• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiar

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 5, 2014
How to edit the ability names in Fire Red ROM? I copied the hex offset and checked what's under it, and i haven't found anything..

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
advance map warping

I can't believe I am havig sucha hard time with AM warp

heres the thing

I decided to expand Virdian forest so i changed the map size

and I did not touch the warps, but i did move them around in the Viridian forest map

now when i try to go from route 2 to viridian forest i get a black screen.

what did i do wrong here?

or do i need to make a warp script in this case.

Years
I can't believe I am havig sucha hard time with AM warp

heres the thing

I decided to expand Virdian forest so i changed the map size

and I did not touch the warps, but i did move them around in the Viridian forest map

now when i try to go from route 2 to viridian forest i get a black screen.

what did i do wrong here?

or do i need to make a warp script in this case.
Warps? I don't think that is what you should be doing. Check if your map connections are right in A-Map.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023

Warps? I don't think that is what you should be doing. Check if your map connections are right in A-Map.

I don't think its connections because do you remember in route 2 you enter that small building, then that bulding will lead you to viridian forest.

the warp in that building is correct according to AM i tested it by using the goto button, but when playing i walk through the door in the building and i get a black screen.

does the postion of the warp have any effect in this case?

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
Blue Palettes.

Okay, after finding the tiles in Red and editing them, I'm working on Pokemon BLUE. Anyone know how I can change the Super Gameboy border to be green coloured instead of Blue and the title screen's text so it's green coloured instead of blue? Also, anyone know how to edit the default names list data? I saw a tool for doing that somewhere, but I was never able to find it again.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Okay, after finding the tiles in Red and editing them, I'm working on Pokemon BLUE. Anyone know how I can change the Super Gameboy border to be green coloured instead of Blue and the title screen's text so it's green coloured instead of blue?
SGB border's palettes are at following addresses:
1) 0x72f88-0x72f8f
2) 0x72fa8-0x72faf
3) 0x72fc8-0x72fcf

Palette for titlescreen "blue version" text is at 0x726c8.

SGB palette are formed by 4 colours, each one made up by 2 bytes, structured this way:
basically every colour is formed by Red, Green and Blue, each ones of these three is defined by 5 bits (so each basic colour will have a value range between 0 and 31) so in binary format you'll have this (bytes in little endian format, bits are from highest to lowest):
1st byte = GGGR RRRR
2nd byte = 0BBB BBGG
(highest bit of second byte is unused)

Also, anyone know how to edit the default names list data? I saw a tool for doing that somewhere, but I was never able to find it again.
Again, a table file + a hex editor will work fine. And, again, as I told you, use a ROM Map, to find the data.

Do you actually check the answers to your questions, usually?

treecko0

Carpe Diem
Years
ok so i want to start hacking yet ive encoutered a problem.
i want to download the programs (yape and otheres) on the comoputer on my room which dosent have internet. ive managed to get the programd but i need to download .net framework 3.5 yet when i try to install it it says something about connecting with the server yet i dont have internet so i cant get it to install. is there another way?

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
SGB border's palettes are at following addresses:
1) 0x72f88-0x72f8f
2) 0x72fa8-0x72faf
3) 0x72fc8-0x72fcf

Palette for titlescreen "blue version" text is at 0x726c8.

SGB palette are formed by 4 colours, each one made up by 2 bytes, structured this way:
basically every colour is formed by Red, Green and Blue, each ones of these three is defined by 5 bits (so each basic colour will have a value range between 0 and 31) so in binary format you'll have this (bytes in little endian format, bits are from highest to lowest):
1st byte = GGGR RRRR
2nd byte = 0BBB BBGG
(highest bit of second byte is unused)

Okay, do I find these in a Hex editor or another program.
EDIT: Thanks for the info on the default names. I actually got rid of the default names with it, which is what I was trying to do all along. Now, you HAVE to choose a name. All I need to do is edit some of the text, which I can do without help, and figure out what to use to get those palettes edited to Green, and I'll be set! The only thing I can think of that I need to do other than that is change some of the trades you do and edit the wild Pokemon data, which I can easily do on my own. So thanks for the help so far and I appreciate any info I can get to edit those palettes. PS, I only read part of the answer, I was face palming at my own stupidity for not realizing that the data was under my nose the whole time. I'm editing Blue, which is MUCH easier for me to work with than Red, so I'm having an easier time editing the data. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Hi, I'm trying to make a hack just for fun, and its not going so well (obviously).

I'm hacking FireRed

I got one of those base ROMs from one of the other threads, and I am lost. Since there are no maps on it, I can't make anything, and whenever I say to create map, It doesn't make it like a (2.0) or assign it a bank, just makes a blank file that "doesnt exist". It might just be my incompetence, or do I have to take an already created map and edit it?

Also, are there any tutorials that are on actually MAKING a game? It seems like the only tutorials for scripting or making the map don't explain how to find space, or edit the beginning animation or anything.

Thanks for help ^w^

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2013
I'm wanting to introduce a new method into my game, an opposite to critical hits. If anyone's played Disgaea, I want the 'nick' feature. Theoretically I know it's possible, since in order to have a critical the game has to make some sort of RNG call, but...

....I haven't a clue how to go about it. I've never done any hex editing/scripting before. >.< Does anyone have any ideas how to go about this?

jota_rdk

Spanish hacker [Javi4315]
Years
You're gonna need to be a lot more specific than that. What, exactly, are you trying to locate?

Okay, sorry. I am trying to locate all multichoices to modificate it with an hex editor.

I don't know if I have explained well, but my english isn't very good xD.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Not really sure if this is the right place to post

but does any1 else notice a small bug in A-trainer
trainer 006 has only one pokemon but when you battle with him he has 2 of the same pokemon and its a double battle, beat only one of his pokemon and the battle is over.

im just curious are there any other numvers in a-trainer that has a similar bug such as this one?

jota_rdk

Spanish hacker [Javi4315]
Years
Okay, sorry. I am trying to locate all multichoices to modificate it with an hex editor.

I don't know if I have explained well, but my english isn't very good xD.

A part of this question (colcolstyles xD), I have another:

I have converted a text in hexadecimal, "hola" (because I am spanish xD): 686F6C61

But if I compile the same text with XSE: DCE3E0D5

What happen? What method is used to compile a text?

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Okay, do I find these in a Hex editor or another program.
EDIT: Thanks for the info on the default names. I actually got rid of the default names with it, which is what I was trying to do all along. Now, you HAVE to choose a name. All I need to do is edit some of the text, which I can do without help, and figure out what to use to get those palettes edited to Green, and I'll be set! The only thing I can think of that I need to do other than that is change some of the trades you do and edit the wild Pokemon data, which I can easily do on my own. So thanks for the help so far and I appreciate any info I can get to edit those palettes. PS, I only read part of the answer, I was face palming at my own stupidity for not realizing that the data was under my nose the whole time. I'm editing Blue, which is MUCH easier for me to work with than Red, so I'm having an easier time editing the data. Thanks for the help!

Yes, you use a hex editor.

To edit existing palettes you can use this program (except for SGB border palettes, which aren't supported by the tool).

Or, in general, if you need to convert colors in Gameboy RGB format, use the program in the attachment (I made it some time ago, because in fact editing colours without seeing the actual shades can be hard)
You simply scroll the bars for Red, Green and Blue, until you obtain the colour you like, and in the textbox on the top left you can read the corresponding 2 bytes' hex value (it's little endian so you won't need to switch the bytes). Just write the two bytes in place of the colour you want to change.

G00dbye

Ludicolo
Years
I've two questions

1. Is it possible to add RTC to fire red.

2. You know the day & night system from (i haven't done enough post to add a link) pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=204047, in pokemon dppt and hgss there are some pokemon that only appears at night like a hoothoot. is there some program to add that to a gba pokemon game?

1. Yes. It requires knowledge of ASM though.
2. Since it is tied in with the RTC, that too, would require ASM.

Thank you.

Do you know a tutorial for people who haven't knowledge of ASM?

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I don't think its connections because do you remember in route 2 you enter that small building, then that bulding will lead you to viridian forest.

the warp in that building is correct according to AM i tested it by using the goto button, but when playing i walk through the door in the building and i get a black screen.

does the postion of the warp have any effect in this case?

Actually, I've run into a similar problem in the past when working on one of the many dropped hack ideas I had.
I had expanded the interior of, silph co I think, and made it an evil madman's lab/house, it was pretty cool, the script was epic, up until you battle your way into the house. The warp worked fine in A-Map, but when I went through the door, I was in my map, but I was surfing.

I think these sorts of problems happen when A-Map accidentally overwrites other data.
That or maybe there is something seriously wrong with your map footer/header.

IDK, It's been a while since I've done some ROM hacking work, and I'm using memory here to remember problems of the past, many of which have been solved now.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
A part of this question (colcolstyles xD), I have another:

I have converted a text in hexadecimal, "hola" (because I am spanish xD): 686F6C61

But if I compile the same text with XSE: DCE3E0D5

What happen? What method is used to compile a text?

You should probably do a little research on the topic of tables & table files. It'll be crucial if you're planning on doing anything text-related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back