• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Seems to me that you are. :o

Anyway, I should be writing right now, but, being myself, I'm on the computer looking at shipping discussions cause I don't have a life. :D

In shipping fics, do you prefer a happy ending or a sad, depressing ending?

Well, it depends on how the people in the ship interact. I'm all for variety of ships, but if they don't have good interaction throughout the story(as in 'I can't picture them together because of how they act to one another') then a sad ending is fine. Happy endings tend to disgust me...unless done correctly. O.o But of course, I'll still read...I'm reading one where the interaction is great, and I'm a big supporter of the ship, but...the girl dies.

Although...I speculate she didn't die and that the author is bringing her back...which makes the story a little predicatable if that is the case...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I prefer shipping fics where, after hours in transit in a big rig, the shipped goods arrive safely at their destination :P

Meh, I usually avoid anything involving shipping, but if I were forced at gunpoint to read one, I would rather see a nice, happy ending. Because I'm such a happy person xD

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Either or. It really depends on what mood I'm in. Though, there are times when my more "romantic" side shows through, and I want to see a happy ending. But then there are other times when I want to see people suffer, and I want a dark depressing fic where one member of the ship dies. *kicks her Blazeshipping idea into the dark recesses of her mind*

ze_gobou

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Years
It depends on which shipping it is. For shippings I support, I prefer happy endings, whereas for shippings I don't like, a happy ending sounds ridiculous to me.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

If I write it, I always like either a happy or ambiguous ending. For some reason, I just can't write a tragedy between canon characters because it always comes off feeling tacky.

If I read it, I usually like either or, depending on the storyline and the pairing. If the entire story is just about the characters angsting, I'll hit the back button. If it starts off okay but ends up a tragedy, that's more interesting. And it's hard to make me hate fluff.

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
Years
When writing, how do you emphasize a character speaking in a louder voice?
I use every means given to me--ending tags, capitals, italicisation, in moderate and measured amount, to indicate diferent levels of agitation. Usual shouting is handled by an exclamation mark, while italics are generally reserved for emphasis and caps for the heavy stuff.

How do you plan a story? Do you make an outline, etc., or does it just come to you as you write?
Eheheh, my current obsession. I'm attempting to go heavy with this particular detail, and if you can bear an impassioned evangelist rant I will explain what I hope it shall turn out to be. I plan to begin with a basic 'axiom', which is the origin of the entire fiction-universe, and I plan to branch it out into exact measured RATIONAL bases for the development of the characters. Then I intend to advance each shade of circumstance around them into a separate thread of cause and effect, so that not a single idea is arbitrary, not a single theme is disharmonious with the whole, and not one event leading to--suggesting the hint of--a plot hole. I shall have everything planned out. The actual writing process will be a simple one of chronicalization, and may (metaphorical) God forgive me if I make the slightest mistake along the way. *wipes froth from the corner of his mouth* So yes, that's my deal.

I am crazy.

And verily, the true chant to recite when an elementary pidgey causes your hind portions to sore, is a torturous poetic song of emo(tional) tragedy to the effect that now your nail is broken.

Bay

Years

It depends more on the mood the shipping fic is going. If it's going more of a darker tone, then sad ending. However, if it's more light hearted and comedic, then a happy ending. The reason I said that is because I think it would be werid to read a fic that has a dark tone suddenly have a happy ending. ^^;

Preference though, I pretty much prefer happy endings because there should be more of them...XD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The reason I said that is because I think it would be werid to read a fic that has a dark tone suddenly have a happy ending. ^^;

xD That would be kinda weird. I don't think I've come across that kind yet.

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2009
Would anyone be interested in a fanfiction about:

• A city kid moves to a rural area and makes friends with a "hick" He learns to farm and crap like that.

• A story about a boy who's parents don't let him go on a pokemon journey so he is stuck at home with his poke pet.

• A boy runs away from his rich home so he can be a taste-tester but looses his taste in a tragic car accident.

• ARGG! A tale about pirates with pokemon. (I'd think of a plot if I were to write it.)
These ideas just came to me because as you know i am 2 kewl 4 skewl.

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
Years
Regarding the very popular question on shipping fictions, I don't suppose my answer should count: I enjoy sad endings more in any fiction, but this is a general response and has no relation to the subject at hand. I don't think I have much of an opinion.

Mary-sue Litmus Tests: What is your general opinion?
Mary-Sues are very specific breeds of bad characters which gained notoriety in these circles. I really don't see how they can be taken as elemental beings which have and always will be part of the writing universe. (I once read a writing guide in which every possible character was classified into a spectrum, which had Mary-Sue and OC as the extremes and Self-insert in the mean.) If one looks at, say, Fransicso d'Anconia or John Galt from Ayn Rand's book Atlas Shrugged, these humans who could do everything in no other way than superlatively, who were perfectly competent in every sphere of life and truly good and virtuous--by the moral code of the book, in any case--still showed a remarkable level of complexity. Therefore, finally arriving at my point, I feel Mary-Sue litmus tests divide characters into categories as concrete as acids and bases, which really cannot be done with such beings. Consider:

How do you execute previews to your fictions? Do you go with the usual excerpt from the story, or do your try things more creative?
I generally don't write in such a manner as to have leftover scenes, so I merely take a fairly representative couple of paragraphs and put them in the preview. If anything, however, I would depict a scene from the story's universe that was never really even developed in the story. If, say, I had vaguely alluded to the death of a frog-king in the story, I could describe the death in the preview.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
A city kid moves to a rural area and makes friends with a "hick" He learns to farm and crap like that.

Well, since there's an apparent abundance of Harvest Moon fanfiction on the internet...

A story about a boy who's parents don't let him go on a pokemon journey so he is stuck at home with his poke pet.

Depends on what he did at home.

A boy runs away from his rich home so he can be a taste-tester but looses his taste in a tragic car accident.

Mmm. Cracktastic.

Somehow, I swear I saw a Scooby Doo special like that, but I could've been hallucinating at the time.

ARGG! A tale about pirates with pokemon. (I'd think of a plot if I were to write it.)

Wait, do you really even need a plot? You've got pirates. You've got Pokemon. It would be awesome, even if there was absolutely no point to it whatsoever.

Unless Kiera Knightley was involved. Please, for the love of all things good and holy, don't introduce Elizabeth Swann into this fandom.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
A city kid moves to a rural area and makes friends with a "hick" He learns to farm and crap like that.

I rofl'd at this one.

A boy runs away from his rich home so he can be a taste-tester but looses his taste in a tragic car accident.

DO IT.

Unless Kiera Knightley was involved. Please, for the love of all things good and holy, don't introduce Elizabeth Swann into this fandom.

I agree on that. Please don't. D:

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2009
* Elizabeth Swann was my favorite character >:( *

The kid, in the Pokepet story, has to stay at his house because his parents are over protective or he did drugs IDK.

The only reason the dog talked on Scooby-Doo is because those people were smoking pot. I was in a role-play with that plot-line. Except I got banned from that forum for apparently having multiple accounts.

LOL WUT?! I've never seen a Harvest Moon fan-fic. HEHE! I'm going to find one.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
LOL WUT?! I've never seen a Harvest Moon fan-fic. HEHE! I'm going to find one.

I love Harvest Moon. :3

Oh my gosh. My friend is writing a GrantedShipping(LancexYellow) lemon. x3 Note that there is a twelve year age difference between the two.

GrantedShipping for the win. Seriously.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
ARGG! A tale about pirates with pokemon. (I'd think of a plot if I were to write it.)
If you decide to write this, make sure one of the subplots involves a Pokemon developing a bad case of scurvy. Because scurvy is a fun word to say.

Also, perhaps a "Pirates Vs. Ninjas vs. mudkip liekerz" fanfic?

Bay

Years

Oh man, I want to write a crackfic about that! Ninja boys, Team Aqua, and Mudkip ahoy! =D And yes, pun intended. (gets shot) XD

How do you execute previews to your fictions? Do you go with the usual excerpt from the story, or do your try things more creative?

Well, there are two types of previews I do: a preview of an upcoming chapter on one of the fic's threads or a thread that is a preview before I post the story.

For the upcoming one, I would usually just give a summary of what would happen next to the story, though I'm not doing those no more because I'm afraid I'll spoil the chapter. XD

For previews before I post the story, I would just give an except to have the readers start get excited for my fic and maybe a commercial to give the readers a taste of what is to come. ^^

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I lost me mojo. T_T

Reminds me of nearly every opening of Harvest Moon. And, like, the only episode of "Three's Company" that I saw, which was hilarious.

A story about a boy who's parents don't let him go on a pokemon journey so he is stuck at home with his poke pet.
Now I'm thinking of any one of those movies/shows where boredom causes some sort of magical crack-induced adventure to happen. Or, like, those commercials with the kids that whine that there's nothing to do, and then they eat cereal and everything is happy.

Needs a tragic theme song.

And now I'm thinking of Captain Feathersword from the Wiggles dancing with Mudkip on his pirate ship.

In short: these stories are awesome.

Note that there is a twelve year age difference between the two.
That doesn't shock me in the least... *whistles innocently*

I don't preview my fics, since that reminds me of that voice over guy from the movie previews. And also, I fail at previewing anything.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

Yeeeeah. <3

That doesn't shock me in the least... *whistles innocently*

Ohhhh. Hmmm, well it's not as bad a gap as PaisShipping(GiovannixMax). That one's got like...30-40 years on it? And it's a yaoi pairing at that. Max wouldn't know what's going on...guess he'll just go along with it.

Haven't read anything on that. Doubt I ever will, too.

And now I'm thinking of Captain Feathersword from the Wiggles dancing with Mudkip on his pirate ship.

In short: these stories are awesome.

Can I dance with him? :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back