• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Well, yeah, but still it won't work the same in my RP ^^ You can just carry them around.

I'm eager to post the journey RP. But I posted the other RP only some days ago troubled Michaela with deleting it and all and I don't want to seem too annoying ^^' I'll just go and do my homework now.

But be sure to tell me when your PMD RP is up, or your own journey one! I'll maybe not join the latter one, but I will read stalk it :3
Heehee, I read stalk your Pokemorph too, so I think that's kinda fair. xP

Good luck with your homework! I have mine to do too but the deadline's just 3 days away and I'm nearly finished with it so I'm not bugged by it..for now. xD

@Beechlgz: I don't think your the cause for people dropping out, there are few reasons:
1. They are inactive or lazy to post.
2. They have no stamina. (linked to aforementioned.)
3. The GM is inactive and therefore give up no ever continuing the RP, since there's no one in control.

Yup, same as what RHCP said, if your RP is good, then of course people would come and you gotta have a certain level of standard for the RPs you wanna take part in. I have pulled my SU out of some RPs cos the GM was just....extinct. For my RPs-to-be, I plan on having an inactivity rule. That one must post at least once a week, if not, they will be expelled from the RP. I'm currently in a dormant RP, but I'm holding on since the creator already notified us of his absence, so that's still reasonable. :/

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
I'm a little sad that not a lot of people are interested in non-Pokemon RPs, but this is reasonable, given this is a Pokemon forum and everything... > : Unfortunately though, this also means that a lot of high-fantasy (or whatever) RP ideas never see the light of day (due to lack of interest), and I don't really find Pokemon RPs extremely fun any more (most of them anyway... there are some that are genuinely interesting), as most of them just focus around "go on journey, beat gyms, get stronger". To me that plot isn't extremely exciting. The ones that aren't that focus around something like "save world from threat", but the threat in question isn't even very realistic... Somehow the heroes manage to beat the threat easily, every time, and the leaders of the threat don't even seem evil (I mean if I were a villain, I would do, you know, more terrifying things). Of course I'm generalizing a bit here, but it seems so unrealistic sometimes... So much so that I have basically lost the will to RP significantly and stick to writing instead.

This is probably Pokemon and its premise's fault, and perhaps I am too demanding (I only consider myself a "mediocre" RPer at best... I have a lot to learn), but those are my thoughts on some of the things happening.

Last edited:

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
I agree with you that it's not the most fun when the threat is beat easily, but it's mostly up to the RPers to decide how that goes. so maybe if people decided to lose now and again...

Years
Yeah I agree Cirrus.

Which is precisly why I'm doing more of a "realistic plot" in mine, but seriously how seriously can you get with a series that isn't meant to be taken seriously?

Do you realize that most Pokemon can destroy countries single-handedly?

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
It doesn't seem like to many people are taking interest in my RP. Awwww Well.

The pokecommunity RP section as a whole seems to be getting alot of new RPers (which is Great) but the SUs are so Lacking in alot of stuff, aswell as the posts. I mean everyone's a begginer at some time, but people don't seem to care as much.

EDIT: I forgot to ask. What is the proper way to RP? First Person Third Person with Limited knowledge, Or third person omniscent?

Last edited:
Years
@pokemongarnet:
First person would be good, however saying 'I did this', 'I did that' all the time can be tedious. I tend to do third person perspective, saying my character's name or replacing it with the appropriate status(i.e. the boy or in PMDs, the [Pokemon species]).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I prefer third person. First person gets a bit annoying, if you want to read the RP like a story. I was thinking of banning first person posts in my RPs, but some people really feel better with that, so I'm letting them.

Oh, and omniscient. Third person that can hear the characters thoughts AND see things the character doesn't, like "But little did he know a giant zombie was waiting for him just around the corner..." That's what I prefer because that's the style that resembles a written story the best.

Though it's interesting to read the "limited knowledge" style too, if I interpret your meaning correctly.

When I'm writing NPCs in my RPs, I try not to get too personal... though sometimes it's necessary, to give out info the players would benefit from knowing, even though their characters don't.

I think Michaela is going to do some kind of SU help thread ^^ Would be much needed, I'd link to it when rejecting bad SUs xD

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I'm writing a SU now, and I think it's becoming too long xD It's honestly a novel itself. I normally don't write SUs long like this one, but I just got so deep into the character and can't stop myself...

This is a good thing, most often. If you can't write a pretty long SU about your character, then it's probably not fun to play with.

Though, if you write too much, there's not much room for personal development xD

Years
I'm writing a SU now, and I think it's becoming too long xD It's honestly a novel itself. I normally don't write SUs long like this one, but I just got so deep into the character and can't stop myself...

This is a good thing, most often. If you can't write a pretty long SU about your character, then it's probably not fun to play with.

Though, if you write too much, there's not much room for personal development xD
Yes, very true about the last point you stated. I can't help it sometimes too, especially when I've an idea I want to grow it so much. xD

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
I usually write SUs that are from what I see medium/long length. It gives room for development aswell as having alot to the character.

@ Red's Hawt Chibi Pellipers: do you change your avatar everyday or something?

Mute608

Stay Frosty
Years
Here's a Question: Does anyone here ever get tired of just a classical Kanto RP. You know, the simple "Get your first pokemon and Collect all the Kanto Gym Badges" plot. I personally love a simple rp like this and was thinking about just starting one of those as I get back into rping at Pokecommunity, while writing one out that is a tad more complex... what is everyone's opinion?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I love those, personally. I'll never grow tired of them ^^ although I'd really like to see a Sinnoh one; Kanto is the most common. I just started one myself as a Game Master, since the one I was a player in seems to be dying. The GM hasn't been on in a while.

Only thing is, there are many of this kind of RPs already. For your RP to get accepted by the moderator, it will have to have some kind of special storyline or background and plot twists.

Mute608

Stay Frosty
Years
Mmm maybe I'll start a Hoenn or Sinnoh one then. I've been looking at the rp's and there does seem to be a lot of Kanto and Johto ones. I don't think I'll change the plot too much...otherwise it wouldn't be a "simple" rp, but I might add some little twists and sidequests here and there. I'll think about it the next couple of days.

EDIT: Actually think I'm going to try getting a Hoenn one started tonight

Last edited:

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Pokemon+FMA? Anyone? It's going to be called "Marked". and it's not really the same though.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Really? What was it? And what happened, the only way I know of RP's dying is people losing interest.

Please Elaborate.

Years
It was going along nicely, really. It was about 2 years ago. It was later deleted.

But still it was too...how may I say it...copy and pasted. It's like all they did was add Pokemon, which made no sense to the law of equivalent exchange. They did have some interesting concepts, such as how making a Pokemon evolve forcibly isn't such a good idea, but really it sucked.

Now, if you want to merge or make a new series out of something, try something out of history.

Like the ice age. Or the Renaissance. It's up to you really.

But Pokemon + Manga isn't usually good.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
I'm wondering if I should do a 2.0 of one of my first RPs that I started here. It had a good premise too.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
It was going along nicely, really. It was about 2 years ago. It was later deleted.

But still it was too...how may I say it...copy and pasted. It's like all they did was add Pokemon, which made no sense to the law of equivalent exchange. They did have some interesting concepts, such as how making a Pokemon evolve forcibly isn't such a good idea, but really it sucked.

Now, if you want to merge or make a new series out of something, try something out of history.

Like the ice age. Or the Renaissance. It's up to you really.

But Pokemon + Manga isn't usually good.

Well It's actually a stretch from FMA just relating to the Laws of Alchemy, not at all copy pasted. It's like this, There's a war, not like the FMA one, and there's like 16? of these people who have a marking on them that relates to a legendary pokemon, these people try to stop the war. That mark is like a transmutation circle that transorms whatever part the marking is on into part of a legendary pokemon basically, they also gain there powers. And there would also be Alchemy regularly, but the "Marked" people wouldn't own pokemon.

I'm wondering if I should do a 2.0 of one of my first RPs that I started here. It had a good premise too.

Would that perchance be the same one called Alter Ipse Amicus? I was in that for the brief time that it lasted and I liked it for the 3 posts that I got in before it ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back