• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknamed Pokemon

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
I name all of my Pokemon, actually. I just feel like it makes the game a little more personal, you know?

I actually still remember the nickname I gave my very first Pokemon ever... when I played Pokemon Blue when I was a kid, I named my Charmander Matches. Since then, I always name any Charmander evolution line I get with that nickname, for nostalgia's sake.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I don't nickname my Pokemon. It really ticks me off when I get an event/legendary/etc. Pokemon via trade that's nicknamed and they didn't tell me. I have a Deoxys on White version, but I never use it solely because I really dislike its nickname.

I did nickname my Larvitar, but I seriously nicknamed it "Larvitar" (so it wouldn't say "LARVITAR"). I don't plan on evolving her, considering I only have used her for contests.

Years
Usually I don't nickname pokemon, unless I'm carrying a 4th gen 'mon over to 5th, for consistency's sake. However there are couple I do nickname just because I like them as Pokemon, though I'll name it back if I'm trading.

Mackenzie

Say Somethin'!
Years
As Slenderman already pointed out, the only ever use i had for nicknames was with the advent of gen 5; it made using "STARMIE" obsolete, because an uncapped nickname "Starmie" that would be migrated seemed more fitting for this gen (i believe, it was a very effective solution to address legendaries that would otherwise remain with the horrendous all capped names; barring un-abused gen 4 wifi events).

I do admit I've had fun playing with nicknamed pokemon for the sole purpose of participating in the gen 3 contests, (because all my opponents had them as well anyway :p); and if only gen 2 had a remake on gba, it would seem better to use the in-game traded pokemon as well for those gen 3 contests. But that was it, i didn't transfer those nicknamed pokemon; i didn't find the gen 4 super contests to be as appealing. :/

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I don't mind nicknames as long as it isn't rude or offensive... I bought a used copy of Ruby the other week, all the Pokemon on this players team had really inappropriate nicknames! ;P
I only nickname Pokemon I use in competitive battling. I plan to use a Granbull called 'Canterbury' ...

Years
I don't like nicknames. I don't give nicknames to my Pokemon and if I trade with someone and the Pokemon has a nickname I will breed it and release it lol :)

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Hate nicknames that I don't give them, I always name my Pokemon after cool genie/demon names like: Djinn, Azazel and sometimes after the 7 deadly sins like gluttony is a snorlax and lust is a gardevoir

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
I don't mind nicknames as long as it isn't rude or offensive... I bought a used copy of Ruby the other week, all the Pokemon on this players team had really inappropriate nicknames! ;P

That actually happened to me when I bought a used copy of Ruby as well, weird! I felt bad for them because I'm a nerd, and I actually took them to the Name Rater to change them.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
I don't like nicknames myself the only poke I NN is my starter cause he is always with me and his name is always "Babe" no matter which starter I choose.

Years
MRS. PUFF. HAHAHAHA YES. THAT'S FANTASTIC.

I like it too haha. I often give Spongebob nicknames, i.e. Mr. Krabs for Kingler, Patrick for Staryu, Sandy for Pachirisu, and Pearl for my Wailord XD

I love nicknaming my Pokes! I give them funny or goofy nicknames, and sometimes with references to pop culture, some of my favorite original nicknames are:
Snoop Frog the Politoed
Pearl the Wailord
Off! the Charizard (it's Bug repellant lol)
Doppelle the Misdreavus
and my favorite, Trinidad the Hitmonchan (PM me if you understand this and i'll give you a cookie)

Last edited:
Years
I don't mind the nicknames as long as it fits the pokémon and isn't just a stupid name. Otherwise I barely nickname my pokémon unless I get a boost of imagination (namind bisharp Dark Link and Emboar Ganon :P )

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I always take traded Pokemon to breed, then trade it away to Yancy. Let her deal with them.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I Nickname all the pokemon I breed to keep track of them. The ones I EV train get upgraded nicknames and a Star mark on the PC.

Pig Mama, female Emboar
Hogfather, male Mamoswine

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I try and nickname most of my pokemon; It gives me distinction between other Pokémon because I've put a bit of creativity into them.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I started nicknaming all of my pokemon in White. I started off by naming my starter, Snivy, Liquid. Some of them I've really thought about and some of them I haven't. There are also a few that I've forgotten or can't explain anymore.
Anyways ere are a few, koff~

Victini to Vicky
Liepard to Crulio
Seismitoad to Bose
Swadloon to Leafeater
Solosis to Osbrosis
Klink to Clockwerk
Durant to Pants
The obvious Virizion to Verizon
Swanna to Pekish
Trubbish to Hefty
Drifloon to Baroon
Haxorus to Lahrghwdyz
Scolipede to Wheels
Tranquill to Bobabod
Bulbasaur to R
Called it like it was with Bibarel to Dumbface
Cranidos to Spinal Tap
Bagon to Bagel
Metagross to Metalicka
Lileep to Reaper
Seviper to Naked (not what you think at first)
Sharpedo to Cleaver
Swellow to Sbaro
Stantler to Trstiy
Elekid to Plug me in
Qwilfish to poofish
Magikarp to Sprashattk
Kingler to Imitation
Marowak to Bonedust
Muk to Mercury
Golbat to G1 Sprite
A meowth called Hank
Raichu to Civinity
Wartortle to Wade
And a Heracross called Megalon

This list is short compared to what I've named them all. I'm still working on edging out the trades and making them my own. If you have any questions as to what I've named a certain pokemon, feel free to ask. I'm sure I have a wonderful name stored away, koffi~

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
I always nicknamed my Pokemon. Always. Pokemon to me feel incomplete without a nickname... it's like giving them a nickname gives them a more personal feel.

Although I've gotten slightly better over the years at the actual nicknaming process, haha. I can't say I remember any recent nicknames of mine off the top of my head and unfortunately my DS is not with me, but they're certainly better than my old names such as Charmy the Charmander or Lightning the Raichu... or Authora the Lugia. (When I was about 9 or so, I tried nicknaming my Lugia Aurora, but misspelled it pretty bad.)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Well, I prefer not to get Pokémon with nicknames, because my taste is to change them every five minutes. Perhaps I can be satisfied if it is punny or funny, but mostly I want them to be nicknamed their species name.
I can't remember any of my nicknames because, like I said, I change them every five minutes.

Years
Love nick-naming Pokémon! It makes them feel special to me and, being a role-player, gives me a sense of personality with them. I have the theme of naming my Pokémon after my favorite thing: Food! (And herbs, spices, etc.) Rapidash is Cayenne, Emolga is Sancerre, Haxorus is Avocado and so on. It's been a challenge for me to pick out names, but that's the fun part. I don't name legendaries though.

When it comes to trading however, I don't mind receiving a Pokémon with one as long as they aren't inappropriate or out of place. Like a Charizard named Squirtle. But typically I don't trade for trained Pokémon that I can't nickname or have the original name to.

Back