The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Blazing Inferno
Weavile's Revenge Creator

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
PJBottomz, I haven't really given that topic much thought (have thought about it though), but as stated in the main post this was started in 2009 and I most common tiles I could find was LG/FR ones. I actually prefer them, that is why they are still their. And by your content of your post, I believe that you haven't gotten very far in the game. Now, Grovile's den as you call it, (and his house) is actually the only 'house' in Ponario that is in a cave as such. All the other houses are houses on the inside (if that makes sense). I never really picked one that I preferred but this is what I came up with.

Cave houses: More natural, suits the Pokemon more, but loses individuality(haha)
House houses: Totally unnatural, can confuse the hell out of you (who and how was it made??), but every house is different one one way.
(I did ask which one people preferred, but I have never gotten a response)

When I first started this, I was going for the idea that People had once lived on the land that they live on, and for some reason left. Although this idea was to never be explored in the game or even be here. There was another idea but that doesn't need to be discussed. Both of these were scraped along time ago.There was another idea but that doesn't need to be discussed. All in all, the insides of houses and 'human made' things were there from the beginning and have just stayed there. I could go back and revise all of that stuff, but for now it can stay as it is.

I like to see it as Pokemon are more intelligent than they are given credit for. And besides, Machop, Machoke and Machamp are there for heavy lifting!

This video I made of Ponario's changes though out time, actually shows Ponario from when I first made it to now.

Come and check it out!
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:35 AM
KUi Klutch

Phenomenal job so far Blazing.

I really thought the demo was amazing.

Last edited by KUi Klutch; August 18th, 2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
Hmmm... I see your point. That actually makes sense now that I think about it. I guess if humans lived there at one point and eventually left, some stuff would be left behind. That's actually a creative backstory when you look at it like that.

Concerning the house-house and the cave-house, that's actually a totally plausible idea. I think the only thing I'd recommend is to have the house kind-of "Pokewrecked" in that the Pokemon have messed around with stuff and used ordinary house stuff in interesting ways. I'm not totally sure how to explain it, but I doubt Pokemon would use the household objects like lamps and coffee makers the same way that humans would. Dunno if that makes sense.

I like that video, and all the changes that were made to the town. You have a really creative and unique mapping style! I adore the houses surrounded by water. Maybe you could try to vary the design of the houses? I'm sure every rock isn't made exactly the same way, right? You could probably even merge a few of them together but have them separated on the inside by a pile of crumbled rocks or... something. Overall, it's really neat.

And yeah, I couldn't get far. For some reason, most RPGM XP games don't work for me My control pad doesn't cooperate well with them for some reason, and I can't move. If it was easy to implement mouse-based movement (maybe it is?) I'd love that to play this. But yeah, this is still really cool and I'd love to play it if I could.

Good luck!

Old August 20th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Blazing Inferno

Just updated the first post with a new download.
This is not necessary to download, unless you have keyboard troubles. It just allows the mouse to be used to control the player, instead of using the keyboard. But it can still be used.
Left click moves player and interacts (action key)
Right click access menus and also the cancel key

However, using this download disables you to run/fly (move faster) in the game. I believe that this is the only drawback to using this, but if you find some that doesn't seem right, please let me know about it. It would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
The mouse version doesn't work for me either Grovyle just moves to the right and the left mouse button does nothing. Are these games only meant to work on Windows XP or something? Because I have Windows 7 and I think that might have something to do with it. If not, well, I guess I'm just destined to never play this game! Oh well. I still hope you can finish this! If you do ever find a workaround, just PM me about it. Otherwise, good luck on it!

Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:31 AM
joeyhugg

The mouse demo seems to work fine for me. :/

Last edited by joeyhugg; August 23rd, 2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Blazing Inferno

Hey everyone. Just a quick post to say that I am not sure when the next update will happen. Not much progress has been made since uni and a few other things have taken up a lot of my time.
Just thought I would let you guys know.
Old October 27th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Blazing Inferno

Alright. As it may look, this appears to be dead, BUT I assure you it is not.

I am just very busy with uni and it has been taking up a lot of my time. So, I have come to the decision to have this thread locked for the time being, just until the holidays (which are actually not that long away), but also until I have more progress, and that I am satisfied with it.

So I thought that I would just let you guys know what is happening.

Catch you guys when a lot of progress has been done!

Come and check it out!
Old October 28th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Thread closed at author's request.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here