• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you use the Red Gyarados?

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Yup, I have. If I picked Cyndaquil for my starter, I will purposely not raise a water Pokemon in my team and save that spot for when I catch that powerhouse. I personally can't resist shiny and strong Pokemon no matter how I get it, so the Red Gyarados is definitely not an exception. But if my starter is Totodile, I will definitely catch it, but it won't be a member in my team. Two water-types do not strengthen any team.

Reese Cake

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)? ?
Years
I normally just kill it off to annoy my nephew. He's all like, "OMG A SHINY POKEMON YOU HAS TO CATCH IT!!1!!!11" and then I'm like, "Lolnope." It's fun to annoy him. :)

Even if I did choose to catch it once, I wouldn't use it. I used it once before when I had Chikorita as a starter, and I really don't like using pokemon more than once. (I'm odd like that.)

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
I used him, I like Gyarados a lot. I did box him for my second play through, but I kept Gyarados and leveled him up to about 80-100. IMO he's really good ever since he was overhauled in gen IV.

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
Years
I use him mainly because he is a Shiny Pokemon and because you are required to battle him to advance the story, so I might as well catch it and use it.

weasel king

Cubone Lord and Dragon Master
Years
Assuming that you catched the Red Gyarados, did you use it in your team or did you leave it to rot in the PC? For both scenarios, why? Do you like having shinies on your team? Maybe you already had a Gyarados? Perhaps it didn't fit the 'motif' of your team? Perhaps yopu were dong a challenge and it just wasn't right?

I left mine to rot in the PC unfortunately. I mainly just enslaved it, using it for HM's -- waterfall and surf.

What about YOU?
Well, I try to use shinies, but it was either Gyarados or my starter, so gyarados rotting is going on.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
No, not all that much. He wasn't technically legitimate like "Oh my Arceus, it's a shiny RANDOM Gyarados!" He was programmed to be shiny so I didn't like it. I just enslaved him and that was it. I'm replaying Heartgold but I doubt i'll use him. I'll just keep him to get to Lapras in Union Cave :P

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2016
Red Gyarados is one of the most unique pokemon in the whole game. I kept it on my team alongside my Blue Gyarados; both very powerful and destroyed Lance in the E4.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
I can't use Pokemon I don't train myself, I love Gyarados; but I prefer to train it from Magikarp. So I pc'd it

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
on my 1st play,I used it after that experience,I thought Gyarados wasn't good unless you train it from Magikarp.

On my 2nd play I replaced it with Feraligatr and put it in the PC

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I actually still have mine from SoulSilver but it was sent over to Diamond. I don't really use it aside from some battles with my friend (if we agree on a certain level restriction that stops me from using my better ones). That Gyarados was my second shiny, I believe. T:

But yeah it's just rotting in my PC box. I have either two or three LoR Gyarados now because people on GTS are always putting them up. Storyline or not, it's still a shiny. (;

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I've never used a Gyarados in my life and when I caught a shiny Gyarados it still did not make me want to use it; not even as an HM slave because I already had an HM slave. Gyarados was only good for completing my Pokedex and not to brag because everyone had one.

:t354:TG

Years
I boxed mine. Gyarados isn't really a Pokemon I like too much, plus I already had my water type (either Vaporeon or Feraligatr) by the time I reached Mahogany. There are water types I like much better and I wasn't a fan of how slow Gyarados was to level up. ):

Years
  • Seen Feb 4, 2013
I don't own either HG/SS yet (infact that is the reason I joined up) but in the original Pokemon Red/Yellow I used a Gyarados and when Gold came out I got the red Gyarados from then onwards (my starter was the grass type I think).

Surprised so many people don't like it, in the first 2 generations it was one of the most powerful pokemon in the game (stronger than the starter water pokemon in stats with a more diverse ability list), interesting because it evolves from the weakest pokemon in the game, i always got excited having a Magikarp on my team because I knew at level 20 it would evolve into something that was far beyond the strength of any other pokemon at the same level, even if attacks wise it was lacking (just tackle and bite at 20)

I don't know how it fairs in the newer generations though, but I would expect If (when) I grab a copy of Soul Silver it will find itself on my team.

moscarodas

Requiescat in pace
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2015
I didn't catch it. I used it to evolve my Dratiny. It's color is nice but it is a programmed shiny. It's not a shiny Pokemon like the others.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
As soon as I caught the Red Gyarados, I boxed it. I was intending on using it in the Battle Frontier, but I procrastinated and never got around training it.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
I'm using Pyke the Red Gyarados as we speak on the current leg of my Red Monocolor challenge :). He was pretty much an obvious choice for the team. If I wasn't using him, I would have probably ended up with a Kingler instead, so it all worked out.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I used it in HG just because I did so in Gold, mostly for nostalgic reasons. My first team in Gold was Quilava/Red Gyarados/Ho-Oh and while I didn't just use those three, it was kinda cool to use the water Pokemon again.

Back