as stated by that site and me, are the common aspects of stories that are always present whether you try or not. Literary devices are how you use said elements... A device is an object used to complete a task, so if we think of literary devices as a vehicle for expressing literary elements, then how you drive said vehicle/device would be technique. The terms are one and the same.

Last edited:

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
When/if you do travel, do you try or purposely (even accidentally), include settings akin to where you have traveled?
No. I like settings to be unfamiliar and new. Characters I'll tend to base off familiar characteristics, but not setting. :P

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I'm not confusing anything. I think of literary devices and techniques as the same thing.

The point is that the spiel isn't necessarily exactly right because not everyone considers them to be the same thing, as evidenced by the offered website.

To be very specific, a device is defined as "a rule of thumb, convention, or structure that is employed in literature and storytelling," which implies that it covers both the concept of an element as you defined it as well as the concept of a technique.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
The point is that the spiel isn't necessarily exactly right because not everyone considers them to be the same thing, as evidenced by the offered website.

To be very specific, a device is defined as "a rule of thumb, convention, or structure that is employed in literature and storytelling," which implies that it covers both the concept of an element as you defined it as well as the concept of a technique.
Look above. I expanded my post and clarified what I meant.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Literary devices are how you use said elements...

To quote the site:

Literary devices refers to specific aspects of literature, in the sense of its universal function as an art form which expresses ideas through language, which we can recognize, identify, interpret and/or analyze. ... Both literary elements and literary techniques can rightly be called literary devices.

It is not necessarily how you use a literary element but rather also the element itself. As in, a literary technique is a part of a story that can be analyzed, period. This could refer to the elements such as plot, character, et cetera (the definition of element), or it can refer to the style that the author is using (the definition of technique). Or, in clearer terms, the term "device" covers everything, not just one or the other or how one is used, which goes back to the argument I was making against your statement that techniques and devices are considered to be the same thing by everyone. (In fact, we could be saying that if we use the site as evidence for anything, devices are certainly not the same thing as techniques because techniques are implied to be the literary equivalent of TV Tropes.)

Additionally, note that out of the list on that site (which we're referring to now, I assume), no definition is in black but rather green (elements) or blue (techniques). Furthermore, a separate definition for a literary technique is given, and the definition of literary device is offered as the header. In other words, you're looking at the definition of device here and assuming it's not actually referring to the definition for elements when it actually is.

That and, again, the whole point of this conversation was the fact that you implied (and then stated) that your argument is exactly right by saying techniques = devices when your source isn't actually saying that.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
When/if you do travel, do you try or purposely (even accidentally), include settings akin to where you have traveled?
I already mention how in the original NE I based one of the cities off of Big Bear, California. I traveled there and the city looks very nice and the forest around it is just magnificent. It rained during the time my family and I had gone there, but the city still looks nice. XD The new version of NE I didn't though because the story takes place in Sinnoh. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back