• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Elemental monkeys

Years
In Black and White you were able to get an elemental monkey weak to your starter's type early on by going to the Dreamyard east of Striaton City. Selecting Snivy gave you Panpour, choosing Tepig earned you Pansage, and if you chose Oshawott you obtained Pansear.

Did you use these monkeys, even if it was just to help against your battle with the Striaton gym leader? Did you like them overall?

Years
I'm actually one of the few people who liked the monkeys, in fact seeing those things get hated so much really made me sad because with the right training they can actually be fairly useful team members. If you've watched Marriland's Black Wedlocke videos, you'll be surprised to learn that the Simisear (nicknamed "Cardinal") he used in that series managed to live all the way to the end.

I didn't really use my Pansear in my Black playthrough except for the Gym battle against Cilan. I did however, manage to evolve him into a Simisear come the postgame. As for which one's my general fave, I love all three but Pansage is the cutest-looking one, and for the evolved forms I really love both the hippie-like hair of Simipour and the funky pompadour that Simisage sports.

I also love how the trio are based on the three monkeys motif of "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil". It really shows the design inspirations got much more interesting this generation.

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't really like the monkeys that much. The only design I like is Panpour and I'm not even sure why, honestly. Pansear and Pansage have alright designs, however, but what stops me from using them were the designs of the evolutions. I really disliked them. That doesn't mean I disliked the idea of them - I liked how the game presented them and offered us a way to beat the first Gym Leaders without it being too easy (or at least in my experience).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
I never used the monkeys. I'm not entirely sure why tbh, but I just never did haha. I never really liked their designs and evolutions either. I just didn't find them necessary to be on my team I guess!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I did not and still don't care for these guys. However, when I did my Hall of Fame challenge in White (abridged version: taking every Unova Pokemon to the Hall of Fame), I raised an awesome Simipour who is around level 80 something now and I still enjoy using. He came out the strongest of the three, so if I were to choose a favorite, it would be Simipour. Makes sense too since I think Panpour is the cutest of the bunch.

I also have a Pansage plushie...it's kinda cute...okay these guys are adorable sometimes. :(

Nakala Pri

I totally used my Pansear! :D At the end of the game I had a level 85 Simisear who kicked butt and totally Flame Bursted everything he came across. (including my new bag but who's counting)

I love these guys! They're so cute and useful, they definitely make it to my favourite Pokemon list!

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2018
I really don't like them at all, and the evolutions even less. If I had to pick a favourite I'd probably go with the *sage line, at least it's design is bearable.
I always though they just looked silly, really. Especially Simipour.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I raised Pansage quite a bit, but then I didn't have much use for it afterwards. I can't remember what I replaced it with, either.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I like the monkeys but they aren't very good for combat. The fire one is the worst of the bunch, too.

Simipour has the merit of being one of the rare Unovian Water Pokémon.

I used Pansage to beat Cress and boxed him forever afterwards.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
God I really hate the monkeys. I think their base evolutions were alright, but then they evolve and get so goofy looking. I would just use the monkey given to me to help defeat the first gym leader and then box it for eternity. One time I replayed and realized I had used all the water types in that gen that I found appealing and I didn't want to use a repeat so I went with Panpour. It worked out alright, but I find nothing that enjoyable about it.

blue

gucci
Years
I don't know why exactly but the elemental monkeys never appealed to me. I think I ended up boxing all three of them on separate playthroughs.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I used mine for the first gym. It was useful for it. Then after I beat the gym leader, I boxed it forever. It just didn't seem worth using. xD It was just to weak and the look of the evolution was just not the best. Plus I had far better pokemon to use than that one.

Years
While I used Simisage the very first time I played White, a lot of my later playthroughs had me subsiding them in favor of better Pokémon of their types, like Darmanitan or Jellicent. But I did use Simisear for the first six badges in my time of one of my newer plays of White before it succumbed to Cheren at Twist Mountain. That one did me quite well up to then.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I love the design of their basic forms, particularly Pansage's. I'm not a fan of their final evolution form though, as it feels like they are characters rip off from Donkey Kong. :(

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
I didn't play Gen V, but I used all three in Gen VI for a little bit. I think the motif was creative and great and hope they do the elemental trio thing again. The designs for the Pans were okay, but the Simis really disappointed me. That was my main turnoff for them.

GengyGengar

Sp00py
Years
I only ever used Simisage fully, because I loved it's quirky and adorable design, and it was actually a lot more helpful than I was expecting. I haven't used the other two as much though~ xD

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
I really liked those monkeys. They were simple but very efficient and good to use. I did use them back in the days.

Back