• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Frequently Asked Questions & Simple Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Oh, hello there fellow Pokémon Anime fans. You're probably in this thread, because you have some questions you would like to ask. Or perhaps, you see a question here that needs answering, and you may be just the person to help. For whatever reason it may be, welcome to the FAQ and Simple Help thread. What will you find here? Well, that's simple. Within the first post, there will be various answered questions that are brought up from time to time that you may have on your mind. This would be the the FAQ part of this thread. For questions not answered in the FAQ, you may ask it here. While this may not be the most active sticky, it is here to help clear the clutter of those once in a while one answer says it all threads. What kind of questions can be asked?
- Obvious, but questions about the Pokémon Anime (i.e. episode titles, air dates, characters, etc) - You're also welcome to ask questions about this section and even suggest ideas you may have. - Questions that are not permitted here are "Where can I watch episode ___?" And for those who do ask, a given answer with a link to an illegal site that contains Pokémon episodes will lead to a given infraction for Illegal Content.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Pokémon Anime? Pokémon (Pocket Monsters) is a series of video games originally thought up by Satoshi Tajiri based around the adventures of a boy or girl (The playable characters) who set out to try and become a Pokémon Champion. The Pokémon animé is a television series based off of these games in order to promote them further. The animé series follows the adventures of a boy named Ash Ketchum (Satoshi) from Pallet Town (Masara Town) with his trusted companion Pokémon, Pikachu as he tries to achieve his dream of becoming a Pokémon Master. Why doesn't the animé follow the story of Pokémon Special? The animé was created before Pokémon Special and as a result doesn't follow this manga's story. How old is Ash? Is he still 10-years-old? Or is he 11? Ash is a ten-year-old boy. This was re-confirmed by the narrator at the beginning of the Japanese debut of the series Pokémon Best Wishes. What is the "official" gender of Ash's Pikachu? Ash's Pikachu is 100% male. Will Ash ever become a Pokémon Master? Will he age? Will he ever be replaced? According to Masamitsu Hidaka, the former Director of the animé and a current storyboard artist, if Ash does become a Pokémon Master it would signify the end of the show. It was also stated that he wouldn't be replaced nor would he ever age. How old are the other main characters? Are any of them older than Ash? The only main character confirmed to be older than Ash is Brock (Takeshi) who is 15-years-old. Misty (Kasumi), May (Haruka), Dawn (Hikari) are also 10-years-old. Tracey Sketchit (Kenji) doesn't have a revealed age and Max (Masato) is 7-years-old. The age of Iris and Dento are currently unknown. What is a "Pokémon Master"? The term has never been explained in the animé at any point. When will the animé end? It is unknown when the animé will end. Most fans believe it will be when the games it is based off of stop being made. Will Misty ever return as a main character? According to Masamitsu Hidaka, she will not return as a main character. Who is Ash's father? What about Dawn's? Ash's father is a Pokémon Trainer traveling on his own who may or may not appear later on in the series. It is unknown who Dawn's father is. Why can Pikachu's electric attacks harm Pokémon that are immune to them? Pikachu's first win against a Pokémon that was immune to its electrical moves was Brock's Onix. While it may have looked as though Pikachu's electric-type moves affected Onix, in perspective it was Pikachu's attack that set off the sprinkler system which caused Onix to be drenched in water. Another famous victory that Pikachu gained was its battle against Rhydon, which rose the well-known quote, "Pikachu, the horn!" As Rhydon's weakness is its horn - a certain type of metal. In other cases, Ash's Pikachu is considered to "far exceed its evolutionary level," or so it was said by Meowth, which leads to the case that this Pikachu in particular is relatively "a special case." Why did the voices change? In 2006, 4Kids Entertainment lost the rights to the animé and the dubbing had to be handled by Pokémon of America (Now The Pokémon Company International). The voice actors were changed because they couldn't work on the new dub due to alleged contract reasons. Does the animé use numeric levels? No, the animé doesn't use numeric levels. The idea was brought up during the 9th episode of the Original Series "The School of Hard Knocks" (Pokémon Victory Manual) while the animé was originally made only to be up to the end of Kanto. Why don't characters catch Legendary Pokémon? Takuto did. In the anime, it is said that the capture of a Legendary Pokémon may lead to great catastrophe. This has been shown in the case of Lawrence III in Pokémon 2000 trying to capture the three Legendary Birds (Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres). At the same time, it has been shown that a capture of a Legendary Pokémon may not cause any harm; an example being, Brandon, who owns the three Regis. In the case of the main characters, it is said that if Ash obtains a Legendary he will be too powerful or he may focus so much on the Legendary Pokémon, that there will be less focus on his other five. While there is no exact answer for why the main characters don't catch any Legendaries, there are a various amount of reasons why they shouldn't or may not ever. What do you mean by "Original Series"? Are there any more series? "Original Series" is simply a term used to describe the time when Ash was traveling through Kanto, the Orange Archipelago, and Johto. Episodes within this series are labeled as "EP###" most of the time. The "Advanced Generation" is a term used to describe Ash's adventures though Hoenn and Kanto, while he was challenging the Battle Frontier, and the episodes are usually labeled as "AG###". The "Diamond and Pearl" series is a term for Ash's adventures in Sinnoh. The episodes in this series are labeled as "DP###". "Best Wishes" is a term for Ash's adventures through Isshu and the episodes are labeled as "BW###".

The Different Series FAQ

Original Series
What was the first episode aired in Japan and America? When did they air? The first episode aired in Japan was EP001 "Pokémon - I Choose You!", which aired on April 1, 1997. The first episode aired in America was EP015 "Battle Aboard the St. Anne" (Battle of the St. Anne!) on September 7th, 1998. How long was the Kanto saga, the Orange Archipelago saga, and the Johto saga? The Kanto saga took place between EP001 "Pokémon - I Choose You!" and EP081 "Pallet Party Panic" (Masara Town! Setting Off on a New Journey!). The Orange Archipelago took place between EP082 "A Scare in the Air!" (Blimp Accident?!) and EP116 "The Rivalry Revival" (Rival Showdown! Satoshi VS Shigeru!). Shigeru is Gary for those who were wondering. The Johto saga took place between EP117 "Don't Touch That 'Dile" (Wakaba Town! Where Winds of a New Beginning Blow!) and EP274 "Hoenn Alone!" (Parting With Pikachu…!). Wakaba Town is New Bark Town. What's so important about Ho-Oh? There is no significant meaning behind Ho-Oh. It is mainly a plot device to show that Ash is special. Some believe it is used to symbolize the start of a new adventure; seen when Ash started his journey, and again when he left to Hoenn with Pikachu alone. What happened to the GS Ball? The GS Ball was a device to have Ash go to Johto in the first place. The writers originally intended for Celebi to be in the GS Ball but dropped that idea and instead put Celebi as the star of the fourth movie.
Advanced Generation
How long was the Hoenn saga? What about the Kanto Battle Frontier? The Hoenn saga was between EP275/AG001 "Get the Show on the Road!" (A New Land! A New Adventure!!) and EP419/AG145 "Pasta La Vista" (Fighting Dojo! Satoshi VS Haruka!). The Kanto Battle Frontier began with EP420/AG146 "Fear Factor Phony" (Esper VS Ghost!! Midnight Duel!?) and concluded with EP466/AG192 "Home Is Where the Start is" (End of a Journey, and Then the Start of a Journey!). Esper is the Japanese term for Psychic-type Pokémon and Ghost is Haunter's Japanese name.
Diamond and Pearl
How long was the Sinnoh saga? The Sinnoh saga began with EP467/DP001 "Following A Maiden's Voyage!" (Setting Off! From Futaba Town to Masago Town!!) and concluded with EP657/DP191 "Memories are Pearls! Friendship is a Diamond!". Futaba Town is Twinleaf Town and Masago Town is Sandgem town. Was there an arc between Diamond and Pearl and Best Wishes? No, the Diamond and Pearl series lasted four years since it first aired and was followed right after by Best Wishes. This is about the same time it took the Advanced Generation and Battle Frontier arc to finish.
Best Wishes / Black and White
How long is the Best Wishes series? Has it aired in English yet? Best Wishes aired on September 23, 2010 in Japan. The saga begins with BW001 "To The Isshu Region! Zekrom's Shadow!!" but has yet to end. The air date for its English premier was February 12, 2011 as a one hour special. What happened to Brock? Brock is no longer a main character in Best Wishes. After the Diamond and Pearl Saga, Brock decided to head back to Pewter and work on becoming a Pokémon Doctor.
[Written and compiled by Hiiro]

Last edited:

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
Years
Looking for a Pokémon Song!!! HELP!

It seems to be very easy to find many of the orchestrated music from Pokémon these days due to many CD releases, but this one is hard to find!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQt1J8YMBHc&p=263BB10C579F3251&playnext=1&index=3

The song starts at 2:26 and I absolutely love it! It's usually when something crazy happens, or someone evolves, or is about to beat somebody, etc. It's really epic. lol

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!! A simple YouTube link would be great, or somewhere I could buy it would be great too!!!

If you know of a place where I could get more music from the Kanto/Johto seasons that would be excellent! There are many songs from the shows that I have yet to find!

Guy

just a guy
Years
Hmm, I would probably suggest trying to find the Original Soundtrack first. This you can find through Wikipedia or if you're interested in purchasing it, then perhaps you can give Amazon a try.

Shooting a suggestion on who better to ask, but Jorah is like my Pokémon Anime Sountrack Guide; or in acronyms, PASG. :]

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
Years
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help for sure! I don't believe that it's on the original soundtrack and it's on the new soundtrack that was released in September (the best of 10 years one). This may be tricky! Oh well!

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
Years
It's not on that one either.

You should try to watch that episode in Japanese and see if the song is there in that version.

smilewolfy

pokemon photographer
Years
I have a question, in the original opening of the anime, in season one, when pikachu is running past people, who is the girl in the um, i think orange shirt or something, not sure bout that, did she even appear in the anime, coz i saw every episode i'm pretty sure, and also in pokemon chronicals when richy meets silver [the old guy with chikorita], he talks about ash and silver's reaction seems like he knows ash, but i don't remember an episode or movie with him meeting ash, and i googled it but i couldn't find a character description of that guy, if he didn't meet ash, i don't know if this bit is allowed, i'm pretty sure but still, i think he could be ash's father, even though that was answered, anyway hope my questions can be answered easily, thankyou

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
I have a question, in the original opening of the anime, in season one, when pikachu is running past people, who is the girl in the um, i think orange shirt or something, not sure bout that, did she even appear in the anime, coz i saw every episode i'm pretty sure, and also in pokemon chronicals when richy meets silver [the old guy with chikorita], he talks about ash and silver's reaction seems like he knows ash, but i don't remember an episode or movie with him meeting ash, and i googled it but i couldn't find a character description of that guy, if he didn't meet ash, i don't know if this bit is allowed, i'm pretty sure but still, i think he could be ash's father, even though that was answered, anyway hope my questions can be answered easily, thankyou

To your first question, no she never appaeared in the anime. She was just a random girl to fit the Japanese lyrics of the original theme song which includes trying to find Pokemon under the skirts of girls -_-

I can't answer your second question since I wan't much of a fan of Pokemon Chronicles, but I'll do some research once I'm out of my school filtering system >__>

Years
Just something I've wondered/noticed. Why aren't there any referees in any of the Kanto gyms. Lt. Surge has a voice-over for a referee offscreen but other than that, none of the Kanto gyms seems to have a referee like future gyms.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
They just never introduced them in Kanto...

As far as I know they were an advanced generation / late Johto thing to make it all seem more "proper" and "officiated"

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
Just something I've wondered/noticed. Why aren't there any referees in any of the Kanto gyms. Lt. Surge has a voice-over for a referee offscreen but other than that, none of the Kanto gyms seems to have a referee like future gyms.
The gym leaders themselves decided the judging of a battle then. They do seem to be qualified enough to do that.

Years
Pokemon chronicles

I recently aquried this pokemon chronicles series. The first 3 episodes was about jimmy which looks like the dude from Gold an Silver. I kept watching for a few more episodes to hopefully see more cool trainers and all i see is like brock or misty. Was curious if it shows any uncommon trainers again? Is this series worth finishing if im looking for non average trainers?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
There's actually more in Pokemon Chronicles than just Brock and Misty. Gary, Tracey, Ritchie (Ash's Indigo league rival), Sakura and Casey (Johto characters of the day) also make appearances if I remember correctly.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
Is this series worth finishing if im looking for non average trainers?

I find Pokemon Chronicles quite interesting, and since there are just 23 (?) episodes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to watch the entire series.

Years
ok cool after the few episodes I was beginning to think that there wasnt any non mains other than jimmy in which is way cooler than ash imo lol

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
It's checks. It has been stated in Pokedex entries that it produces electricity from the sacs on its cheeks. I believe it said this when Ash encountered Pikachu for the first time and used his Dex to analyze Pikachu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back