• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2012
Well, looking at all the overworld sprites in Emerald (the game I'm hacking), there seems to be several sprites I can use. Namely several Regi dolls that can only be acquired through E-Readers or Gamesharks, an odd fat guy sprite I've never seen before, and the 4 protagonists from FR/LG and R/S. Thanks again!

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
Sigh. Another weird problem. I have inserted my 2 region maps flawlessly. It shows up perfect in Advance Map. My first starting region (Taejo) shows up perfectly in game as well. However, needing to test my second region map in game (Seijo), this is what happens when I move from a Taejo map to a Seijo map:

The top part of Seijo gets glitched up. I also noticed that if I get there through a warp, the Seijo map gets this little glitched block on the top right of the region. Since the map shows up perfectly in Advance Map does that mean there is only a specific way of transferring between these maps? Like the original way Game Freak did with the Bill event in Cinnabar. Do I have to make a script like that in order to get to the other map?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 21, 2023
I have many questions, so please bear with me. All of these questions pertain to Fire Red.

1: Is there a way to change the gender of an overworld? You know how a male overworld has blue text, and a female has red text. Is that all part of the script? Or is it the overworld itself?
2: How can you go into the script of a Gym Leader and change the TM that they give you? I have no scripting experience and have always failed whenever I attempted one.
3: Whenever I try to change the gym badges, the black outline becomes transparent. No matter which palette I try to use in unLZ, it always ends up being transparent. What am I doing wrong?
4: How can you change the color of the battle background when doing an Elite Four match. Like if I want to change the blue setting of Lorelei's battle to red.

I would appreciate it greatly if anyone can answer these questions.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
1. It's scripted. The overworld means nothing, and technically, the overworld has no gender, so to speak. The point at the beginning where Oak asks for gender basically makes it so that, depending on which one you pick, you can check a flag in scripts to differ depending on what gender you picked. The color is just a script thing and has to be manually added to each script

2. Yes, that's simply a matter of changing the item in the script, it'd be best to check a scripting tutorial to change that.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I have many questions, so please bear with me. All of these questions pertain to Fire Red.

1: Is there a way to change the gender of an overworld? You know how a male overworld has blue text, and a female has red text. Is that all part of the script? Or is it the overworld itself?
2: How can you go into the script of a Gym Leader and change the TM that they give you? I have no scripting experience and have always failed whenever I attempted one.
3: Whenever I try to change the gym badges, the black outline becomes transparent. No matter which palette I try to use in unLZ, it always ends up being transparent. What am I doing wrong?
4: How can you change the color of the battle background when doing an Elite Four match. Like if I want to change the blue setting of Lorelei's battle to red.

I would appreciate it greatly if anyone can answer these questions.

1. This function actually IS automatic...open up any OW's script in Firered, and you won't see anything that changes the text's color. There's most likely a table somewhere in the ROM that chooses the color depending on the gender. Of course, you can fake it as well, by using [blue_fr] or [red_fr] for blue and red text, respectively. Place these at the beginning of the string...for example:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
msgbox @message MSG_FACE
release
end

#org @message
= [red_fr]I speak with red text!
The above is for XSE. I don't know Pokescript, so I don't know what command, if any, it uses for text color change. XSE also has a command called "textcolor" that changes the text to black, blue, or red depending on the parameter specified (I never use this command, so I don't remember the bytes. Check a tutorial for more details).

2. There is a command in all gym leader's scripts that is called "giveitem", which gives an item. Additionally, there's a command called "giveitem2", which will display a custom text, as opposed to the generic "Obtained a _______!". There's only one, or maybe two (one for if you have enough room for it when you finish the battle, another if you didn't have enough room and had to go back), so change the values of both to the item you want. The command is laid out as so:

giveitem2 [Item_Number] [Quantity] [Jingle Number]

Once you do that, you need to edit the custom string. You could actually be getting the right TM, but it still displays the custom message. The custom message is dictated by the "loadpointer" command, and is usually located right around the giveitem2 command. Change that text to the correct TM, and you'll be all set

3. I don't know how much experience you have with indexing, but I'd read a tutorial on inserting Pokemon sprites (the process is virtually identical). The first color in the index is always considered "transparent". So if black is the first color in the index, then it'll be the transparent color.

4. The palettes of battle platforms are stored in the wonkiest way possible. I don't want to explain it here...it would take way too long to explain. I recommend just waiting until you have more experience.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2012
Hmmm, Now that I've been working on getting the tile set from advanced map to put it into ruby, I am starting to have second thoughts. That leads me to a few questions:

1. Is there a list of tile sets that have been inserted into ruby?
2. What would I google to look up tile sets? I've tried to googleing "pokemon ruby custom tileset rom base" (I don't feel like messing with manually inserting them)
3. On the rom hacking resources thread, i found a rom base I particularly liked. The Pokemon Coral rom base (http://mail.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5781764&postcount=101) . However, the download link tells me the file isn't available. I dunno if it's against the rules or whatever, but could anyone give me the patch if you have it? Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask for it but I'd love to use it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2012
When I try to open a map in AM, it gives me an error message-
Error EHeader Error. The map bank seems to be corrupted.

Help?

Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2012
Ugh... I really hate to bug you guys again, but I've got one last problem in this Emerald hack that's been plaguing me since I started using Advancemap.
Can't post pics, because of the 15 post block thing. But when making new areas, I get two recurring problems.

1. (The biggest problem) Connecting my new areas to the default ones via caves. The entrance caves work fine, but the small exit ones that you'd find inside the cave do not work. These are the small caves with yellow light coming from them. They don't work, but the gaping black holes that you'd find outside work perfectly. So basically, you can get into the new areas, but you cannot leave. This seals off all but two of my new areas. One of the two was fixed because I just removed the cave with the broken exit that connected them. The other suffers from bug #2. I did make sure that the warp, map, and map banks line up correctly. Since this happens for all of them, I assume it's just something simple that I'm missing.

2. I used the "Map Connection" tool to insert a large island nearby the route to Pacifidlog Town. When making the transition over to that area, though, the game freezes.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the work in progress here so someone can check it out via AdvanceMap... will await confirmation. Much appreciated if you can help me.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Ugh... I really hate to bug you guys again, but I've got one last problem in this Emerald hack that's been plaguing me since I started using Advancemap.
Can't post pics, because of the 15 post block thing. But when making new areas, I get two recurring problems.

1. (The biggest problem) Connecting my new areas to the default ones via caves. The entrance caves work fine, but the small exit ones that you'd find inside the cave do not work. These are the small caves with yellow light coming from them. They don't work, but the gaping black holes that you'd find outside work perfectly. So basically, you can get into the new areas, but you cannot leave. This seals off all but two of my new areas. One of the two was fixed because I just removed the cave with the broken exit that connected them. The other suffers from bug #2. I did make sure that the warp, map, and map banks line up correctly. Since this happens for all of them, I assume it's just something simple that I'm missing.

2. I used the "Map Connection" tool to insert a large island nearby the route to Pacifidlog Town. When making the transition over to that area, though, the game freezes.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the work in progress here so someone can check it out via AdvanceMap... will await confirmation. Much appreciated if you can help me.

1. There are 2 cave floor tiles, one for the standard walk around, encounter Pokemon. The other that looks exactly the same is designed to be placed at the exit so it can use the warp that you place. Basically, look for the tiles that looks exactly the same as the ones you've used, and that should be the one for the exit.

2. Did you make the connections on both maps?

Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2012
Yeah, I did make sure that the warps are connected on both ends. How do I tell what tile is designed to be placed in front of the exit? Is there a specific offset or block number?

EDIT: Okay, fixed all my caves. Thanks! Any idea what's up with the game crashing when transitioning to a new area, though?

Last edited:

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
Yeah, I did make sure that the warps are connected on both ends. How do I tell what tile is designed to be placed in front of the exit? Is there a specific offset or block number?

EDIT: Okay, fixed all my caves. Thanks! Any idea what's up with the game crashing when transitioning to a new area, though?

Sounds like you didn't connect through both of the maps. What's the offset number for the connections?

Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2019
Problem with script...

Hi! Sorry if I bother you again but I have got a problem (another D: )...
Well, this time I have got some problems with scripts... If I make a new script, like a sign or a person, some text of the Prof. Oak's intro are corrupted... How can I fix it? Thank you!

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
Well, this time I have got some problems with scripts... If I make a new script, like a sign or a person, some text of the Prof. Oak's intro are corrupted... How can I fix it? Thank you!

Sounds like an overwriting issue. What offset have you inserted your scripts? Also when editing scripts already inserted in the game can lead to problems if the edited script becomes larger than before it was edited. Nearby scripts can get overwritten/corrupted.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday

It possibly could be the offset you are using for your script which is already used as part of Oaks script. Try using a different, perhaps free offset (like 800000) and trying your script again, and see if that helps. If not, could be a corrupt ROM.

Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2019
It works with 0x800000... But now, how can I find another free offset?

Yes, I edited the intro text with AText, and I always use FSF to find a free offset but if I use a offset founded with FSF, the intro texts are corrupted...

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
It works with 0x800000... But now, how can I find another free offset?

Yes, I edited the intro text with AText, and I always use FSF to find a free offset but if I use a offset founded with FSF, the intro texts are corrupted...

Find it using a Hex Editor instead. Look for a whole load of FFs (I did keep a note of offsets, but they got deleted by accident), and make a note of the offset that a long load of them start at.

Oh, and A-Text isn't always the most reliable. Keep using it if you have success with it, but you can also edit the text witha Hex Editor if you can find the offset and no Hex (I don't, but it is possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back