• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
YEAH THAT. Honestly I don't want Fennekin to look like that but now I'm thinking about it more it's one of the routes they unfortunately could take and people complained about Zekrom/Reshiram looking like Yu-Gi-Oh creatures OH NO. :(

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Heh, the new batch is at least better than 3rd gen, usually you ask a 3rd gen fan what are their favorite Pokémon and they all say "I liek Mudkipz" and "Sceptile Flygon Salamence Metagross OMGZ!!!11" because that's pretty much all of the good looking Pokémon in 3rd gen. Whereas 5th gen, with the natural exception of Garbodor, had tons of great and actually usable Pokémon.

I think 5th gen's biggest disappointment were the starters, they weren't very powerful or unique like for example 4th gen which IMO had the best starters.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I'm opposed to having more priorty moves, I like them being unique and wouldn't like more Pokemon being able to use them.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2013
Design-wise they may suck buuut as long as they are good competitive-wise, then I'm p sure I'll be pleased with them. :3 For example, I dislike Skuntank in general but in NU I embrace it.

I agree.

In fact most pokes i dont even care about thier looks or how they go in competitive because i would use them regardless in the story mode, kinda like beedrill in rgb except it looks awesome, but i use it regardless, i dont know why but some pokes are hard not to love, like audino! It gives alot of experience and wilst you are whailing on it it will heal you:)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I agree.

In fact most pokes i dont even care about thier looks or how they go in competitive because i would use them regardless in the story mode, kinda like beedrill in rgb except it looks awesome, but i use it regardless, i dont know why but some pokes are hard not to love, like audino! It gives alot of experience and wilst you are whailing on it it will heal you:)

ya Audino is awesome, totally need moar Audino in gen 6.

I'm opposed to having more priorty moves, I like them being unique and wouldn't like more Pokemon being able to use them.

But rock ones could be very useful :3 and could defs help out the really slow ones like Golemmm.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Design-wise they may suck buuut as long as they are good competitive-wise, then I'm p sure I'll be pleased with them. :3 For example, I dislike Skuntank in general but in NU I embrace it.

Sorry to sound contentious but doesn't the fact Skuntank is NU mean it sucks competitive-wise as opposed to being good? I mean, it might be good in NU but being good in NU doesn't say a lot about that Pokémon's power. NU is a rejects tier.

The lower tiers are a reality but, when the chips are down (e.g. in tournaments), no use will use Pokémon below BL. Lower tiers are just fun-tiers.

(and yes I hate tiers)

Which is why I hope Gamefreak revolutionizes the battle system in 6th gen. I mean, we're using the current system since 3rd gen, with only one major modification (the Physical/Special move split). They need to do something to make rejected Pokémon more viable. No, I don't want Butterfree to be stronger than Dragonite, it wouldn't make sense since Caterpie is a common bug whereas Dratini is a rare mythical Pokémon. But I want Butterfree to at least stand a chance of winning.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Sorry to sound contentious but doesn't the fact Skuntank is NU mean it sucks competitive-wise as opposed to being good? I mean, it might be good in NU but being good in NU doesn't say a lot about that Pokémon's power.

The lower tiers are a reality but, when the chips are down (e.g. in tournaments), no use will use Pokémon below BL. Lower tiers are just fun-tiers.

(and yes I hate tiers)

Nah there's lots of Pokemon in lower tiers that are very viable in OU, for example Sawsbuck and Amoonguss, it's just that they're outclassed by other things most of the time, or don't get enough usage to be in the higher tiers. It's not that they suck it's just that they aren't used enough in the higher tiers really. Because as I mentioned, Sawsbuck can be an amazing OU sun sweeper and OHKO a lot of mons, etc.

Also I hope NU gets a lot of positive changes and things that can help out the current psychic domination in gen 6. :3

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Nah there's lots of Pokemon in lower tiers that are very viable in OU, for example Sawsbuck and Amoonguss, it's just that they're outclassed by other things most of the time, or don't get enough usage to be in the higher tiers. It's not that they suck it's just that they aren't used enough in the higher tiers really. Because as I mentioned, Sawsbuck can be an amazing OU sun sweeper and OHKO a lot of mons, etc.

Also I hope NU gets a lot of positive changes and things that can help out the current psychic domination in gen 6. :3

But the thing is, they aren't used because they're outclassed, or they're hard to use. And also because most players prefer the smooth sailing provided by having a Garchomp, Terrakion or Reuniclus in their teams.

What I really wish is that NU becomes a place for Pokémon which aren't supposed to battle, like Unown and similar things. It's really difficult to balance 300+ evolved Pokémon plus Eviolite-NFE, though.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
But the thing is, they aren't used because they're outclassed, or they're hard to use. And also because most players prefer the smooth sailing provided by having a Garchomp, Terrakion or Reuniclus in their teams.

What I really wish is that NU becomes a place for Pokémon which aren't supposed to battle, like Unown and similar things. It's really difficult to balance 300+ evolved Pokémon plus Eviolite-NFE, though.

Actually in my experience in battling competitions, I'd say more than half of the top players used Amoonguss.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Still doesn't mean they're bad though, really. ;( Some good mons are just used less, that's all.

And I would not want that for gen 6 at all. NU is a great metagame, and the things that shouldn't battle are really PU/NFE etc. NU in gen 6 is something I reallyyyy want. :3

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Who knows? Some Pokémon might get a huge turnaround like Politoed did. It was never used in Gen IV and now it's one of the most common Pokémon in OU. All it really takes is one major addition and it can change everything. An NU Pokémon like Vanilluxe would definitely move up a couple of tiers if it got another ability like Snow Warning.

blue

gucci
Years
Cloyster became a real competitor once it gained Shell Smash too, I can see something similar happening to Pokemon that are currently in the NU tier.

blue

gucci
Years
I'd like Beedrill to get a boost too, a BST of 385 is pretty poor given that it's at the final evolution. If it were to gain Speed Boost I think Butterfree would have to get an equally enhancing ability, same goes for Dustox & Beautifly.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The only way to save NU Pokemon from being NU is a base stat revamp, which is a possibility given that each even-numbered gen changes something from the game mechanic. Gen II had the special stat split, and Gen IV had the physical/special move split.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back