• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Hmmm, just a little bit of something I saw:

Nintendo opened its website for the E3 convention on Tuesday. The website's HTML source briefly had the keywords "new Nintendo system" listed on the website, but they were removed.
[info here]

Thoughts? o:

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I think some people have been speculating that Nintendo's gonna drop the WiiU and make new system. Maybe they're actually gonna do that? Who knows.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I think some people have been speculating that Nintendo's gonna drop the WiiU and make new system. Maybe they're actually gonna do that? Who knows.

If there was anything, it would be a sequel to the 3DS I think. The DS had a very, very long cycle for handhelds, as the GBA came out in mid-2001 and was replaced with the DS in late 2004, and then the DS was the only system line until 2011. The Game Boy Color to the Game Boy Advance was also a 3 year cycle. It's much more reasonable to have those lengths than what the DS had, so I wouldn't be surprised if now, 3 years after the 3DS was released, they announced a new handheld. Plus it would put them in front of the race for the next generation again.

Yukari

Considering that the DS was out for 6 years, I doubt that the 3Ds is getting a "Sequel."

But if they're coming out with a console after the WiiU, I'd just feel like they were milking it. The WiiU came out in 2012, and here we are less then 2 years later. But who knows? Maybe it was nothing.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
If there was anything, it would be a sequel to the 3DS I think. The DS had a very, very long cycle for handhelds, as the GBA came out in mid-2001 and was replaced with the DS in late 2004, and then the DS was the only system line until 2011. The Game Boy Color to the Game Boy Advance was also a 3 year cycle. It's much more reasonable to have those lengths than what the DS had, so I wouldn't be surprised if now, 3 years after the 3DS was released, they announced a new handheld. Plus it would put them in front of the race for the next generation again.
Nah, they wouldn't do that. The 3DS is doing too well for them to make a new console to replace it, and it would be bad for the consumer as well, too costly. It's not so much that the DS had a long lifespan as it is that the GBA had an incredibly short one, since the Game Boy -> GBC wasn't really a new generation (especially since GBC games were compatible with the Gameboy). A new version of the 3DS, similar to what the DS lite was to the DS, is more likely than a new system altogether.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Nah, they wouldn't do that. The 3DS is doing too well for them to make a new console to replace it, and it would be bad for the consumer as well, too costly. It's not so much that the DS had a long lifespan as it is that the GBA had an incredibly short one, since the Game Boy -> GBC wasn't really a new generation (especially since GBC games were compatible with the Gameboy). A new version of the 3DS, similar to what the DS lite was to the DS, is more likely than a new system altogether.

I feel like only Nintendo can cause this much confusion about their handhelds and which goes in which generation. I can see how you would include the original Game Boy in that generation; I guess I just saw it as different because I start playing video games in the middle of that generation so for me, the GBC was the start, you know?

The XL is what the Lite was to the DS though, right? Everyone I know says it's way better to the point that they can't play games on the regular 3DS anymore.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I feel like only Nintendo can cause this much confusion about their handhelds and which goes in which generation. I can see how you would include the original Game Boy in that generation; I guess I just saw it as different because I start playing video games in the middle of that generation so for me, the GBC was the start, you know?

The XL is what the Lite was to the DS though, right? Everyone I know says it's way better to the point that they can't play games on the regular 3DS anymore.
That's the case with me. I was really nervous when the 3DS came out because I'd had a DSi XL for...what, two years? So I didn't know how I would handle the transition. After all, any smaller DS looks puny by comparison once you've used an XL for a little while. It was a godsend when they announced the 3DS XL, got it on the launch day.

...But that's a little different. See, while the XL is a larger 3DS...it's just that: a larger 3DS. XL is just a title, but it's really only a 3DS that's larger, not a new version entirely, only boasting larger screens and a better battery life. The lite, and more, the DSi, are new versions because they have new features (the lite having backlight settings and the DSi having a store, menu, and a bunch of other features). The 2DS is another version as well, but it's more of a budget version than an upgrade. But, because the 3DS has potential for more upgrades (a second circle pad, better battery life, etc.), people assume that there will be an upgraded version.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years

Game Boy Color was something onto itself. It is not part of the original product line of Game Boy, Pocket, and Light (maybe even Super Game Boy). It featured a different processor and more memory. Not to mention GBC-exclusive games

Last edited:

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I would doubt a new console would come so soon after the Wii U. The lackluster sales, though, might push Nintendo to conjure up something quick to cover their losses.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Maybe some kind of fancy Wii U model? Something more HD or smaller or prettier or something? When it's Nintendo, a new version of the same system is always a possibility.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I can see a smaller, more compact and easier to hold, perhaps more versatile version of the Wii U being released, yeah. The Wii Mini was a flop when it was released, wasn't it? But the Wii didn't have major complaints about its size like the Wii U has.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I wouldn't say a flop. It was released at the end of the Wii's lifetime for much the same reason that the 2DS exists: to create a cost-efficient and cheap Wii system. It sells, but it's more casually sold because it's so cheap (since the Wii was already pretty cheap in the first place).

Though honestly, at this point, I'm more interested in a 3DS revision or a new system than anything else. I like the Wii U, but it'd be interesting to see how a new system would shake up the generation formula if they did announce a new one.

Years
The Wii Mini was a flop when it was released, wasn't it?

Wait, that existed? I didn't even know about that until you mentioned it, which is alarming because normally I follow along with a generous number of video game news websites, but then again, this was a while ago. Still though, I don't recall ever hearing about the Wii Mini \:

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Wait, that existed? I didn't even know about that until you mentioned it, which is alarming because normally I follow along with a generous number of video game news websites, but then again, this was a while ago. Still though, I don't recall ever hearing about the Wii Mini \:
promo.png

Indeed it is!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
The Wii mini wasn't intended to be a success. Serves same function as Game Boy micro and the NES and SNES redesigns. Meant for stragglers.

And with something as popular as the Wii, not many stragglers

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Wish Wii Mini were available from get-go, and not around the time when Wii U was released. 8( It would have have been a lot more successful that way, I'm sure. Some people buy Wii to play games only and nothing else, and would've saved a lot of money of they were able to go with Mini version. Same goes for me, haha.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Wish Wii Mini were available from get-go, and not around the time when Wii U was released. 8( It would have have been a lot more successful that way, I'm sure. Some people buy Wii to play games only and nothing else, and would've saved a lot of money of they were able to go with Mini version. Same goes for me, haha.
There was really no need for it, though. The Wii was pretty much always a cheap option and a great gift choice, and it was an incredibly popular system to boot. However, as time went on, Wii's sales slowed, mainly because...well, everyone had one. The Wii Mini was a sort of push to get those who didn't already have a Wii to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back