• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Critique my team please?

Years
So I've decided to jump back into Fire Red and just got my 6th badge, but I'm really looking for beef up my team move wise. So here's my team with their current moves, and moves I'm planning on possibly adding.

Venesur: Solar Beam

Giga Drain

Sleep Powder

Earthquake

Possible:

Sludge Bomb (90) inflicts damage and has a 30% chance of poisoning the target.
Sunny Day? (no charge for solar beam)

Archanine: Iron Tail

Fire Blast

Flame Thrower

Toxic

Possibilities: need suggestions.

Piggeyot: Fly

Hyper Beam

Mirror Move

Steel Wing

Possibly: Aerial Ace

Gyaradose: Surf

Ice Beam

Hyper Beam

Flame Thrower

Possibility: Any suggestions?

Kadabra: Shadow Ball

Physic

Recover

Reflect

Possibly: Thunder bolt?

Riachu: Thunderbolt

Thunder

Focus Punch

Iron Tail

Possibly: Brick Break (Strong fighting move)

Rain Dance (Thunder has 100% accuracy)

Once again this is just my time for now and some moves I've come up with. I'm really looking for variety and power, but not sure if I should even bother worrying about status effect moves like "thunder wave" or "toxic". This team can also be changed as needed, so if there are any other pokemon out there I should consider please let me know. Also looking for a moveset for Charizard and Blastoids!

Thanks all!

lizzzz

I want to be the very best!
Years
Well, first of all, I love all the pokemon you've chosen (which makes editing your team difficult). HOWEVER, here is my first suggestion. I would get rid of Venusaur or Raichu. Both have the same advantages, so you should cover your bases in a different way. Personally, unless you are planning on evolving Kadabra, I would get rid of Kadabra and Venusar and switch them for Exeggutor with Psychic, Solarbeam, Sleep Powder/Sludge Bomb, and a strong normal type move like Strength/Egg Bomb. Then you have room for a strong ground type pokemon to give you some good defense. These are just my suggestions, of course! :)

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
I'm not mini-modding or anything, but this doesn't belong here. You could have a mod move this into In-Game help in the Battle Center or just copy&paste it there. As for some suggestions, get rid of Hyper Beam on Gyrados and Pidgeot, they are both physical attackers. And also, Raichu doesn't want Focus Punch, because it's a special attacker. Also remember to grind your pokemon up for the Pokemon league when it comes :).

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Firstly, I'll move this for you to the In-game Team Rate section which is the correction section tor team-based questions like this.

A few cents worth:
So I've decided to jump back into Fire Red and just got my 6th badge, but I'm really looking for beef up my team move wise. So here's my team with their current moves, and moves I'm planning on possibly adding.

Venesur: Solar Beam
Giga Drain
Sleep Powder
Earthquake
Possible:

Sludge Bomb (90) inflicts damage and has a 30% chance of poisoning the target.
Sunny Day? (no charge for solar beam)
Sunny Day only if you use Solarbeam, not much point otherwise. Note it won't help Gyarados with its water moves if so though. Sludge bomb is a nice move for it though imo. And it's a useful Pokemon so idk about replacing it tbh, especially as it's already evolved. Up to you though.
Archanine:
Iron Tail
Fire Blast
Flame Thrower
Toxic
Possibilities: need suggestions.
It'd later learn Extremespeed which is a useful priority move I suppose. He could also be an option for Sunny Day I suppose?

Piggeyot:
Fly
Hyper Beam
Mirror Move
Steel Wing
Possibly: Aerial Ace
Hyper beam is not usually a great move imo, as you'd usually do more damage with two attacks in one turn than one hyper beam in two turns (recharge). Return is a nice Normal stab move for it as a replacement (Hyper Beam has 150 base power, Return 102 at max, so two returns >> 1 Hyper Beam usually).
Gyaradose:
Surf
Ice Beam
Hyper Beam
Flame Thrower
Possibility: Any
suggestions?
Same dealy with Hyperbeam which is also less useful for gyarados given it gets no STAB for it. Don't use Dragon Dance as no 3rd gen move it has in this moveset would benefit (otherwise I'd recommend it and Waterfall).
Riachu:
Thunderbolt
Thunder
Focus Punch
Iron Tail

Possibly: Brick Break (Strong
fighting move)
Rain Dance (Thunder
has 100% accuracy)
Note Rain Dance hurts Arcanine/Venesaur if you keep Solar Beam... and both it and Sunny day on the same team seems off (best one or the other, not both).

Once again this is just my time for now and some moves I've come up with. I'm really looking for variety and power, but not sure if I should even bother worrying about status effect moves like "thunder wave" or "toxic". This team can also be changed as needed, so if there are any other pokemon out there I should consider please let me know. Also looking for a moveset for Charizard and Blastoids!

Thanks all!
FWIW Thunderwave helps with catching Pokemon (status effect), Toxic is good for stalling but maybe a bit odd for an attacking Pokemon like Arcanine.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm not mini-modding or anything, but this doesn't belong here. You could have a mod move this into In-Game help in the Battle Center or just copy&paste it there.

Sweetie, just cause you say "I'm not mini-modding but..." doesn't mean it's not. It is mini-modding, so next time, just report the thread and be on your way.

Moving this to in-game team help.

Back