• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Brown 2009 [Final Dungeon Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
I don't know if anyone has posted this but is there any ANDROID gb/gbc emulator that can play it in color or something because every emulator i tried ( game boy color A.D. ,GBCoid) played the gen1 ( red hacks) with a brownish/sepia color pallet :S

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2014
An interesting find. Umbreon can learn Nothing at around LV 42. It has no PP and is a Normal move.

Also, if you want the Pokedex to show that you own a Pokemon you get in a trade, after trading the Pokemon, use the gameshark code 010067D3 to fly out of link room, then go to a PC and switch boxes to save (since your menu will still say RESET instead of SAVE). Then reset and the Pokedex will keep the record that you own the traded Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2013
I dont know if this is an oversight or not but you can find wild primeapes but no wild mankeys o.0 also really love this game. Probably better than even the original pokemon red game :P

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2023
I'm really liking this hack so far. The region is awesome, and the whole thing is just this odd combination of nostalgic and new.

My only problem is something that's been noted already, white lines going through the sprites. This doesn't happen in VBA, but I don't get that good performance from it. (I use VBA-M for GBA games, but it has terrible GB support.) I've tried KiGB, Gambatte, no$gmb, and bgb(which incidentally works perfectly in wine), and they all have that issue. What could VBA be doing differently...?

But everything's working fine other than that. Great hack! :) I'm glad I checked this out.

I downloaded VBA-M, and i am getting the white lines, no matter how many different red roms i try. Does anyone know how to fix this yet?

garjora

Ambassador of the Cosmos
Years
Hmm strange, no matter what, this game just plain refuses to patch onto a clean Pokemon Red (U) ROM.

After patching I open the game and it's still Pokemon Red and not Pokemon Brown.

Any advice on how to fix or overcome this error?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Hmm strange, no matter what, this game just plain refuses to patch onto a clean Pokemon Red (U) ROM.

After patching I open the game and it's still Pokemon Red and not Pokemon Brown.

Any advice on how to fix or overcome this error?
Did you start playing it and find that, or did you only observe the title screen? I'm sure there are many hacks with the old title screen in the game itself.

Cyclone

cardboardbox

Roaming Johto
Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 25, 2023
Did you start playing it and find that, or did you only observe the title screen? I'm sure there are many hacks with the old title screen in the game itself.

Cyclone

Brown definitely has a new title screen. In fact it has new opening credits replacing Game Freak so you should be able to tell instantly.

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2022
Man, everytime I found rom and patch it. I load the rom and graphic got glitch. *sighs* I keep looking that this thread said and readme. No dice for those rom. oh well. Guess I am struck with it. I do really want play this hack but none of rom I can find. And I am not asking for rom. I just saying inform about rom that wont work that I found everytime.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
Question:

Is there a TM for Psychic? If so can someone tell me what number and a hint as to where it is?

Found it! Looking for TM earthquake.

The girl on top of the mart gives it to you for a green orb

Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
it would be better if pokemon who evolve from trades would just evolve by leveling!
also can anyone tell me what the star of david patch is for???and if i download the ips file now do i still have to patch it with the star of david patch???

Years
I downloaded VBA-M, and i am getting the white lines, no matter how many different red roms i try. Does anyone know how to fix this yet?

Unfortunately there is no fix VBA-m always has this problem with the sprites in brown. I think that it might be related to the way they are made to fit in the rom. Also strangely if you put Brown of a flashcard the same problem happens, witch makes me wonder if it is because VBA-M is a more accurate emulation the normal VBA?

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2022
Let you know, there is no clean Pokemon Red (U) rom. Only I see mostly is Pokemon Red (U) [!]. I guess this owner of hack seem gave huge mistake about clean Pokemon Red (U) rom. If it have, then it show up on google. But none of them. I think clean Pokemon Red (U) is gone forever.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Unfortunately there is no fix VBA-m always has this problem with the sprites in brown. I think that it might be related to the way they are made to fit in the rom. Also strangely if you put Brown of a flashcard the same problem happens, witch makes me wonder if it is because VBA-M is a more accurate emulation the normal VBA?

It's a known problem. It's due to the fact that the hackers, that made Brown, re-programmed the sprite-loading routine, however, they probably didn't take into account one thing: VRAM (i.e. the gbc hardware area where graphics are loaded) is not accessible all the time (it has a cycle: inaccessible for 59 milliseconds, then accessible for 1.1 millisecond, then again inaccessible for 59 milliseconds, and so on).

So they probably only tested their new code on VBA, which is well known for not emulating the real GB's VRAM inaccessibility, so if you play it on an actual gbc it will show the flaw. If you try to play Brown on BGB, it has a checkbox option where you can choose wheter emulate the VRAM inaccessibility or not. The two results would be the following:

[VRAM inaccessible]
bgb00002.png

[VRAM accessible]
bgb00003.png

Also, creators of Brown don't seem to care about correcting this issue so you just have to play it with that problem (if you're using a real GB) or play it on an emulator that doesn't care for VRAM accessibility.
As Sawakita wrote, VBA doesn't emulate the real GB's VRAM inaccessibility and that's why the sprites in it seem to look correct although they're not. VBA-M is more accurate which leads to "errors" just like playing the game on a GameBoy does.

Let you know, there is no clean Pokemon Red (U) rom. Only I see mostly is Pokemon Red (U) [!]. I guess this owner of hack seem gave huge mistake about clean Pokemon Red (U) rom. If it have, then it show up on google. But none of them. I think clean Pokemon Red (U) is gone forever.

Or maybe you don't know what you're talking about. Pokemon Red (U) [!] is clearly the rom you're looking for to do the patching.

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2022
O.O I spoke too soon. Well guess I have to follow Sawakita that show picture for vram thing.

Edit 1 - Sorry to bust your bubble, but I try. Still see white line on pokemon. I think this owner of Brown need improve with this problem.

Edit 2 - I am going test each emulator for better graphic.

Last edited:

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
I actually do have a fix for this issue (that I forgot about until now), I just kept putting off uploading it for some reason. (Tested on more accurate emulators and a real gameboy). My apologizes.

I'll attach a fix sometime this week (after I do a little more testing). Maybe on Friday.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2022
Yes I know. But I saw some people on youtube graphic is work on emulator but Idk what kind they use for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back