• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Hey, guys, in my hack I'm using FR and I created an evolved form of Smoochum where the female evolves into Jynx and in mine you can catch a male Smoochum that evolves into a completely different male version, but I should have thought this through first because I can't see any way to do this with YAPE, is it possible? o-o

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
Hey, guys, in my hack I'm using FR and I created an evolved form of Smoochum where the female evolves into Jynx and in mine you can catch a male Smoochum that evolves into a completely different male version, but I should have thought this through first because I can't see any way to do this with YAPE, is it possible? o-o

Since that method of evolution wasn't created until d/p, I'm afraid it can't be done without asm. But what you can do is Add another smoochum Pokemon, and make that evolve into something else. Set one smoochum to 100% male and the other to 100% female. That'll work. :)

Does anyone know approxamitely how much free space is in Pokemon fire red? Like MB...

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Since that method of evolution wasn't created until d/p, I'm afraid it can't be done without asm. But what you can do is Add another smoochum Pokemon, and make that evolve into something else. Set one smoochum to 100% male and the other to 100% female. That'll work. :)

Does anyone know approxamitely how much free space is in Pokemon fire red? Like MB...

I just calculated it, and it's roughly 8.875 MB, if you start at 0x720000 and go on to 0xFFFFFF. There were some FFs above 0x720000, though, so you have a little less than 9MB of free space. (It would be exactly 9 MB if 0x700000 - 0xFFFFFF were free)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2014
When saving data, I've noticed that some program is writing over 00's in the 2A... group; I'm a assuming it's Advance Map because the problems recur after saving. This is a problem because that's where the Viridian City tileset is located (Tileset #2), and most of the behavior bytes and background bytes have 00 bytes. This messes things such as doors and tiles the player should be covering. Is there any way where I can make Advance Map not save in this area?

Rokou

» inactive
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 21, 2014
When saving data, I've noticed that some program is writing over 00's in the 2A... group; I'm a assuming it's Advance Map because the problems recur after saving. This is a problem because that's where the Viridian City tileset is located (Tileset #2), and most of the behavior bytes and background bytes have 00 bytes. This messes things such as doors and tiles the player should be covering. Is there any way where I can make Advance Map not save in this area?
It searches for FF bytes by default, use the block editor to change the tile behavior.

Here is a example.
Spoiler:

You can also uncheck "Automatically look for offsets" under "Settings" in order to pick your own offsets.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Hai all, I got a problem with A-map. When i set pokemon in wild pokemon editor (i put taillows in route 1 and some pidgeys and rattatas) but the only pokemon i encounter are sandslash of high level. Can someone help me? I would really appreciate!

Thanks in advance all!
You probably missclicked, check the map again and set it again, also don't forget to save.

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
I understand...you're wanting to change what map appears when you open the World Map. I had a similar problem, since my game has multiple regions, and the best way to do it is with a hex editor, I'm afraid. I'll link to a tutorial you'd find useful, but I'll sum up what you can do to avoid using it.

Which map appears is based on the name (yes, name) of the current route you're on. Anything with an index from 0x58 to 0x8E ("Pallet Town" to "Power Plant") Automatically end up showing Map 1. It's down in the programming that, if the index is less than or equal to 0x8E, display map 1. For the other maps, it uses a list, making Maps 2-4 easier to customize. Tutorial for the above is here, courtesy of Mastermind X

Mastermind X tutorial those ROM:083F1AA0 is mean 0x3F1AA0? I'm use hexworkshop. If me changed 0x8E ("Power Plant") to Worldmap 3 then if me open worldmap at Power Plant will appear Worldmap 3 on screen?

PS:Sorry for my bad english...

I think you're talking about connection settings, assuming I understand what you're saying...

In a-map 1.92 I believe one of the pictures (next to show sprite, etc...) is the connection settings. It's self explanatory from there, you just change where you want the map to connect to.

I'm not saying connection settings, sorry for my bad english. Thanks for reply. :)

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Mastermind X tutorial those ROM:083F1AA0 is mean 0x3F1AA0? I'm use hexworkshop. If me changed 0x8E ("Power Plant") to Worldmap 3 then if me open worldmap at Power Plant will appear Worldmap 3 on screen?

PS:Sorry for my bad english...

For the former, yes. the 08 denotes that the values are in the ROM, which is generally the most edited portion of the game itself, and used by all tools and scripts. Other values access different parts of the memory.

For the latter, also yes.

Last edited:
Years
Help with Advance Map.

Hey, I'd just like a little help.
I've kinda got the basics of advance map now, I know what everything does-ish.
i just need help because when i open the 'settings' menu i don't have the option to 'choose script editor' - does anyone know why/how to fix it?

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2019
Hi, does anyone know of a good save editor for Gen III? I'm talking about the .sav battery files, and the reason I want this is because I want to edit my Pokémon's nickname before getting to the Name Rater. I have tried Enciclopedia and managed to edit their names, but when I save the file and load it I get the corrupt save error, and the game uses the backup save instead.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have been looking for a save editor for a while and many have dropped support for lower generation games.

Years
some questions on the limits of rom hacking

As you can already guess I just want a few questions i have had about what is capable of being done to pokemon gba roms

1. Pokemon being able to recover from poison before fainting (being put in the games that don't have it like fire red)
2. Deleting/Replacing Maps with blank space. (for roms that dont need as many maps as their base)
3. Creating Specials
4. REALLY using the mystery gift system (is definently a big interenst to rom hackers looking to use it somehow)

Before answering, be aware I know these things are the most wanted and unestablished parts of romhacking if possible at all, so do not answer its not possible. I am looking for a general idea where I could start learning how to do any of the above that are possible and if anyone has research done on them id like to learn what you figured out

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2014
Badges

I have three questions about FireRed. Has anyone figured out how to

1. allow the player to use HM moves outside of battle without obtaining badges,
  2. force all Pokemon to obey the player regardless of which badges they have, and
  3. disable the stat bonuses that badges give?
I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer any of these questions (especially #1).

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Does anyone know where I can get a hex generator so I can get the hex values for items in FR? I'm making a gym leader and I can't get him to give the right items because I don't have the hex value for it and I'm struggling with finding one. Thank you.

Rokou

» inactive
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 21, 2014
Does anyone know where I can get a hex generator so I can get the hex values for items in FR? I'm making a gym leader and I can't get him to give the right items because I don't have the hex value for it and I'm struggling with finding one. Thank you.
Hex is basic knowledge but well, try this.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
SpadeEdge16, if you have XSE downloaded, you can search for the file "stditems.rbh" and it has a full list. It's actually a header file, for a shortcut to using them in scripts, but I tend to use it simply as documentation.

Okay, so if you saw my post before I edited it, you know that I was asking a question about 'swi #0x6' and it not working. Well, I figured out what was going on - VBA SDL H itself was interfering with it, due to a breakpoint I put there.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2022
My question is how to (in Emerald) change how at the beginning, Prof. Birch is talking to you, shows you the Pokemon, asks you for your name, ect. Is there any way to change what he says in there? Because I have his name and the first towns name different.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
My question is how to (in Emerald) change how at the beginning, Prof. Birch is talking to you, shows you the Pokemon, asks you for your name, ect. Is there any way to change what he says in there? Because I have his name and the first towns name different.

Try using A-text if you want to change the text.....

There's also some tools that can change what pokemon the proffessor will release like A-intro editor.

But I haven't tested it on emerald yet. (Only did it on FireRed.)

Hope this helps. :D

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2022
Try using A-text if you want to change the text.....

There's also some tools that can change what pokemon the proffessor will release like A-intro editor.

But I haven't tested it on emerald yet. (Only did it on FireRed.)

Hope this helps. :D

Thanks, but where can I download this? Can I have a link to it please. Also, did you just change your avatar right after you posted... It was a Zoroark, but now it is an eye.

EDIT: Just found it, and it doesn't work for Emerald. :(

EDIT 2: Problem was that I needed an Emerald ini, which I found one on the forums. It isn't complete though, but it shall serve its purpose.

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
An idea just struck me. Would it be possible to change FireRed's Pokedex to Ruby's? I know nothing about how it can be done, but would it be possible & practical to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back