• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new types into Fire Red without replacing

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I did that and it still gives me that error :(, What could I be doing wrong? Btw I have already edited some Pokemon base stats before I looked at the tutorial.

Then I guess you should just test the new type, then revert everything back in order to use YAPE, and in order to use the new type, you're gonna have to go the old fashioned way, using a hex editor, which isn't hard if you know where to look for offsets

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
On Part 2 where you find the Type Effectiviness Hex its has nothing but FF which is free space I resumed? D: What do I do know? Where did my Type Effectiviness chart go, it still functions in the rom

Edit: So I'm A newbie and figured out that my Type Effectiveness got repointed because I forgot I tinkered with the type effectiveness beforehand and I added resistances and Weakness to the ??? type and customize Ghost to be immune to Ground(Because Ghost Levitate anyway, look at Chandelure,) lol

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 29, 2020
How can you change a type or move to become special or physical? for instances i want to make Ghost type special, how do i do that?

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
How can you change a type or move to become special or physical? for instances i want to make Ghost type special, how do i do that?

Check out the physical/special patch over in the Research/Development section. Or check out MrDollSteak's patch in the resources, which already includes the Fairy type and more!

Trainer 781

Another good application of adding new types can be to simulate Freeze Dry and Flying Press (and many custom moves like them) without any deep ASM knowledge.
First, we can add new types (say ice+ and fight+).
Then, make separate type effectiveness tables for each of them respectively(according to which these moves damage super effectively, normally and not very effectively and we don't need to care about what ice+ and fight+ resist or not, because we will be only interested in assigning these types to the moves and not pokemon).
Set Freeze Dry to ice+ type and flying press to fight+ type.
Then, give base power Freeze dry to *1.5*70) or (make the type effective table in integrals of 1.5 with base power of 70). Similarly for flying press. Because ice+ won't gain STAB from ice type nor fight+ from fight.

The downside will be that you should only give freeze dry to an ice type pokemon, because the boosted power is only meant to simulate STAB for them (and only pokemon who are ice type or part ice type legally learn it). If you freeze dry to non ice pokemon by this method, then they will also get the boosted power.

Hope this can prove helpful for hackers, who want to add a proper freeze dry or flying press in their games.

TheShinyMew

Wild Challenger appeared!
Years
I am tried to repoint the type chart and when I test it and hit Umbreon with a Fairy-type move, it will not say "it's super-effective". Will I repoint wrong?

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
I just tested this in Emerald. Here's the icons:

Image Data: DC4378 7843DC08
Palette Data: DC4338 3843DC08

To edit the pics, the location for the "wall of text" is here: 60F0D4

However, for Emerald, it looks more complicated.

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Ok so I took another shot at it and it worked :D, really when you learn the way of pointers and hex this becomes easy :) I even was able to change all the moves I wanted to fairy

Germaniac

Victoria Concordia Crescit
Years
Will the moves of the new type count as physical or special? Also NSE only supports FireRed, what should I do for Ruby?

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Will the moves of the new type count as physical or special? Also NSE only supports FireRed, what should I do for Ruby?

For Ruby, look at Destinedjagold's tutorial. It's detailed and probably easier to understand

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
Years
Spoiler:

I don't understand this..... How do I change the size of the image? I don't get it.................

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I don't understand this..... How do I change the size of the image? I don't get it.................

When you're opening the original type chart in NSE 2.x, you should see that there is a text box next to the word "height" that is 16. If your image is bigger, check the height of your image, it needs to be divisible by 8, if it isn't it screws up the entire thing. So take your height, divide it by 8 and replace the height value with that value.

Circaoffire

Clueless Scripter :/
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2016
Hi, I am having difficulty with adding in a new type following Fairy. I am starting off of MrDollSteak's patch, so I already had the fairy part done. For the picture, I placed my Type Icon to the right of the Fairy Icon. I however did have to repoint and move the whole hex to free space elsewhere. I get this though,
addingnewtype_zpsfaa0ad36.png

I used AC for the coordinate, and my last two look like "20 0C A8 00 20 0C AC 00" I can't figure it out. I tried a few other options for Dragonite's second type. I used 18 like you said it should be, I tried 19 and others. I've tried other coordinates for the icon. And I just can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Hi, I am having difficulty with adding in a new type following Fairy. I am starting off of MrDollSteak's patch, so I already had the fairy part done. For the picture, I placed my Type Icon to the right of the Fairy Icon. I however did have to repoint and move the whole hex to free space elsewhere. I get this though,
addingnewtype_zpsfaa0ad36.png

I used AC for the coordinate, and my last two look like "20 0C A8 00 20 0C AC 00" I can't figure it out. I tried a few other options for Dragonite's second type. I used 18 like you said it should be, I tried 19 and others. I've tried other coordinates for the icon. And I just can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Okay, a problem. For your new type, you are using the 17 the entry when you should be using the 18th entry.
So, it should like this: 20 0C A8 00 24 0C 00 01 20 0C AC 00
The middle entry is just filler for the "Effect" icon which isn't really used.
If you do that, it SHOULD work.

Circaoffire

Clueless Scripter :/
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2016
Okay, a problem. For your new type, you are using the 17 the entry when you should be using the 18th entry.
So, it should like this: 20 0C A8 00 24 0C 00 01 20 0C AC 00
The middle entry is just filler for the "Effect" icon which isn't really used.
If you do that, it SHOULD work.

This did fix that white block, however my Dragonite now looks single typed. I double checked my sprite in NSE 2.1, and It is still inserted, and the blank type space to the right of Fairy does have my icon. Any suggestions now? Thanks for the filler help! And thanks in advanced!

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
This did fix that white block, however my Dragonite now looks single typed. I double checked my sprite in NSE 2.1, and It is still inserted, and the blank type space to the right of Fairy does have my icon. Any suggestions now? Thanks for the filler help! And thanks in advanced!

You just have to check if you repointed everything. That's all I can say for now, unless I forgot something.

Joltix

Don't Steal My Thunder
Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2016
Thanks for the tutorial, only got the one problem. I've managed to change the Pokemons type to fairy but I cannot figure out how to change the pokemons attacks to fairy type as is doesn't show up on any move editing tools I've got and they haven't got it in the ini's so I can't change to total number of move types.
Any know how to change it? Thanks.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Thanks for the tutorial, only got the one problem. I've managed to change the Pokemons type to fairy but I cannot figure out how to change the pokemons attacks to fairy type as is doesn't show up on any move editing tools I've got and they haven't got it in the ini's so I can't change to total number of move types.
Any know how to change it? Thanks.

Hex editing is your best friend. Go to 0x250c04, the move data table , go to the move you want and then change the type to '18'. You can find out the structure of the move data on Bulbapedia. So just use those. No tool ATM can change move types to extended ones, so, all the moves you want to be the new type have to be hex edited.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 6, 2014
I am having trouble importing the Image I created. I get an error message that says "the image loaded was not indexed or used an undefined alpha channel". I am pretty new to this and got no idea what I could be doing wrong. I edited the image in paint, and the size is 128 x 152.

Back