• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Leafeon should have this:

-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Substitute/Roar
-X-Scissor/Return/Iron Tail

Yes Umbreon would work, since it fits it. And here what it should have:

-Curse
-Wish
-Payback/Foul Play
-Roar/Toxic

And like I said, give it to the ones that fit it. Wait, don't give Vaporeon Curse, since it'll slow it down, Umbreon's the best idea for that.

I see, thanks. Should Umbreon have a Protect as well, so that when I use wish, use immediately Protect, which will make it evade attacks that can kill it, while Wish will still raise it's HP?
Also what do you mean by slowing down Umbreon is it's best idea? I've played with Eevee evolutions in 3rd Gen only, so I'm kind of a noob haha.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
I see, thanks. Should Umbreon have a Protect as well, so that when I use wish, use immediately Protect, which will make it evade attacks that can kill it, while Wish will still raise it's HP?
Also what do you mean by slowing down Umbreon is it's best idea? I've played with Eevee evolutions in 3rd Gen only, so I'm kind of a noob haha.

Well Umbreon can survive anyway, and Curse should help it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Oh and apparently, Umbreon doesn't learn Roar, at least that's what Serebii says :S... I'll go with Toxic, then :)
Leafeon learns it instead, do you think I should teach it to him? It will help him, considering it's lost Sp Def.

Volcanix769

Years
Oh and apparently, Umbreon doesn't learn Roar, at least that's what Serebii says :S... I'll go with Toxic, then :)
Leafeon learns it instead, do you think I should teach it to him? It will help him, considering it's lost Sp Def.

That could work. It's at least a try.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Oh okay thanks.
So one more thing, I need a moveset for my soon-to-be Espeon. Do you think I can use this:
Timid nature, with Light Clay
-Reflect
-Signal Beam
-Psychic
-Wish
I know many people use Baton Pass instead of Wish in this cases, but IDK, I just want to change a bit, plus Espeon is fast, so Wish might be a bit better for it...
Thanks again.

Volcanix769

Years
Oh okay thanks.
So one more thing, I need a moveset for my soon-to-be Espeon. Do you think I can use this:
-Reflect
-Signal Beam
-Psychic
-Wish
I know many people use Baton Pass instead of Wish in this cases, but IDK, I just want to change a bit, plus Espeon is fast, so Wish might be a bit better for it...
Thanks again.

That's a good moveset. Espeon needs to maintain its team in order to survive, so that could work. I mean, that is a tactical strategy.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Which Pokemon over which?

HI everyone!
I'm trying to build my competitive teams and there are some Pokemon that I just can't decide if I should choose this or the other... Here's my biggest dilemmas:

-Mamoswine or Abomasnow?
-Milotic or Warlein?
-Spiritomb or Cofagrigus? (I really like Spiritomb, but from my online research some people prefer Cofagrigus..)

These are my main 3 questionmarks in my mind, I will update if I find any, however, can you help me with the movesets? I already know the EV spreads.
about Milotic and Warlein, my Spheal knows Curse, Water Pulse, Yawn and Aqua Ring already as egg moves, while I have caught a wild Feebas and am now breeding it to get the desired nature and IVs.
What the other babies know:
Swinub:Icicle Crash, Icicle Spear, Stealth Rock, Double Edge.
Snover: Avalanche, Leech Seed, Seed Bomb, Blizzard
Spiritomb: Confuse Ray, Spite, Shadow Sneak, Pain Split
All of the Pokemon mentioned above are Lv.1. I haven't caught a Cofagrigus yet.
Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Oh okay thanks.
-Reflect
-Signal Beam
-Psychic
-Wish
Thanks again.

Espeon is meant to be a support 'mon. If you're using Reflect, you should be using Light Screen too. This is called "dual screening," which involves getting both Reflect and Light Screen up to give frail attackers a chance of surviving on the battlefield. Due to the new Wish mechanics, Espeon can't utilize it too well (Wish now restores half the user's max HP to the recipient. Say Espeon uses Wish and switches to something like Magnezone. Magnezone then gains HP equal to Espeon's max HP):
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Baton Pass
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If you're building a Hail team, Abomasnow is definitely a staple, as it sets up the required weather.

Walrein is an annoying Pokémon to face off against in Hail, so you can use it.

And it might be a better idea to use Cofagrigus, as it's bulkier and can do more than Spiritomb can.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
I am setting up about 5 different teams, so I don't mind using one or another. And I'm not using mono type teams, I don't like that, it's going to be a mixed team, all 5 of them.
What would be a good moveset for Walrein, preferably keeping Curse, as I really like it?
Also, no Mamoswine? It's attack is scary!!

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Espeon is meant to be a support 'mon. If you're using Reflect, you should be using Light Screen too. This is called "dual screening," which involves getting both Reflect and Light Screen up to give frail attackers a chance of surviving on the battlefield. Due to the new Wish mechanics, Espeon can't utilize it too well (Wish now restores half the user's max HP to the recipient. Say Espeon uses Wish and switches to something like Magnezone. Magnezone then gains HP equal to Espeon's max HP):
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Baton Pass
Item: Light Clay

I was waiting for someone to say that about Espeon. The only thing why I choosed that moveset is because Espeon has a fantastic Special Attack and Speed, and it seems a waste of them to me, using the protect screens from Espeon and then switching it out... I removed Light Screen and kept it with Reflect because it's Defense is not as good as it's special defense, that's why Reflect could help Espeon... On a more offensive profile, what would you suggest?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I am setting up about 5 different teams, so I don't mind using one or another. And I'm not using mono type teams, I don't like that, it's going to be a mixed team, all 5 of them.
What would be a good moveset for Walrein, preferably keeping Curse, as I really like it?
Also, no Mamoswine? It's attack is scary!!

You could use Mamoswine to set up Stealth Rock, or have a strong attacker on the physical end alongside Abomasnow. But to be aware, Snow Cloak is now banned alongside Hail:
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard
-Endeavor
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat

or
-Earthquake
-Icicle Crash
-Ice Shard
-Stone Edge
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band

or
-Earthquake
-Icicle Spear/Icicle Crash
-Stone Edge
-Superpower
Item: Choice Scarf

As tempting as Curse is, Walrein can't use it too well because its bad defensive typing lets it down. It's a freakin' stall machine in Hail, courtesy of Ice Body and the right moves. It should always be used with Abomasnow:
-Substitute
-Protect
-Roar/Toxic
-Blizzard/Surf
Nature: Bold
EVs: 232 HP/108 Def/148 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body

Edit: here's a more offensive, yet still supportive, take on Espeon. Even with its decent Special Defense, Espeon still has a hard time taking special hits thanks to its low HP:
-Calm Mind
-Stored Power
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
-Baton Pass

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
You could use Mamoswine to set up Stealth Rock, or have a strong attacker on the physical end alongside Abomasnow. But to be aware, Snow Cloak is now banned alongside Hail:
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard
-Endeavor
Nature: Adamant

or
-Earthquake
-Icicle Crash
-Ice Shard
-Stone Edge
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band

or
-Earthquake
-Icicle Spear/Icicle Crash
-Stone Edge
-Superpower
Item: Choice Scarf

As tempting as Curse is, Walrein can't use it too well because its bad defensive typing lets it down. It's a freakin' stall machine in Hail, courtesy of Ice Body and the right moves. It should always be used with Abomasnow:
-Substitute
-Protect
-Roar/Toxic
-Blizzard/Surf
Nature: Bold
EVs: 232 HP/108 Def/148 Spe
Ability: Ice Body

Edit: here's a more offensive, yet still supportive, take on Espeon. Even with its decent Special Defense, Espeon still has a hard time taking special hits thanks to its low HP:
-Calm Mind
-Stored Power
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
-Baton Pass

I see, thanks. Those Mamoswine movesets are really good. I'm using White, so I can't get Endeavor at the moment, what is I switch it with Icicle Crash in the first moveset?

Also, snap, my Spheal Has Thick Fat :(... I have already spent days getting it with the right IVs, I just can't switch to another Spheal now... Do i toss it now that it doesn't have Ice Body, or am I still able to use it well? What would you suggest?
And last, about Espeon, I have IV breed it for days to, until I got the Eevee I wanted, but it's Hidden Power is Grass :/... Can I replace Hidden Power Fighting with the move Psychic?
-Calm Mind
-Stored Power
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
-Baton Pass

Edit: Also I have a soon to be Froslass with Snow Cloak, what would be wise to use it with? The battles will be double ones, and I will be playing with Friends through infrared, not over Wi-Fi. Also I'm not making a mono-type team, I will be making about 2-3 mixed teams, but I can use two pokemon of the same type, as you suggested using Walrein with Abomasnow.
Thank you very much!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I see, thanks. Those Mamoswine movesets are really good. I'm using White, so I can't get Endeavor at the moment, what is I switch it with Icicle Crash in the first moveset?

Also, snap, my Spheal Has Thick Fat :(... I have already spent days getting it with the right IVs, I just can't switch to another Spheal now... Do i toss it now that it doesn't have Ice Body, or am I still able to use it well? What would you suggest?
And last, about Espeon, I have IV breed it for days to, until I got the Eevee I wanted, but it's Hidden Power is Grass :/... Can I replace Hidden Power Fighting with the move Psychic?
-Calm Mind
-Stored Power
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
-Baton Pass

Edit: Also I have a soon to be Froslass with Snow Cloak, what would be wise to use it with? The battles will be double ones, and I will be playing with Friends through infrared, not over Wi-Fi. Also I'm not making a mono-type team, I will be making about 2-3 mixed teams, but I can use two pokemon of the same type, as you suggested using Walrein with Abomasnow.
Thank you very much!
All four moves are needed in Mamoswine's first set. You're going to have to do some breeding for Icicle Crash, as it's one of Mamoswine's egg moves.

Ice Body is what makes Walrein so good in Hail, as it provides extra recovery per turn in hail. Don't bother with Thick Fat.

No. Going for both Psychic and Stored Power at once makes Espeon completely walled by Dark Pokémon this way. HP Fighting is the best way for dealing with them; while Spiritomb and Sableye wall it completely, it can always Baton Pass to something else.

Froslass is best off as a suicide lead/speedy supporter. Pokémon that like the passive damage of Spikes are good teammates:
-Spikes
-Taunt
-Ice Beam/Shadow Ball
-Pain Split/Destiny Bond
EVs: 248 HP/8 SDef/252 Spe
Ability: Cursed Body

or
-Spikes
-Taunt
-Destiny Bond
-Ice Beam/Shadow Ball
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Ability: Cursed Body

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Espeon got Signal Beam in BW2 which is an alternative for hitting Dark-types and opposing Psychics, which is great if you're having trouble breeding a specific HP.

(But I'll leave that for PD to recommend~)

Years
I need help deciding between two special walls for my RU team. One has more HP but less Special Defense, while the other has less HP yet more Special Defense and Defense.

154-male-shiny-frame1.png

Meganium @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
-Leech Seed
-Hidden Power {Rock}
-Aromatherapy
-Giga Drain

Meganium has base 80 HP and base 100 defenses, making it appear to be the better choice, however, having Aromatherapy but no Wish makes Meganium's movepool a weaker asset to the team, although Leech Seed assists in teammate recovery and wearing down bulky, non-grass-type opponents. Giga Drain for recovery and Hidden Power {Rock} to assist in my Bug weakness that also affects another teammate.

36-shiny-frame1.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
-Heal Bell
-Wish
-Seismic Toss
-Protect

Clefable has base 95 HP, 90 SpD, yet only 73 Defense, which makes for a better special wall, but for a weaker one overall, which will also guarantee that almost any fighting-type Pokemon can knock her out in one hit. The movepool more than makes up for it, though, as an incoming teammate could be gaining 197-101 HP on the switch in (depending on whether I'm doing level 50 or 100 battling). Protect can scout, and also ensure the healing from Heal Bell, rendering Softboiled a waste of a moveslot which allows for Seismic Toss for a steady 50-100 damage when needed.

Which do you guys think will better fill in the role as both a special wall and supply team support?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I need help deciding between two special walls for my RU team. One has more HP but less Special Defense, while the other has less HP yet more Special Defense and Defense.

154-male-shiny-frame1.png

Meganium @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
-Leech Seed
-Hidden Power {Rock}
-Aromatherapy
-Giga Drain

Meganium has base 80 HP and base 100 defenses, making it appear to be the better choice, however, having Aromatherapy but no Wish makes Meganium's movepool a weaker asset to the team, although Leech Seed assists in teammate recovery and wearing down bulky, non-grass-type opponents. Giga Drain for recovery and Hidden Power {Rock} to assist in my Bug weakness that also affects another teammate.

36-shiny-frame1.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
-Heal Bell
-Wish
-Seismic Toss
-Protect

Clefable has base 95 HP, 90 SpD, yet only 73 Defense, which makes for a better special wall, but for a weaker one overall, which will also guarantee that almost any fighting-type Pokemon can knock her out in one hit. The movepool more than makes up for it, though, as an incoming teammate could be gaining 197-101 HP on the switch in (depending on whether I'm doing level 50 or 100 battling). Protect can scout, and also ensure the healing from Heal Bell, rendering Softboiled a waste of a moveslot which allows for Seismic Toss for a steady 50-100 damage when needed.

Which do you guys think will better fill in the role as both a special wall and supply team support?
Whichever one you choose depends on the team you're using. Personally, I'd use Clefable; Meganium has more common weaknesses (Fire, Flying, Ice, and to a lesser extent, Poison and Bug) to exploit. Hopefully, you should have a Ghost or Psychic Pokémon to cover for Clefable's Fighting weakness.

SuperSnivy

Team Fireblast Member
Years
OK,
I'm building a team, and I've created a concept for a Physical sweeper: Golurk. Here's what I've got:

Golurk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
252 ATK, 252 SPD, 3 HP, 3 SP. DEF (Careful Nature)
-Shadow Punch
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-ThunderPunch

Is this a good setup? Or is there a way to improve it? Please, let me know!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
OK,
I'm building a team, and I've created a concept for a Physical sweeper: Golurk. Here's what I've got:

Golurk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
252 ATK, 252 SPD, 3 HP, 3 SP. DEF (Careful Nature)
-Shadow Punch
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-ThunderPunch

Is this a good setup? Or is there a way to improve it? Please, let me know!

Go for Earthquake, it's secondary STAB ismore useful than ThunderPunch will ever be. Adamant or Jolly would be best off here, given that you're going for Choice Scarf. I tried that once but note that the CB set is much more useful as it doesn't really outspeed that much in NU that is notable that it can't take a hit from with a Choice Band instead.

Last edited:
Back