• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

There should be a bird type pokemon

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 4, 2015
flying type is different from birds. Not all birds can fly.

some flying types aren't birds:

zubat,
hoppip
dragonite
aerodactyl
gligar
emolga
scyther

there are enough birds and bird moves in pokemon to justify a bird type

there are bird pokemons that aren't flying types either that are capable of becoming a bird type if they have a second mega evolution:

blaziken
empoleon
golduck

there are moves mainly only bird types can learn:

featherdance
peck
drill peck
bravebird
pluck
roost

I just don't understand why nintendo/gamefreak didn't make the move to add another type with fairy. they added two types together in johto. I don't believe bird is a subtype.

Dragons are a good example of sub type too. Dragons are basically just flying creatures capable of fire, thunder, water, and ice which could just be like gyrados or charizard where they're labeled flying-water or flying-fre.

Last edited:
Years
Well to be fair, there was a Bird type at one point...

Pokemon_MissingNo..png

While you bring up some good points, I think that if anything, you've convinced me more that we don't need a Dragon type than we do need a Bird one. I think Flying does the job well enough to house the bird Pokemon, since any weaknesses and resistances would be mostly the same if they were given their own type, which would defeat the purpose of having one in the first place.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 4, 2015
Well to be fair, there was a Bird type at one point...

Pokemon_MissingNo..png

While you bring up some good points, I think that if anything, you've convinced me more that we don't need a Dragon type than we do need a Bird one. I think Flying does the job well enough to house the bird Pokemon, since any weaknesses and resistances would be mostly the same if they were given their own type, which would defeat the purpose of having one in the first place.

i know right? if we have a dragon(possibly just reptile) then why not have birds, beast, fish???? is it just that dragon is a way to sell the franchise?

i do think that if bird type is split from flying, flying type won't have as many weaknesses or resistance. Birds will take some of those with them. Particularly insect at least.

it's important to keep in mind that bird type use to be a legit type in red, blue and yellow. Flying moves like whirlwind were normal. I think something is fishy

Last edited:

Ashes to Ashes

Serenade of Cerne
Years
Unnecessary. Theres enough to warrant it but why bother? Itd be better just to change the whole types name to Wind or Air or something since thats the whole problem anyway. Do we need a Spider type too?

Years
  • CA
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
Unnecessary. Theres enough to warrant it but why bother? Itd be better just to change the whole types name to Wind or Air or something since thats the whole problem anyway. Do we need a Spider type too?

"spider" type? that's a bad analogy. bird type is the equivalent of dragon and bugs. it's a class of it's own. might as well take out dragon and bugs if that makes sense.

"spider" type is like "snake" type or "chicken" type.

Last edited:

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
If it was to be implemented/reintroduced, I would like it to replace the normal typing on certain bird pokemon like swellow and staraptor. Bird/Flying would make a lot more sense to me than normal/flying.

Years
  • CA
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
If it was to be implemented/reintroduced, I would like it to replace the normal typing on certain bird pokemon like swellow and staraptor. Bird/Flying would make a lot more sense to me than normal/flying.

that's what I was thinking but a lot of people complain about how birds share a lot of weaknesses and resistance to flying so there would have to be a balance

i find a lot of justification for dragons are bad. they just say dragons are mythical and are a type of it's own. any animal is mythical and has a folktale of its own. Phoenix, thunderbird, bird of paradise..

also, dragon is not an earthly element(fire, water, wind, earth) they're just creatures that can possess fire, water, wind , earth. As far as I know, there are numerous pokemons of different animals that have been mixed with different elements. We have canine-fire(houndoom, arcanine), rodent-thunder(pikachu, minun, emolga), bird-any element(zapdos, pelliper, talonflame).

pretty much the whole point of pokemon is that any animal can merge with any element. to treat dragon like an element of its own is just plain nonsense...

my guess is either to split flying into bird and wind/air. the only problem is most flying pokemon can fly but aren't really made of wind/air so it wouldn't make sense. "Air" wouldn't be a bad choice but people would get the idea of gas. The only pokemons probably made of air that can fly are "driffloon" and "jumpluff". Unless pokemons like dragonite, scyther just have one type but possess a "flying" ability that acts similary to flying type. Like weezing with a levitating ability to avoid earthquake or dig.

It would be an interesting task and would make pokemon more balance

Last edited:

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 1, 2022
I think Bird-type would be a good addition to the games. Although Flying-type would also have to be redone, since many of the flying advantages and disadvantages seem to be based on birds. There are so many birds in pokemon that they could easily be given a category of their own.

As for dragons, (Sorry if I'm a bit biased, I just really like dragons and wanted to defend them a bit), although they could be considered reptilian at times, there are a few dragons that aren't, like Mega Ampharos, Kingdra, and Noivern.
Dragons are revered as deities in many Asian cultures, and pokemon was created in Japan. If you look at many other anime, you'll see the dragon also set apart as an important being, for example, Shenron and the Blue Eyes White Dragon. In Europe, dragons are one of the most dangerous and monstrous beasts one could fight. Out of many of the other creatures of fantasy, dragons are likely the most variant and widespread creatures of mythology: Shen-Long, Tiamat, Smaug, Fafnir, Quetzalcoatl, Sapphira... the list goes on. So I can see why Pokemon made them into their own type.

Years
  • CA
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
I think Bird-type would be a good addition to the games. Although Flying-type would also have to be redone, since many of the flying advantages and disadvantages seem to be based on birds. There are so many birds in pokemon that they could easily be given a category of their own.

As for dragons, (Sorry if I'm a bit biased, I just really like dragons and wanted to defend them a bit), although they could be considered reptilian at times, there are a few dragons that aren't, like Mega Ampharos, Kingdra, and Noivern.
Dragons are revered as deities in many Asian cultures, and pokemon was created in Japan. If you look at many other anime, you'll see the dragon also set apart as an important being, for example, Shenron and the Blue Eyes White Dragon. In Europe, dragons are one of the most dangerous and monstrous beasts one could fight. Out of many of the other creatures of fantasy, dragons are likely the most variant and widespread creatures of mythology: Shen-Long, Tiamat, Smaug, Fafnir, Quetzalcoatl, Sapphira... the list goes on. So I can see why Pokemon made them into their own type.

well one thing for sure is i appreciate that you admitted you were biased for dragons :) i felt like the reason why most types were discarded over dragons is just biased and for money . I thought it was a bit unfair and unbalance that birds were left out from rby. people who prefer dragon types over any other and refuse to accept bird as a type are super biased for dragons and won't admit it but i like your attitude.

There are many pokemons, particularly blaziken, a fan favorite by many fans who would benefit from a mega form or just by having more bird moves if a bird type actually exist.

Like dragons, there are so many forms of mythical birds in stories as well. Phoenix and thunderbird for instance. I think it wouldn't be hard to come up with bird moves at all. Maybe a needle feather or mega peck. I noticed most dragon moves are usable by most creatures with claws and fangs as well but the moves just contain the word "dragon" in front of them to make it look exclusive or give a reason for dragons existent. so if there was a "bird claw" it would easily be a bird move.

as for the weaknesses and resistance, I believe that if bird were to take in effect, bird would be strong against insect rather than flying. most insect can fly too and it's not so much of the flying ability that insects are scared of but its the animals that come after them such as robins and bluejays aka birds. even chickens eat bugs but you dont see a flying squirrel eat bugs often or do they even eat bugs at all?. I could see rock super effective against birds instead of flying too. birds are hollowed bones and would be crushed by heavy material easily plus most birds cant penetrate through rocks and ofcourse the old saying "kill two birds with a stone". A flight creature as big as aerodactyl i don't think would fear rock especially because it lives in a giant rock and probably eats rock as well.

ofcourse, there would have to be more thought and adjustments.

So like you said, the reason dragon is selected seems to be because of cultural preference. Not to be mean but aside from folktales and mythologies, it seems that nerd culture of dungeons and dragon has won the heart of anime and we won't live to see much variety...sadly

Last edited:

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 1, 2022
Like dragons, there are so many forms of mythical birds in stories as well. Phoenix and thunderbird for instance. I think it wouldn't be hard to come up with bird moves at all. Maybe a needle feather or mega peck. I noticed most dragon moves are usable by most creatures with claws and fangs as well but the moves just contain the word "dragon" in front of them to make it look exclusive or give a reason for dragons existent. so if there was a "bird claw" it would easily be a bird move.

I am really surprised that Pokemon didn't stick with the planned bird-type right from the start. With Pigeot, Fearow, Farfetch'd, Doutrio, and the legendary birds, there were plenty enough pokemon to help establish a bird type. Even the first two games based a majority of their myths and legendary Pokemon on birds such as the Pheonix. I honestly used to think that Ho-Oh was the God Pokemon until they made Arceus. Of course, making Lugia a dragon-type would have been neat, as then there would be a phoenix and dragon - both being very important mythological creatures in China - as Johto's legendaries. The biggest complication I see right now is that flying IS the bird-type considering type advantages. Flying should be renamed Bird, and Flying would essentially become the new type with new type advantages. There would be a bit of rearranging for both types to work, and it may be awhile before a new type is added. They've only introduced 3 new types so far.

So like you said, the reason dragon is selected seems to be because of cultural preference. Not to be mean but aside from folktales and mythologies, it seems that nerd culture of dungeons and dragon has won the heart of anime and we won't live to see much variety...sadly

I kinda feel that the dragon-type has died down a bit. Dragons are now relatively easy to find (Trapinch, Goomy, Skrelp) and now are at a huge type disadvantage when it comes to Fairy. Although pokemon still gives this type special treatment at times (such as giving every dragon of Hoenn, with the exception of Flygon, a mega-evolution), I can see them going in a direction of smoothing out the different types and making the game more balanced.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 4, 2015
I am really surprised that Pokemon didn't stick with the planned bird-type right from the start. With Pigeot, Fearow, Farfetch'd, Doutrio, and the legendary birds, there were plenty enough pokemon to help establish a bird type. Even the first two games based a majority of their myths and legendary Pokemon on birds such as the Pheonix. I honestly used to think that Ho-Oh was the God Pokemon until they made Arceus. Of course, making Lugia a dragon-type would have been neat, as then there would be a phoenix and dragon - both being very important mythological creatures in China - as Johto's legendaries. The biggest complication I see right now is that flying IS the bird-type considering type advantages. Flying should be renamed Bird, and Flying would essentially become the new type with new type advantages. There would be a bit of rearranging for both types to work, and it may be awhile before a new type is added. They've only introduced 3 new types so far.

I kinda feel that the dragon-type has died down a bit. Dragons are now relatively easy to find (Trapinch, Goomy, Skrelp) and now are at a huge type disadvantage when it comes to Fairy. Although pokemon still gives this type special treatment at times (such as giving every dragon of Hoenn, with the exception of Flygon, a mega-evolution), I can see them going in a direction of smoothing out the different types and making the game more balanced.

good point. i think with ho-oh you brought up was good. it was actually the first powerful legendary seen and it was a bird. I felt like nintendo/gamefreak did a dishonorable job with how the pokemon journey started. we all first saw ho-oh and spearows were the first enemies as well so for them to do bird type injustice it's kind of sad.

I think that flying type can stay, or be replaced with wind/air. The only problem with replacing flying with wind/air is that not all flying pokemon are made of air aside from jumpluff, driffloon, rayquaza and maybe a few other. The flying type could be gone entirely and to balance it out, all pokemon capable of flying like dragonite or scyther can still learn fly(if scyther is even capapble), and then they can possess a fly ability that acts just like flying type where they can avoid earthquakes or dig like "levitating' for weezing.

The only problem then would be handling flying moves. Some moves like aerial ace, wing attack, gust would have to change to normal or bird. But i really do believe things can work out

Years
I'm sorry, but I fail to see the point. You might as well clamor for a Feline and Fish type. We should also have an Item type to throw Voltorb, Claydoll, and Klink into. The argument of "they have a lot of 'mons based on birds, birds should be a type" is somewhat ridiculous considering a good amount of the type match ups come from birds in particular when you actually look at it.

• Strong against bugs because birds eat bugs.
  • Strong against fighting because reasons.
  • Strong against grass possibly because birds live in trees and use the dead limbs of trees to make their homes on trees. Also possibly because hurricanes can screw up a landscape pretty quickly, but both sound about right to be honest.
  • Not effective against Steel because reasons.
  • Weak against electricity because lightning cuts through the sky(this one is Sky in general)
  • Weak against rock because of the old saying "hit two birds with one stone"
  • Weak against ice because many birds migrate to escape the cold.

Pretty soon Pikachu will be its own type. :D

Back