• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A question on POV narrative: Can I switch between two?

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
This is probably going to sound kind of wierd, but I just got an idea for my fanfic Biohazard that's kind of got me a little bit stumped. The fic involves this guy who was turned into a Buizel (basically, like the PMD style requires), but, as a twist, I have him with absolutely no recollection of anything in the beginning (basically, total amnesia) and then slowly recovering his memories in weird dreams that he has. Here's my problem though... The main parts of the fic are supposed to be done in third person limited (limited between the perspectives of the three main characters Buizel, Skunanne, and Oposease), but I was thinking that in Buizel's dreamstate I could switch the narrative to first person since it is just him its supposed to follow. These scenes are also supposed to be somewhat detached from the main portion so it's not like I just have the dream narrative going straight into the PMD world's narrative. I already have part of this peice reposted, but before I really get into the parts where I'm thinking about having this stuff happen, I'd like to know if this is something I could do or if this would just be too confusing?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
In his fic, Griff pulls it off well, so I suggest reading his to see how it's done. Of course, you'll need to use separators where you change POV and make sure the shift is justified. If you decide to expand on it and try to use first person POV with more than one character, it gets trickier, as you'll need to make sure it's clear whose mind we're entering without explicit (and cheap) *Character X's POV* headings.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Griff did it already... I'll take a look at his work, but yeah, I was going to have seperators and it was just going to be for that one character since it is his dream. Thanks, DarkPersian!

Back