• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Free Education.

Years
yeah, i want to discuss this theme with all of you (well, active discussions & news guys xd)
what do you think that countries of southamerica (like chile) DON'T have free education.
how is the education in your country?

share your thoughts:)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Can't say America has Free Education. I had a ton of things I had to pay for in practically everyschool I went to.

My Highschool alone:
I have a $20 Enrollment fee
School Fee was $75 (this was for general use of facilities like restroom, gymnasium, the weight room, track and field)
I had to pay for each class individually:
Math classes were about $30
English Classes were about $20
Science was $49 (I remember this one cause it was the most expensive of the classes)
Art was $20
P.E was $15
Languages were $15
Shop classes (I didn't take but my brother did) $35
Social Sciences $15

I don't remember other class types right off, but a majority of what was left was $10-$15.

This did cover books and test materials though. Albeit it wasn't as expensive as buying the materials needed on my own (still had to for art. Materials included I spent over $200.

Field Trips cost $30-$40 and three were mandatory trips so you had to pay to go on it or you got a failing grade for the assignment that went along with it.

Joining any club you had to pay. Price depended on Club, even the Honor Society which you get into for having good grades. Honor Society and Beta Club which were the two grade related clubs were the most expensive. I think it was $100 cover charge plus additional fees as the years went on. Other clubs forced you to sell items, like raffle tickets, candy, etc.

I went to what you could say was a cheap school too. It had fairly low grade average so it was a lower ranked school so we got less funding from the government and paid less for extra things since we didn't need as fancy of materials as other schools did. Our rival school was above us in this regard and their classes were practically double the cost of mine.

We never really paid any attention to it since it wasn't something kids our ages worried about and ended up becoming conditioned to it by the time we were near graduation.

But based on how much I paid for Public school alone, I could have attended 2 and a half semesters of college.

There was nothing free about my education. Even had to get a job my Junior year to help pay for my "Public Schooling".

Years
yeah here where i live i have to pay about 100$ every month ( in chilean pesos is like 48.000$) and annually i have to pay more than 1000$! (again, 600.000$!) and is really expensive though, besides pf the good education my mom and i are working our as*es off to pay it, just to study a nice career of engineering or english advanced studies, other schools u have to pay like 500$ a year but they teach nothing to use in your life.
yeah public schooling basically, is s***.

Years
We have to remember no education is "free", though I understand why it's often referred to as so.

Essentially, "free education" is the pooling of a society's resources to provide educational services to all of those that live within the society. Certainly if education were not socially funded, class warfare among other issues of inequality would ensue, since many families would not be able to afford the education, if even allowed to attend.

Education in the United States suffers a few issues. The funding is there, not well allocated in some respects such as unnecessary paid positions in government and schools in place of outdated textbooks. Teachers are paid well and receive many many protections and benefits relative to other developed nations. However, money doesn't fix the societal and cultural defects that interact with the educational system. For instance, countries that are more cohesive, many of which are located in East Asia, are mostly homogeneous in comparison to the United States and are able to excel with less funding since the parents, teachers, and students have clear expectations of their duties and are VERY reverent toward duties. Parents from family to family share common traditions and roles in their childrens' education. In the United States, there is not a strong social cohesion by which binds and obligates that parents perform their duties in a uniform fashion. Thus, some parents will be more active while others will be less active, in addition a difference in the fashion of these interactions. It would seem the bar is raise by societal pressure in Eastern Asian whereas the United States, "the land of the free" is more heterogeneous in customs and cultures and hasn't dealt with these differences as Canada has, in that they do more uniformly maintain expectations fairly ubiquitously. Essentially, the United States likely won't improve or keep pace with Eastern nations if the real problem, the social structure, is not addressed.

Spending on Education to Standardized Test Scoring
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
wow, i read it all haha
well to the point i obviously support your point of view
Chile is also having a problem with education, if we can call it like that
since a long time Chile in South America is considered one of the countries with the worst languages, why?
well i can easily tell you: we don't care about our language, and the teachers or persons who teach the language(i.e. parents, tutors, whoever raises you) teach you bad! just by using stupid words with no meaning! thats why, the study of communication and languages is getting pretty down because of that, and the education is going down with it.

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
Years
I should think that public schools should be free and actually teach things to people that they will keep, not just a giant broad variety of things and say you will need that for the rest of your life (like I needed to know we got the word sideburns from Gen. Burn Sides?). Also to the kids of families that don't have it good, I never really had it good like most people I've been around but I haven't had it bad like a lot others. We still struggle and even with the "Public Free" education the schools tell us, they still make us pay just to go there, I would understand the whole breakfast and lunch pay but still, Also for extra activities like p.e. What are you using in p.e.? At my last school I had to pay $20 just for a towel in pe, and I never received a towel. And then it was another $50 for the pe outfit. The schools need to be funded by the government to give real free education that work. I may of missed something in my whole conjecture of free education but if it doesn't make sense just quote where it doesn't.

Sir Codin

The schools need to be funded by the government to give real free education that work. I may of missed something in my whole conjecture of free education but if it doesn't make sense just quote where it doesn't.

Even being funded by the government isn't "free" since it's funded by taxpayers dollars. What's free for you is being paid for by someone else.

Years
We have the Right to Education Act in our country which allows free education in government run schools for children upto 14 years of age. Public schools in urban areas are run by the city governments, and by the state government in rural areas. In our city alone there are about 80 public schools and a hundred private schools. Public schools are good for someone who cannot afford to pay a lot for educations (and they give free meals too!) but the quality of education is very low. The infrastrufcture is not very good either. I'd rather pay to be in a better school.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
All education through high school shouldn't require fees. It should be taxpayer-funded. The government couldn't afford it without taxes. However, they do need to reevaluate what they're teaching, as many of the things "learned" in schools nowadays are regurgitated for a test and then forgotten. Not a valuable skill like they make people think it is.

College on the other hand should require tuition, since it is optional.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Mar 3, 2014
College on the other hand should require tuition, since it is optional.

I agree, but I wish I could go to a good university without 90% of my tuition going toward 'free' t-shirts, 'free' counseling, 'free' legal services, 'free' food, 'free' rec center, 'free' zumba classes, 'free' club funding, free free free....

I just want to go to class and get out. I hate how it's all one big country club.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 6, 2014
Over here it costs... 3000/4= 750$ for a year.

I don't believe that there is a school [with proper teachers] that is free...

Years
For Canada, the compulsory age for schooling is 16, except for Ontario, New Brunswick and Manitoba where the age is 18 and to my understanding having lived only in Ontario, everything has been free except for the occasional fees here and there. It's until post-secondary in university and college are there tuition and administration fees. As much as I would love to say that education should be free, that's not possible considering the Canadian national government is heavily in debt as are the United States and possibly other countries. I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there simply is not enough money to spread around to provide those unfortunate individuals the schooling they need for a brighter future. The only place I can see a slight change is reorganizing the way taxpayers' money is distributed by the government, but what they think is important may be different from ours.

Years
Well the education system is actually one of the rarest systems that works here in Slovenia. People can choose weather they want to send their kids to the kinder garden or not - and it's free in most cases- unless you want to send your kid to private kindergarden - than you have to pay.
Primary school is free and same goes for high school - than you have universities and faculties - you can choose weather you want to go to free one or to paid one - but if you want to get a job later on you will sadly have to go to paid one - because most free ones will not provide you the job in this kinda situation - however - you can go to free one first - than work for about a year or two - than go to paid one and still get a job - it takes longer but it's still good.

If you ask me education should always be free everywhere since it's something you cannot survive without.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 10, 2015
Most developed countries have heavily state funded university education (not necessarily free, but over half of it subsidised). USA is an outlier amongst developed countries.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
Years
Danish education is free. Kindergarten is free, middle school is free, high school is free, universities are free, job training courses and further development of your education later in life are free.

This is how stuff works: Everyone pays a load of taxes.

Everything in school is free. From free books to free classes to food (most schools, however, don't serve food regularly). Everything that is not free but related to education is eligible for a state sponsorship if your parents' income is lower than the average.

Once you turn 18, the state pays you money for taking an education! Yes you read that right. The government pays you an amount of money that is sufficient for renting a shared apartment in the most expensive cities in Denmark: The university cities. This ensures that the students have nothing to worry about but their studies!
I personally find it weird to read stories about American families that start saving up money for education when their child is born. The danish people don't have to worry about paying for education at all, and I think this is a huge contributor to Denmark being the happiest people - in the world. :)

Sir Codin

I'm always happy whenever I pay for my own education. Makes me feel like I'm not a thief.

Back