• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[NU] What if this Pokemon had that ability or move?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
ONLY FOR NEVERUSED POKEMON (click for the NU Pokemon list!)

So basically we all wish certain Pokemon had certain moves or abilities to make them more viable in the tier they're used in. Sometimes it's an unreleased Dream World ability, while other times it's wishful thinking for a move tutor to bring in a future generation, or just... wishing for a fourth ability.

This thread is where you can discuss that - someone mentions a Pokemon, with a new move and/or ability (nothing too strange for that Pokemon, ofc, like Golurk learning Aqua Tail or Torkoal learning High Jump Kick) and everyone else replies to that and discusses it as to how it'd fit into the tier. This one ofc is just NU-based, so nothing relating to other tiers, but you can discuss whether it'd still be viable in NU, what'd counter it, and so on. Keep in mind to use the actual NU thread for actual current metagame discussion, though.

Note: you could just mention what if Golurk had Levitate, for example, without needing an extra move, and vice versa! Just reply to what I brought up and if discussion slows for a while, bring up another Pokemon.

What if... Musharna learnt Recover, and had Magic Guard as an ability?

I think it'd be really good in the current NU metagame. It'd be the bulkier version of Duosion, which'd probably see less use with Musharna around, considering it has higher HP, could not be hurt by hail and could just set up all it likes without being destroyed by Burns or Poison. Skuntank's use would probably increase given that it wouldn't have to rely on Moonlight and had the superior Recover, and so would Golurk probably - to take out opposing Musharna as well as taking out Skuntank. My favourite thing of Rocky Helmet on Musharna would probably actually be used by people, given that physical attackers will be used more against it, given that it'd be able to set up easier, with it not being hurt by Poison/Burns. I think it might be a big force to contend to, especially in Hail, really.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
I've always wanted Ferrothorn to get Synthesis, or some other reliable healing move. That way, Rocky Helmet + Iron Thorns + Toxic + Protect + Synthesis = Epic Stall.

Years
If mamoswine got smack down, that would be amazing. Think about it; the only real "counters" to mamoswine(that are actually used and not some obscure crap) are skarm, bronzong, rotom-wash, and intimidate gyarados. Skarm, arguably the most used of the four, is absolutely destroyed by EQ after it's been smacked down.
Spoiler:

Bronzong is utterly smashed to pieces by mamoswine as well
Spoiler:

Mamoswine also demolishes rotom-wash as well, because most washers nowadays are either choiced(you're ****ed anyways), or tanks(where you ohko them with EQ)
Physically defensive gyarados actually takes a decent chunk of HP from eq
Spoiler:
and you kill with it after some hazards and smack down damage(it's super effective lol).

Same thing with piloswine in NU(i just noticed that the thread was supposed to be NU lol, SORRY), but there aren't nearly as many walls that would be easier to deal with when grounded.

As for the ability thing, obviously a lot of pokes would definitely appreciate a certain ability(pure power slaking)

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
If mamoswine got smack down, that would be amazing. Think about it; the only real "counters" to mamoswine(that are actually used and not some obscure crap) are skarm, bronzong, rotom-wash, and intimidate gyarados. Skarm, arguably the most used of the four, is absolutely destroyed by EQ after it's been smacked down.
Spoiler:

Bronzong is utterly smashed to pieces by mamoswine as well
Spoiler:

Mamoswine also demolishes rotom-wash as well, because most washers nowadays are either choiced(you're ****ed anyways), or tanks(where you ohko them with EQ)
Physically defensive gyarados actually takes a decent chunk of HP from eq
Spoiler:
and you kill with it after some hazards and smack down damage(it's super effective lol).

Same thing with piloswine in NU(i just noticed that the thread was supposed to be NU lol, SORRY), but there aren't nearly as many walls that would be easier to deal with when grounded.

As for the ability thing, obviously a lot of pokes would definitely appreciate a certain ability(pure power slaking)

I've always wanted Ferrothorn to get Synthesis, or some other reliable healing move. That way, Rocky Helmet + Iron Thorns + Toxic + Protect + Synthesis = Epic Stall.

Guys, NU please. :( It's meant to be a discussion for this tier only. Plus you're meant to carry on from the thing that the first post suggested and discuss for a bit, then move on for interesting discussion. If you really want an OU one, make one but keep this for NU only.

Nevertheless, to actually contribute something - with Piloswine the only benefit I can really see is Eelektross and Rotom-Frost although the latter would be hurt p badly from Smack Down anyway I'm assuming.

Edit: Nevermind, here's the OU one.

Last edited:

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I'd like to see more grass-types of the NU tier such as Bellossom and Ludicolo get Spore. 75% accuracy moves aren't reliable, so it'd be brilliant to see them have it other than just Amoongus. That way it'd be ensured the opponent would be put to sleep, (if it doesn't have an ability that prevents sleep) so you can get a few hard hits while the opponent is helpless ;). What do you guys think?

Ahh yeah poor Piloswine ;___;. I don't like how it can't do much against opponents, it's alright in defense and has a good source of HP, but other than that it's slow and usually struck first with its major weaknesses (rock.) I dunno, it's not too bad of an NU Pokemon, but I don't find it helpful in battle at all. Does anyone agree with this ;__;?

If Musharna learnt Recover, then that would certainly....be interesting. It has a good source of defense compared to most Psychic types, so I think this would suit it well, when in a dangerous situation with low HP. I like the idea :3. As for Magic Guard however, that would be a useful ability, since it wouldn't get status inflictions and all those stat decreases, but it would give the appearance of an invincible Pokemon and is that a good thing necessarily?

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
What if... Musharna learnt Recover, and had Magic Guard as an ability?
Bulkier, less-powerful (by a small margin) Reuniclus pretty much. Musharna with Recover and Magic Guard would definitely leave NU as it would be too much (and probably would have skyrocketing usage too) for the tier to handle. That's just how I see it, though.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd like to see more grass-types of the NU tier such as Bellossom and Ludicolo get Spore. 75% accuracy moves aren't reliable, so it'd be brilliant to see them have it other than just Amoongus. That way it'd be ensured the opponent would be put to sleep, (if it doesn't have an ability that prevents sleep) so you can get a few hard hits while the opponent is helpless ;). What do you guys think?

Ahh yeah poor Piloswine ;___;. I don't like how it can't do much against opponents, it's alright in defense and has a good source of HP, but other than that it's slow and usually struck first with its major weaknesses (rock.) I dunno, it's not too bad of an NU Pokemon, but I don't find it helpful in battle at all. Does anyone agree with this ;__;?

If Musharna learnt Recover, then that would certainly....be interesting. It has a good source of defense compared to most Psychic types, so I think this would suit it well, when in a dangerous situation with low HP. I like the idea :3. As for Magic Guard however, that would be a useful ability, since it wouldn't get status inflictions and all those stat decreases, but it would give the appearance of an invincible Pokemon and is that a good thing necessarily?

LUDI WITH SPORE. yeah no. that'd be too powerful XD; Well, other than it needs Rain Dance, it'd be useful on a stalling Ludi, and useful on Ludi which doesn't need Rain Dance set up and can only 2HKO otherwise, aka something needing Ice Beam. Ugh way too powerful/irritating then imo. Countering it would be REALLY hard too in rain teams, oh my God.

Bulkier, less-powerful (by a small margin) Reuniclus pretty much. Musharna with Recover and Magic Guard would definitely leave NU as it would be too much (and probably would have skyrocketing usage too) for the tier to handle. That's just how I see it, though.

On the Mushy notes for both of you, yeah it could be out of NU BUT Skuntank and Absol would be trouble for it. I mean, worse off would be Regenerator rather than Magic Guard, honestly. At least with Magic Guard it matches that it's slow, much like Duosion. Plus it's usually 2hko'd by mooost powerful attackers. ;(

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
What if Grumpig had Recover/Moonlight/Slack Off/any recovery move besides Rest and Pain Split?

imo if Grumpig had a recovery move it would become a premier NU special wall. It could also utilize a specially-defensive tank set with that base 90 special attack if hers.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd see it as having Recover actually. I was really surprised it didn't in fact! If it was I think it'd up in usage, possibly rivalling Musharna, somewhat. I mean there's a lot less scary special attackers in NU imo so I think it'd have less usage than Mushy, anyway.

Ludicolo check though does make it somewhat great (given that it'll have Recover and can just stall out rain) but still, Samurott could pose an issue for it. :(

Back