• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Getting into competitive Pokemon, need team help

I am wanting to get into competitive battling, but kinda want to try to use pokemon I like.
I want:
Goodra
Gardevoir
Pinsir (mega)
Delphox
Venasaur
Garchomp

I just have no idea how to set up a team with that. You guys can substitute pokemon if you have good ideas, any are better than mine.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I need a good set for a quiet goodra with perfect sp.def and sped ivs

Quiet Boosts Sp. Attack. If you can tolerate not having any status moves, I recommend Assault Vest. My Vest Goodra was hit by a Dazzling Gleam. The damage was so small the other guy quit.

Vest Goodra @ Assault Vest
Quiet
252 HP
252 SP At
4 Def

Dragon Pulse
Sludge Bomb
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt/ Anything

Pulse for STAB, Sludge to cover Fairy immunity, Fire to cover Steel resistance, plus 1 move of any type to finish the set.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I am wanting to get into competitive battling, but kinda want to try to use pokemon I like.
I want:
Goodra
Gardevoir
Pinsir (mega)
Delphox
Venasaur
Garchomp

I just have no idea how to set up a team with that. You guys can substitute pokemon if you have good ideas, any are better than mine.
I honestly think that Delphox is better off in the lower tiers. It has good stats and good move pool, sure, but I don't see how it can differentiate itself from other Fire Pokemon like Heatran. Since Mega Pinsir is Bug/Flying, you need a Rapid Spinner/Defogger on the team, like Starmie or Skarmory.

Move sets would be appreciated as well.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
When we say a stat is decreased/increased by 1 stage how much do we mean?

When a stat has been increased one stage, it's been multiplied by x1.5. When it's been increased two, it's been multiplied by x2, x2.5, x3, x3.5, and eventually until it maxes out at 4x. Decreasing is different, and a single stage of decrease is 2/3, followed by two stages which is 1/2, then 2/5, then 1/3, 2/7 and finally 1/4. Hope that helps?

Years
I just want to clarify something, If my Vivillon used a trapping move like Infestation, and then I switch out, will the opponent Pokemon still get trapped and get residual damage?

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
Need help with one of my pokemon. I've never used Haxorus before so Im kinda lost here, I don't know if this build is good or not in this Metagame. I got a reset bag so is ok if I have to EV train it again.

The set I'm currently using is.

Haxorus
Nature: Adamant
Ability:Rivalry (will change this soon)
31/31/31/x/31/31
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Item: Life Orb

Moves
-Dragon Claw
-EQ
-Poison Jab
-Swords Dance

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I've used Haxorus a few times in competitive play, so I think I may be able to help you out.

Mold Breaker is the only ability Haxorus should be using, but I see you're planning to change that, so I'll just leave it be.

The EV set you are currently using is the preferred set, so you're fine in that sense. Since you are using an adamant nature, I would recommend switching out Swords Dance for Dragon Dance. This way, you can get a speed boost along with the attack boost. Haxorus already has an incredibly high attack, so I don't think there should be too much of an attacking boost loss, but it is outspeed easily. Lots of dragons outspeed it and you need that speed boost if it's going to reach max potential.

Life Orb is a good item, but another one to consider is leftovers. It's just a personal preference because you're already going to have a sky-high attack with one boost, so the extra bonus from Life Orb isn't going to be all that necessary. I normally use leftovers, but it's up to you.

The only other thing I would consider changing is Poison Jab. Sure, it's super-effective against fairies, but not much else. I would put Iron Tail as it's also super effective against ice types. Although, with the shaky accuracy, I'll understand if you want to keep poison jab there.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Meta Game?

After playing tons of MOBAs before getting back back into pokemon, and trying to play competitively now, I began to think if there was a trend for pokemon teams to follow. I understand that pokemon is 100x more complex then any MOBA out now, but I just can't help wonder if there is that ideal pattern. Albeit that I'm actually quite new to competitive play, so I really wanted to get some answers before investing time on a team.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
After playing tons of MOBAs before getting back back into pokemon, and trying to play competitively now, I began to think if there was a trend for pokemon teams to follow. I understand that pokemon is 100x more complex then any MOBA out now, but I just can't help wonder if there is that ideal pattern. Albeit that I'm actually quite new to competitive play, so I really wanted to get some answers before investing time on a team.
Well, there are common Pokemon found in the standard OU metagame (for generation five: http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/ou http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...imulator-statistics-—-september-2013.3489026/), and each of them have their own prevalent movesets and strategies. Often times people do not stray very far from the usual movesets in those analyses, but that isn't always the case of course. Usually you can get a good feel for the metagame by using some tried-and-true strategies before expanding on them and using more creative stuff.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Would a normal Gen 5 Dragon Dance Dragonite be viable to train in the new Gen?

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Would a normal Gen 5 Dragon Dance Dragonite be viable to train in the new Gen?

If you give it something to deal with Fairy-types (like Thunderpunch or Iron Head) then it should be viable. There's also this Weakness Policy set going around which is basically a DD set + Weakness Policy as the hold item.

It's still pretty early to judge thoroughly though.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I also wanted to add that Agility + Weakness Policy could possibly work, similar to Shell Smash sweepers.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Oh yeah, I'd also like to point out that if you are going for a weakness policy set then it is recommended to have Multiscale and possibly a way to remove hazards and/or give Dnite Roost to help tank up those super effective hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back