• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Eternity - Realtime Battles, future MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
Years
This is the coolest idea that I have ever seen. If you need help, I got about three million ideas while I was watching those videos. I can try to help, if you need it.

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
This is the coolest idea that I have ever seen. If you need help, I got about three million ideas while I was watching those videos. I can try to help, if you need it.
Hehe thanks. We have tons of ideas as well, ones we won't get to implement for a while.

Anyways here is another update, Pokemon in-game with their trainers! Pokemon that are out will follow by default. In this video in some cases they seem a little slow in movement, but this is easily correctable. Also speed while following and speed in battle will be different.

We are still looking for help (spriters, mappers, story, music, etc) as only a few people have even asked to help. If you want to participate PM me, other wise post your ideas or questions on this project here. :classic:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
Cool!
I don't like how the maps and such are not tile based.

If they are they don't look like it.

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
Years
that looks amazing! oh, and I had an idea for certain attacks, like bullet seed or barrage... maybe you get like 5 chances to fire, and they go in a straight line(or curved depending on the attack, or possibly even spread out). after all 5 are fired, you have to reload, which would take a moment. o.o

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Cool!
I don't like how the maps and such are not tile based.

If they are they don't look like it.
The ground is tile based, the objects can be tile or pixel based. Tile base really only helps lining up buildings and making some objects symmetrical. Pixel base is better for most objects like trees, grass, bushes, etc as you can place them exactly where you want and not be limited by squares. In other words, tiles are old news. :classic: However the map editor does support tiled objects, it's just not something we want people to go overboard with when pixel objects give much more freedom.

As far as the map goes, this is clearly a test map as most of the tiles and objects don't even match.
that looks amazing! oh, and I had an idea for certain attacks, like bullet seed or barrage... maybe you get like 5 chances to fire, and they go in a straight line(or curved depending on the attack, or possibly even spread out). after all 5 are fired, you have to reload, which would take a moment. o.o
Yeah those multiple hit attacks will have cooldowns, this way they aren't just spamming bullets like machine guns in the Matrix. :rambo:

Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2009
If you have that much python knowledge, enough to make a game from scratch why base it off pokemon, why not make your own game?

I do love how this is looking i'm just curious though.

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Here I am again to revive a dead but awesome Thread!
Hey Spira I hope your still making this game, I'm looking forward to being able to Play as a Blastoise against other fellow pokemon player online, oh and how many servers do you plan on having for this game?

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
Wow! This looks great! I can totally see how real-time Pokémon would work. The demo videos have shown off some really great coding, work and ideas.

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Sorry that I let the thread go unanswered for so long, I'll answer some questions again.
If you have that much python knowledge, enough to make a game from scratch why base it off pokemon, why not make your own game?

I do love how this is looking i'm just curious though.
We are basing it off Pokemon just because we would like to realtime battle with Pokemon. ;) And yes the nice thing about this engine is that it will be adaptable for other games.

Here I am again to revive a dead but awesome Thread!
Hey Spira I hope your still making this game, I'm looking forward to being able to Play as a Blastoise against other fellow pokemon player online, oh and how many servers do you plan on having for this game?
Yes we are still making this. There hasn't been too much going on in the last month mainly because the main coder has had exams and won't be done for maybe another week or so. She has exams every 6 months so she should have plenty of time after this.

Right now the other coder is working on ways to easily create skills and attacks. We also picked up a new member who is working on a lot of things.

He is working on the world map, some story, recreating certain tiles and buildings to be much larger, new music, logo and graphics, and a forum skin. He is doing an amazing job so far on all the things he has made.

I myself have been working on some interface concepts for items, NPC windows, and a Pokemon information screen.

She was working on some minor things like following and item physics before she had to take a break here are a few videos.
Spoiler:

Wow! This looks great! I can totally see how real-time Pokémon would work. The demo videos have shown off some really great coding, work and ideas.
Thanks. =)

fireyboy345

Skilled Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Wow. This is really cool. I really like how you changed the sizes of the trees and other objects to make it look more like a real world. I got to say the maps look very good. Also i glad i have been taking french for the past year (i start french three next week). I can only make out a few words though.

punkforlife93

Mudpimp
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 7, 2011
This is a really cool idea. The way you implemented is way more original than I thought it would be.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
Years
Very, very impressive. I would've killed for a game like this back in middle school. :P

Thanks for the Macintosh love, too. Glad to see we're not forgotten by all you silly PC users!

HeavyOctillery

Locked & Loaded
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2018
This is definitely different. I like how you can actually control your Pokemon around & attack from different ranges.

I'm surprised this isn't in the Showcase Thread, given the obvious progress.

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Wow. This is really cool. I really like how you changed the sizes of the trees and other objects to make it look more like a real world. I got to say the maps look very good. Also i glad i have been taking french for the past year (i start french three next week). I can only make out a few words though.
Yeah, the object transformation capabilities really add some variety. Right now the main thing we need to do is turn current 16x16 autotiles (or I guess autotiles are 48x64 total) to a 32x32 pixel base version without just doubling the size and overpixelate it. If anyone wants to do this, feel free to do so. Would help speed things up for getting the map editor ready.

Ohhh it looks like a really cool game *-*

This is a really cool idea. The way you implemented is way more original than I thought it would be.

This is definitely different. I like how you can actually control your Pokemon around & attack from different ranges.

I'm surprised this isn't in the Showcase Thread, given the obvious progress.
Thanks guys, the realtime battling is definitely one of the focus in our game. It will be in the showcase thread sometime soon. I just want to get some more progress going before then.

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 22, 2011
Here I am yet again for all the pokemon updates
so what's the new with the game development Spira?

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Here I am yet again for all the pokemon updates
so what's the new with the game development Spira?
Well lots of have changed recently and here's the deal on the development.
1) The main coder has basically focused all her work on finishing the map editor while the work on the client and server has been neglected. Basically we had someone work on the map editor and they used some code that eventually presented some problems; so she has been going through to help clean it up. Also she has been working on: terrain features such as surf coast lines and cliff jump ledges, and auto shadow generation.

2) The graphics artist has had lots of RL things going on so he hasn't been on in a month or so. Not much we can do here but we have lots of his great work already and once things clear up he'll be back.

3) Good news is I have been focusing on the server and client. I myself have decided to learn some programming and code so now I am a developer ^^. I have found a much better way for event handling and have been recoding big portions. Unfortunately there isn't really anything visually substantial to show off just yet. All of the improvements are being done to the code itself to make it faster, more manageable, and robust. In a programming sense this is a really big change and improvement that is very exciting for me. Though from the average persons perspective no big features have really changed visually. However I think everyone can agree doing things properly will make things go much smoother in the long run.

There has been some GUI improvements and I may show those soon. The recoding of the client and server has been an ongoing progress for a few weeks. I am about 90% done with the recoding. Around 8% left for converting existing code and 2% for cleanup. Once that's done we can start adding new things once again. I believe the next few milestones will be: items, trade, attack system, NPC.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask or if you want to help on anything such as GUI layout, story, town names, etc feel free to contact me. Also I usually idle in the TPC IRC so you may find me there if you want to chat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back