The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:28 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I've given tips of 1000 to everyone since the start of the game, in the hopes that something will happen... nothing has yet, and I'm not sure anything will. Still, it feels nice to help virtual people in a virtual world. Or something.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:29 AM
MiniMinum
Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!

Nature: Calm
Perdition, that's rough. My condolences...

Anyway, I usually tip (although not very much) just because I like being a good guy in games. In single player RPGs I don't even steal from NPCs cause it makes me feel guilty...

"Hope is like a piece of string when you're drowning. It just isn't enough to get you out by itself." -Perrin Aybara
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:10 AM
MIAU
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I've also started giving tips now. I don't know if the rumors about it lowering the changes for shiny Pokemon are true, but oh well, now that I'm sitting on 500k pokedollars, it's better to be safe than sorry, right? I tip every time, usually the max amount, and I've tipped 10k after getting a perfect score at the restaurant.

Oh, but hearing Unwavering Emotions in the house in Coumarine City brought back memories, I would've payed out whatever amount to listen ♥
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Decimosoma
Free to dream, free to smile

I brought every possible costume for the male character so I can start giving some tips as well. If it's just a rumor i'll flip some tables.
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:10 AM
Saronai

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Saronai
Somewhere on the internet I found what looked like an official strategy guide page regarding your in-game "style" and what it unlocks for you (including eventual entrance to the high-end clothing store in Lumiose city near the beginning of the "unlocked" scale with some end-game item dropping from 1 million P to only 10k with max style.

Tipping wasn't on this scale, but through looking around the net at everyone's feedback for unlocking features, I am relatively certain that the function of different tip amounts is based entirely on this invisible "style" stat for your character.

In short, I don't believe tipping has anything to do with shiny encounters or other such things. Instead, I think I higher tip just yields more style points than a lower one (while not doing the tipped task at all yields 0 style increase).

Thought I'd share since no one seems to be putting this out there as an obvious (at least, once I looked at what people were unlocking and the differences, it seemed obvious to me) effect from high tipping.

I was one of those that got into the Lumiose style-locked clothing store early (before I even unlocked anything but the Furfrou stylers and one-star restaurant tasks). I'm pretty sure this is because, being raised by a waitress, I can't bring myself to be anything but generous with fake money given to pretend people (I always tipped 1000 in all the little things I did and hadn't even unlocked the camera yet to tip that guy).

It makes sense to me. Leaving people a generous tip is classy. Why wouldn't it add to your style as a result?

I apologize if this has already been determined elsewhere, there's so much theorizing and false leads out there, I may not have looked long enough to avoid being captain obvious
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:14 AM
jazneo

i would think tip would unlock somthing why would they add tipping
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM
Para-Dox

My habit of always tipping 1K pokédollars all the time seems to have paid off then. The endgame item for me is only about 100K for me, but I never knew tipping would have a effect on anything other than a personal display of affection.
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Saronai

Send a message via Skype™ to Saronai
Jazneo, I think there was some miscommunication in my original post. I never said tipping wouldn't unlock anything, in fact, I said the reverse. Specifically, I said I don't think it has any baring on getting a shiny, but that it DOES effect the invisible "style" stat. According to the page I found from a guide online, the higher your style meter is, the more things you unlock in the game. This list had the clothing shop at Lumiose low on the style meter list (about 3rd unlocked). I remember unlocking interactions with some special PCs also has to do with how much style you have when you pass by that area of the game.

I also remember, at the top of the meter was being able to purchase an end-game item for only 10k where as those with minimal style must pay 1 million for it.

My theory then, is the more you tip, the more style points you're awarded for the action upon completion. The more style points you earn, the more quickly you unlock things based on style.

In short, I'm saying high tips probably pay off by increasing your style points more than a lower tip would for the same interaction (unlocking things a bit earlier than you would have otherwise).

TLDR: Bigger tip = More style points to unlock multiple things in game.
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:51 PM
Jimmyray
Oldie

What exactly is an endgame item? Does this have anything to do with the fact I was supposed to find a Bannettite in the Chamber of Emptiness but instead found a Spooky Plate?
Platinum: 1290 5591 8589
White: 1119 9903 5644
White 2: 0477 0343 3480
3DS: 0104 0289 0550
Old October 21st, 2013, 02:21 PM
JP
wut?
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyray View Post
What exactly is an endgame item? Does this have anything to do with the fact I was supposed to find a Bannettite in the Chamber of Emptiness but instead found a Spooky Plate?
No no. Everyone finds both the Bannettite and Spooky Plate. You can only find the megastone between the hours of 8-9pm and as long as you upgraded your mega-ring .
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:40 PM
xRekke
Shiny Hunter

Tipping decreases price ?

I seldom tip but the end game items are still ard 100k for me ~

P.S : I wore full clothing all for Lumoise boutique

Shiny Hunter at your Service!
THE HUNT IS ON!

Add me up! 3ds friend code: 4270-0863-3280

Friend Safari : FIGHTING
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:16 PM
Pikachuu

I heard somewhere that tipping a lot could increase your chance of finding a shiny. But maybe that was just a rumor?
Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:08 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Tipping doesn't increase your style and style only effects things in Lumoise. To increase style you have to do things in Lumoise City. I've tipped 1k over 100 times and prices never dropped in Lumoise or any other store. The Lumoise price drop didn't happen until I started doing random things in Lumoise City, like working at the Hotel the Riches own and getting my Furfrou trimmed.

Other than that my boutiques across the region and Pokemon Centers all stay roughly the same and have not unlocked anything.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
§1
Rocket grunt

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Tipping doesn't increase your style and style only effects things in Lumoise.
what about that underground gang? (i forgot what route they're on)
they won't let me see their boss because of my lack of style.

3DS FC: 5472-7477-3741
B2 FC: 1464 9330 9652
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by §1 View Post
what about that underground gang? (i forgot what route they're on)
they won't let me see their boss because of my lack of style.
You need to find 2 Skate moves to pass them...it had nothing to do with style and no matter what you try to build up they won't let you pass until you have learned those two skate moves. You get the final skate move when you pass them. They are also in the Lost Hotel on Route 15 I think.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:44 AM
KostK2Boss
Wonder Trade Addict

I really don't think tipping has anything to do with shinies. The whole theory reminds me of the "do this 1000 times and you get a Pikablu" theories back in the RBY days. Also, there are much better ways to get style points (Restaurants, Battle Institute, working at the Hotel, talking to Alexia) that don't cost a fortune.

3DS Friend Code: 3024-6078-0809 (Pokemon Y) pm me so I can add you too!
Friend Safari Type: GRASS
Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:01 AM
Sebastian_Sommer
Rocket grunt

Nature: Relaxed
I had given $1000 tips to every character that asked for it since I got way too much money thanks to amulet coin, all except for the ghost story teller since his story sounded very hollow and cheap.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links