• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Land of the Maple Leaf ~ Canadian Club

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
My Aunt and Uncle in... I think they live in Kelowna right now? They didn't feel the earthquake while they were out to dinner but the light fixtures were shaking noticeably and they thought that was really weird. They assumed there was a dance party or something on the floor above them before they even thought of earthquakes. :P

I think the cheapest Leafs tickets are in the $70 range, but I could be wrong. If you want good seats I think you're looking at maybe $300. It's been a looong time since I last checked, though. This article says the average is about $120 but lol Toronto Sun... they didn't even spell "ticket" right in the URL. Not exactly 5-start journalism. Regardless, it's just way too expensive to see a Leafs game without making a really big occasion out of it. :/

(Also I tried that pulled pork poutine from NYF finally... it was surprisingly good!)

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Busy for a few days and the club drops to almost the bottom of the page D:

So we're no American east coast and fortunately we aren't battered as badly... hopes and prayers to our American neighbors D: But how are things in the east coast anyway? Supposedly there's still some crazy strong winds and traffic lights are destroyed even though we're only on the edge of it all.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
If you want to eat the best poutine ever, go to Montreal and head over to La Banquise. It's rated the best poutine in Montreal :D

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I stopped by Montreal but never ate poutine there x_x; well I was only there for a day with a tourist group but still D: never got a chance to run into any place with poutine.

Cherrim

Years
My parents brought me to Montreal when I was a baby and I haven't been back since. :( Been to a few other places in Quebec but never there.

Hurricane was just fine where I am. We weren't really near its path, though, which I think headed up between Toronto and Ottawa? Power on campus went out on the Tuesday for a few hours but Hydro was saying it was unrelated to the storm haha. Wasn't even much of a storm, either, just really windy, rained a bit overnight, and was kinda windy and cold again the next day. Pretty much the same as the last two weeks anyway.

Scarf and winter jacket weather has finally started here in Southwestern Ontario though. :( Was below zero while I was out today.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2012
Username: Destructor
Relation to Canada: I've lived here my whole life in the same silly city.
Favorite Province: Nova Scotia
Reason for Joining: I love Canada <3. I love it far more than the US. I've spent my entire life in Nova Scotia, and as much as I'd kill to move to another province, I do love it here so much. I'd love to be the first person who currently lives in Nova Scotia to be a member here.​

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Nova Scotia, I never been there. I would like to see how it is over there.
Is it mostly nature everywhere?
Because here in Montreal is all buildings, buildings and more buildings. You gotta get out of the city to see some nature! @_@

Cherrim

Years
Username: Destructor
Relation to Canada: I've lived here my whole life in the same silly city.
Reason for Joining: I love Canada <3. I love it far more than the US. I've spent my entire life in Nova Scotia, and as much as I'd kill to move to another province, I do love it here so much. I'd love to be the first person who currently lives in Nova Scotia to be a member here.​
Nova Scotia! <3

I love the conveniences of Southern Ontario but I think if I had to pick another province to live in, it would be Nova Scotia. It's just so beautiful. I still really miss it and I moved away over a decade ago.
Nova Scotia, I never been there. I would like to see how it is over there.
Is it mostly nature everywhere?
Because here in Montreal is all buildings, buildings and more buildings. You gotta get out of the city to see some nature! @_@
Well, any city will have lots of buildings but I imagine you don't have to go nearly as far to hit "nature" in NS. Even as the biggest city, Halifax isn't very big. I have fonder memories of Nova Scotia under all weather conditions than any other province so if nature's what you want, you'd probably love it.

Cape Breton is so pretty in autumn when the leaves are changing. *u*

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
The atlantic provinces are probably all good places to stay in if you can handle the "small city boredom." If that's not an issue for you though, then certainly I imagine that the place being so close to nature and the ocean will make it pretty neat.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2012
I actually live in Cape Breton, Lightning. It is indeed lovely here, but I'd love to move to Ontario.

Years
We recently had some -20 weather. It's back to the freezing point now, though.

I think I'd rather have that sort of weather than what we get here on the west coast (2 degrees and rain basically all winter). I was actually in Calgary last year for the Heritage Classic outdoor game between the Calgary Flames and Montreal Canadiens, and with windchill it dropped to around -30 degrees in the stadium and I had no problem with it. I just can't stand all the rain and it getting dark at 4:00, it's almost depressing.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I don't think that the getting to dark at 4:00 (it's dark by 5 for us atm) is affected by weather... XD;

It's not an appropriate Canadian club without one of these as pictures: Hello Edmontonian Snowstorm!

D2d4t

The road to university campus got so wrecked (cars/buses collision or getting stuck everywhere) that the road was closed and people had to get out of their vehicles and pull off a mass exodus to walk up the hill in the snow.

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Username: ShinySearcher01 (Call me Eric)
Relation to Canada: Born and lived in Ottawa all my life

I've been to Ontario, Alberta, BC, Quebec, PEI, and Nova Scotia, and I have to say my favorite is NS. Ocean yeahhh

I'm a huge sports fan, and the NHL lockout (Senators fan woot) is giving me absolutely nothing to do every 2 nights. :( Other than that I watch the CFL. Montreal Allouettes YAY

Prices for hockey tickets here go down to $30 at the absolute cheapest, and the most expensive ones are around $300.
I... actually don't like either of those! I'm not a fan of cheese which is why poutine is almost always a miss for me (although occasionally I'm good with it). Also don't like ham or smoked foods so... ;_;
OMG WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU ASDFGHJKL j/k

Welcome all new members! :3

I love Canadian candy sooo much. xD Especially all the stuff that you can't get here in the states, like Aero and Caramilk. They're my two favorite candies, and you can't even get them here, which is why I get like a Jumbo Sized pack every time I go up to see family in Ontario.

You can't get Aero in the USA? Why do I not know this ;;

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Aero bars are from Europe, and since we are linked to the queen of England, we get some of Europe's goodies also :)

Clacla

karp karp karp
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
Username: Clacla
Relation to Canada: I've lived here my whole life xD (I've lived in Brampton, Hamilton, Brantford, etc)
Favorite Province: Ontario
Reason for Joining (optional): So that I can spend extra time with my penguin

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
It's the same thing how US borders make a HUGE deal about Kinder Surprise. Really it's one thing that if an American is visiting Canada, make a visit to the nearby convenience store for a kindersurprise a "must do" =P It's such an important part of my childhood lol. I was so happy every time I get a kinder surprise, not necessarily for the toy but it's genuinely a great taste!

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
It's the same thing how US borders make a HUGE deal about Kinder Surprise. Really it's one thing that if an American is visiting Canada, make a visit to the nearby convenience store for a kindersurprise a "must do" =P It's such an important part of my childhood lol. I was so happy every time I get a kinder surprise, not necessarily for the toy but it's genuinely a great taste!
You know kinder surprise is actually illegal in the states? Something about a choking hazard. And our smarties are so much better than the American ones. :P

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Was that the reason? I thought that it's because it has "milk" in it (oh gee, what type of non-dark chocolate doesn't?) I only know that story and brought it up here because there's the story about the lady going to America with kindersurprise, and the border guardds held her up for hours and charged her 700 dollars for violation bringing "illegal and dangerous goods across the borders" or something.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I know right? ;_; a childhood without kindersurprise...

More "canadian" issue now that it's Rememberance day for us: there's some discussions lately that students can opt out of Rememberance day because it is "offensive." Parents can sign opt-out forms from Rememberance day related events in school. In this article, supposedly there's very little students who do this. One opted out of any/all patriotic events, while another cited religious reasons.

What do you think about this, fellow Canadians/Canada-lovers?

Cherrim

Years
You know kinder surprise is actually illegal in the states? Something about a choking hazard. And our smarties are so much better than the American ones. :P
Was that the reason? I thought that it's because it has "milk" in it (oh gee, what type of non-dark chocolate doesn't?) I only know that story and brought it up here because there's the story about the lady going to America with kindersurprise, and the border guardds held her up for hours and charged her 700 dollars for violation bringing "illegal and dangerous goods across the borders" or something.
I believe Kinder Surprises are illegal in the US because it's illegal to include toys as an incentive to buy candy. This seems weird to me because (I think?) they're still allowed to include toys in cereal boxes but I guess it would make some sense if the law was specific to sweets and candies. Still a bit weird though.
I know right? ;_; a childhood without kindersurprise...

More "canadian" issue now that it's Rememberance day for us: there's some discussions lately that students can opt out of Rememberance day because it is "offensive." Parents can sign opt-out forms from Rememberance day related events in school. In this article, supposedly there's very little students who do this. One opted out of any/all patriotic events, while another cited religious reasons.

What do you think about this, fellow Canadians/Canada-lovers?
That... seems really weird to me. :( How is it offensive at all? Even for people who aren't Canadian, it's a good reminder to stop and think about war and what it means. And hell, if you aren't Canadian you're still living here, making use of our schooling system, and being supported by the country those people fought hard to protect. I just can't think of a single reason it's offensive or why anyone would feel the need to opt out. I always really appreciated the ceremonies growing up.

I don't really understand the religious reason either. I can't think of a religion that would be against something like this. If anything, wouldn't most be okay with the idea of remembering and honouring those who fought and died to protect the greater good and peoples' rights? If the argument is that the Remembrance Day service is tied into a religious service... wtf are you doing at a religious school? @_@;

Back