• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3ds emulater?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
I have a 3ds, but I'm neither willing to crack it open or try to start hacking it. I wouldn't even know where to start.
Plus, those things cost lots of money, so when they get cheaper maybe more people will start to hack it, but of course when a newer system comes out. Like a 5ds or something, lol
^^

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
Hiyaaa! About 3DS Emulator... Yeah there's no working verison on yet... But there's some devloppers teams around the world working on some Betas... but still not published.
However you still need to wait until summer 2014 maybe there gonna be some good news about it!

bitelaserkhalif

Falcon Punch!!
Years
Hey, the 3ds emulator for now is a HOAX.

You must wait for some years like Dolphin Emulator.And If there is a new generation system game emulator now (3ds), Nintendo could suffer a financial loss/bankruptcy.

Erladino

Dancing with the winds!~
Years
Guys, the 3DS Emulator is always a great possibility. The fact that many of you said it's going to be here in a couple of years is wrong? The 3DS emulator will be here sooner than you think. GameFreak systems have always been difficult to hack into, but nonetheless it's not impossible. The 3DS Emulator will only be compatible with Windows 8, XP and above. It will work with both 32- bit and 64- bit systems. However, performance will be slower in the latter.

The 3DS emulator involves a lot oof graphics and so you can expect it to be a little over 250 MB... Apart from that, if you dont have an updated graphic card, it may be a bit trouble for you. But it's not downloadable at the moment. Do /NOT/ spend a single penny on emulators. They're always free. Anything otherwise is ********.

Chao`
Erlade

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Guys, the 3DS Emulator is always a great possibility. The fact that many of you said it's going to be here in a couple of years is wrong? The 3DS emulator will be here sooner than you think. GameFreak systems have always been difficult to hack into, but nonetheless it's not impossible.
Um...the 3DS is made by Nintendo. GameFreak doesn't make systems. And I'm not sure it's always been difficult to hack into them. In fact, looking at the speed at which the DS and Wii were hacked and when emulator's were created of them, I'd say it wasn't that hard in the past. However, in recent years, Nintendo's gotten serious thanks to the rate of piracy with the Wii and DS (DS especially).

The 3DS Emulator will only be compatible with Windows 8, XP and above. It will work with both 32- bit and 64- bit systems. However, performance will be slower in the latter.
That...doesn't really make sense. XP came way before 8, and support for it in emulators has started to drop as of late, with 7 taking priority. More on that, x64 emulators are becoming more prevalent, and even those that prioritize x32 in some cases have stronger x64 versions (such as PPSSPP).

The 3DS emulator involves a lot oof graphics and so you can expect it to be a little over 250 MB... Apart from that, if you dont have an updated graphic card, it may be a bit trouble for you. But it's not downloadable at the moment. Do /NOT/ spend a single penny on emulators. They're always free. Anything otherwise is ********.

Chao`
Erlade
I dunno about all that, maybe if you're upscaling that will be the case, but I think that it probably wouldn't be too difficult to run even at 3x upscaling, depending on the emulator in question.

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Years
Ya all know that the 3DS itself officially released in 2011? People - now is 2013 end.

Cmon, I write programs, and they take almost 100+ hours to get even a small program, full of bugs.
These people are voluntarily taking apart their games and 3DS's just so we can have an emulator.
Have some respect.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
And I'm not sure it's always been difficult to hack into them.
If my history is correct, GBA ROMs appeared on the Internet at times even before the games were released with little interference. Mostly because there was little protection against such a thing. This and the Wii is one of the reasons that made Nintendo systems somewhat harder to emulate and ROMs harder to de-encode with Anti-Piracy measures among others.

Ya all know that the 3DS itself officially released in 2011? People - now is 2013 end.
Two years is nothing. Keep in mind that many older systems aren't even perfected yet: we just at the later part of last year got an Accuracy-focused Genesis emulator, even Atari 2600 is still being worked on every now and then, and the N64's state is still extremely awful when it concerns something not popular. Something as complicated as the 3DS will take years and years to get going at a completely useable state without workarounds or huge bugs.

Chao`
Erlade
...Wat. Are we predicting RAM or space here? Space would be silly for judging a thing like an emulator, and wouldn't mean a darn thing outside of possibly effecting speed minorly if the code was that jumbled. RAM would be way off base though if you ask me.

Also no, that isn't always true about payment. I'll agree with you on say... MagicEngine (yuck), but when talking mobile most of the best ones are payable. Take the .emu series for example: you can get Retroarch right now for free sure, but the man constantly updates his products and makes sure they're based on the best things you can get your hands on right now. GBA.Emu in particular is by far one of the best GBA emulators in the mobile market purely because it's core is the latest SVN for VBA-M and it's optimized correctly.

I dunno about all that, maybe if you're upscaling that will be the case, but I think that it probably wouldn't be too difficult to run even at 3x upscaling, depending on the emulator in question.
This... depends completely on the programming/programmer and your computer. I'll wager that it'll be slower than peanut butter at first either way though, not to mention filters.

Last edited:

ThorhianTheUltimate

No, im not Thorzain
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
Sorry to drop in my first post here, but I just wanted to clear some things up for you guys. CURRENTLY (as of the time writing this), there are no 3DS emulators that are usable and/or publically known (Nintendo may have one, who knows since they usually use hardware dev kits). The 3DS is hacked, and people are learning quite a bit about insides (Yellows8 and Neimod come to mind). Yes, there is a flashcart, the cart the starts with a "G" (and it's clones), but all it really does is load pirated games and use Emunand (I do admit Emunand is pretty cool). It's going to be a while to get a meaningful and somewhat playable 3DS Emulator (Especially sine the SoC hasn't been decamped yet... :( ).

I will say that the difficulty of emulation could be comparable to wii games, since it's Shading capabilities are better but it doesn't handle as much Geometry as the Wii. If can't emulate even the easier to run GC/Wii games, don't expect to run 3DS games too well (probably, I'm not a absolute expert on the architecture differences between x86 and ARM). To whoever said tawny thing about RAM requirements, you won't need too much in emulation. Space requirements, however, depeimg on the games, could be over 1 gigabyte per game, more so for games such as Metal Gear, Monster hunter, probably X/Y. The max cart size according to Ninty is 8GB, so you'll get those rare games that are pretty big (SSBB anyone?).

Any questions and/or corrections?

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
For one thing, I can say that if anyone wishes to develop a Nintendo 3DS Emulator, I would recommend building compatibility to emulate the NAND first. Because the NAND is more important than the games themselves. Why? Because all 3DS ROMs require synchronization with the 3DS Home Menu, so games can display stuff like Play Coins or even to open up the Home Menu itself. And what about the Friend List as well on the 3DS? It synchronizes with the games as well.

So think about it, I would recommend taking a look at the 3DS's SoC, ARM11 and everything else and post the common key as well as the NAND key online so that everyone can use it to put into their tools. I've compared the 3DS to the Wii, and their encryption style on the games is no different, it's AES-CTR and it has a different common key and different NAND key too.

If we're determined to get the 3DS hacked, then all we need to do is open up the 3DS hardware, research the chips, look at their code and find the common key and NAND key. Once we've found them, post them online somewhere so that everyone can see, so we can pave the way for the future, open up the world of Homebrew as well as hacking games.

No one really has bothered yet, except for two people named Neimod and Yellows8. And those two people don't even really share their info on exploits or even anything that they've hacked. So unfair, isn't it? Which leads me to believe that they just might be faking it or trying to make people mad.

But just remember this, if we share the info on the stuff that we've researched on the 3DS hardware, then it will create a future for ROM hackers as well as to creating a 3DS emulator. Just imagine that, it would be really exciting! ^^

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
If we're determined to get the 3DS hacked, then all we need to do is open up the 3DS hardware, research the chips, look at their code and find the common key and NAND key. Once we've found them, post them online somewhere so that everyone can see, so we can pave the way for the future, open up the world of Homebrew as well as hacking games.

No one really has bothered yet, except for two people named Neimod and Yellows8. And those two people don't even really share their info on exploits or even anything that they've hacked. So unfair, isn't it? Which leads me to believe that they just might be faking it or trying to make people mad.
I'm not so sure about that. The 3DS has been the hotspot of the hacking world for quite a while, and the fact that numerous flashcarts have suddenly hit the market (as well as a certain hacker who was able to hack the 3DS menu) proves this. There's a lot of interest in hacking the 3DS, both thanks to the popularity of the system and because of the Gateway 3DS, and some strides have been made. The Gateway has even managed to create a spoof menu, and hackers have conventions and share information because, this time around, hacking the Nintendo handheld is no easy feat.

Karjam

AKA KarjamP
Years
In case you're wondering, guys, there's indeed a flash card in developement for the 3DS that natively supports 3DS games.

It's called the "Gateway 3DS" flash card that claims to be the only flash card for the 3DS in existence (but it has its clones).

I can't give the link as I'm have less than 15 posts as of this post, but Googling "Gateway Flash Card" brings up its web site as the top result.

Anyway, if there is an 3DS emulator, how are we supposed to evolve Inkay into Malamar (since it's the only Pokémon whose evolutionary gimmick evolves the 3DS's gyroscope)?

In other words, one of the biggest hurdles against emulation of the 3DS is the fact that the 3DS has built in motion controls in it.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Yeah, Gateway and a bunch of other flashcarts exist. They've been commercially available for a while, but for the most part they're pretty expensive. There's at least five of them by now, all of which have spanned from the Gateway and, for the most part, have differentiated themselves to some degree (however small).

As for, say, Inkay, I don't see that being a problem. Gyroscopic emulation of that simplicity would likely be easily emulated. Games based around them would be more difficult, but I can see it being a reality without having to use controllers that support gyroscopic and motion controls.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 6, 2014
(Nintendo may have one, who knows since they usually use hardware dev kits).

I imagine that Nintendo would have an internal 3ds emulator for development. They usually do. I remember watching a behind the scenes development video of a gba game (think it was a dbz game) on youtube and I saw them playing it on a pc. so it looked like they used their own gba emulator for development. But that may have changed .perhaps your right they might now be using devkits for game development now if true that would suck for us which means we would have to develop our own from the ground up. No chance of any code leaking in the future nothing. But it would be strange if they would not have an emulator for software testing before hardware testing?

ThorhianTheUltimate

No, im not Thorzain
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
For one thing, I can say that if anyone wishes to develop a Nintendo 3DS Emulator, I would recommend building compatibility to emulate the NAND first. Because the NAND is more important than the games themselves. Why? Because all 3DS ROMs require synchronization with the 3DS Home Menu, so games can display stuff like Play Coins or even to open up the Home Menu itself. And what about the Friend List as well on the 3DS? It synchronizes with the games as well.

So think about it, I would recommend taking a look at the 3DS's SoC, ARM11 and everything else and post the common key as well as the NAND key online so that everyone can use it to put into their tools. I've compared the 3DS to the Wii, and their encryption style on the games is no different, it's AES-CTR and it has a different common key and different NAND key too.

But just remember this, if we share the info on the stuff that we've researched on the 3DS hardware, then it will create a future for ROM hackers as well as to creating a 3DS emulator. Just imagine that, it would be really exciting! ^^
People are already emulating the NAND. Go look at the Gateway 3DS cart. Also, Smealum, the awesome DS homebrew programmer, has his own hacks that are deployed with the same exploit (but you don't need a 3DS flashcart, just a DS one to launch the MSET smash stack). Also, someone just released a ROP chain program that can send copies of whatever was on RAM to the SD card. The only thing with this situation thats bad is that the Kernal exploit to do all that was fixed in FW 5.0+, and the MSET hack 7.0+ (Thats why im sticking to 6.3, the userland initial exploit is still there). So, we need a new exploit. Also, I agree with hardware RE on that SoC, the fundraiser on Temp didnt end to well....

However, there is one problem with sending out the common keys and NANDs to everyone. Firstly, all of the console's are unique and only work for that specific console. Secondly, uploading NANDs would be illegal, and I know some of the better guys working on the 3DS right now, such as Smealum, aren't supporting Piracy. Thirdly, Finding the keys for each 3DS isn't exactly useful in this situation, exploits need to be found, whether by examining hardware and/or software.

I imagine that Nintendo would have an internal 3ds emulator for development. They usually do. I remember watching a behind the scenes development video of a gba game (think it was a dbz game) on youtube and I saw them playing it on a pc. so it looked like they used their own gba emulator for development. But that may have changed .perhaps your right they might now be using devkits for game development now if true that would suck for us which means we would have to develop our own from the ground up. No chance of any code leaking in the future nothing. But it would be strange if they would not have an emulator for software testing before hardware testing?

Well, from what I have seen, most testing happens on hardware. There are plenty of Panda units, and Nintendo even has Flashcarts that work for them. Nintendo may have and emulator, but im not sure since I literally not sure, I dont know all the facts. The only thing making me doupt most developers have one is because parts of the dev kit have leaked already, Ill have to check back for sources though, I think 3DS Guy from 3dBrew may have parts of it.

Eminence

Pokemon Eminence
Years
The best thing we can all do for now is be patient. The amount of time, work and effort it takes to find information and create a working 3ds emulator would be very long.

Karjam

AKA KarjamP
Years
There's also the point of having to emulate the 3DS's operating system in order to emulate the system properly, and the fact that apparently, the latest firmware blocks Gateway and other flashcards.

The former is very difficult unless you have the actual ROM images of the firmware/OS.

The fact that it even has an OS is the reason why the latter's difficult to get around of (or even that it's nearly impossible to run homebrew on the 3DS level instead of the NDS level). The OS itself can detect whenever a certain exploit is trying to be used and either prevents it from happening or throws an error message (you know, those black screen of deaths that the 3DS had in the past?).

It's for this reason why Gateway doesn't work with firmware version 5 and above (we're currently in version 7). And if you don't upgrade, you're missing on a lot of features like the eshop and the latest games.

That's probably what the rumored "enhanced protection against software pirates" are.

Smeal and Gateway got around that by bootstrapping the latest firmware from the ancient version of it while running unsigned code from the background. Even then, it's very risky to do (they're lucky that Nintendo didn't try to prevent this from happening, not to mention the fact that this method can potentially break your system if you didn't do it properly).

Back