• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Is anyone ditching their starter?

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
What?! Serperior is one of the most awesome looking pokemon in Gen5!!! I've used it and it was the reason I got the game tbh, I really loved it's design... It's a beast, at least mine, it's very fast and a perfect dual screener.
The others are trash though.

Years
I actually haven't ever gotten rid of a Starter except in White I got rid of Emboar. But in B+W2 I've got Samurott instead who I've kept. I don't know why but I like it. I think its weirdly cute.

SuperChobot

IS THIS HOW I TITLE
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2013
I might be ditching my Samurott for my Empoleon from D/P. Its move set isn't very good (because I wasn't the best at Pokemon at the time), but if worse comes to worse I can breed it and just re-raise it from scratch. Because Samurott is just too generic of a water type Pokemon for me.

Plasma Prince N

Full-time Pokémon Master.
Years
I'm finishing the game with my Emboar, but I'm ditching her as soon as I beat the Elite 4 to start building my Bug/Dragon team. I always tend to use my starter, just not as much post-game.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
Has anyone kept their starter unevolved?
I am not a Tepig fan or his evolved forms. Same with Oshawott. But Snivey appeals to me, but his evolved forms doesn't. Has anyone just kept Snivey unevolved?

Scarftail

Neat & Tidy!
Years
I don't ditch my starter in my permanent save files, because it feels wrong. Why? Well, because it seems odd that the player character would box his/her first Pokemon that he/she received as a gift. Basically, it feels out of context with the story, despite no one mentioning your starter or your starter not really impacting the story beyond the professor's comments. If I ever do subsequent playthroughs by restarting my save files, it stops mattering to me since I end up wanting a little more variety.

Years
I have never ditch my first pokemon in any of my games, it stays with me all the way. The only time i put my starter in the poke box is/was during trades or hacthing a full team of 5 eggs. :)

Years
I actually might box my starter whenever I start my second playthrough of B/W2 since I feel like I've overused Oshawott's line, dislike Emboar design-wise, and have also overused Snivy's family. Might just make room for another type to replace my starter and see what that's like, since it's been a while since I actually ditched mine. XD;

Years
White2 was the first time I ever ditched my starter in the main story. I noticed that from about Clay onwards, I wasn't using my Emboar much, and he was about 6-7 levels lower than the rest of my team, so I boxed him for a while. I did bring him back for the plasma frigate near the end, though that was because I was in a grinding mood, and brought him up to level. but Fire/Fighting is fun at the start, but gets very boring, very fast. I even traded an oshawott egg in and evolved it completely.

though on another note, I do find the story in BW2 lacking compared to its predecessor, which is a shame, since BW's story was what interested me enough to but the sequel.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
Years
I almost never ditch my starter, the only time i actually ditched my starter was for a random pokemon challange. i just feel really bad because its my starter. Normally if i stop using my starter its after I have beat the e4.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I kept Emboar during the game buuut it's not my most used. While it was in my main team, at this point Swoobat is level 81 iirc, and Emboar is only 60-something, so chances are Swoobat will win out here lmao.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
I never ditch my starter, except one time I did to try to play without one.

I feel weird not having my starter on my team in playthroughs, so usually my team revolves around my starter, and most of the time, it's the strongest member of my team in level.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't like ditching my starter, I don't even know why but it's weird for me to play without them. :3 I'll probably do it once I restart some game.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
I ditched my Tepig as soon as I spent an hour finding a Riolu. Turned out very well though!

Years
i ditched my starter strait away since ive abused all 3 in the BW1 games, i just picked oshawatt for pokedex sake since i knew my friend picked tepig so i could use him for that in the pokedex, so since i chose oshawatt my rival took snivy and i didnt have to worry about the starters now. i kept the oshawatt in storage since ill probably level it and use it in WIFI at some point

Another thing about starters for me in that nowadays they tend to become my ace no matter how hard I try they just become the strongest so I ditch mine frequently

Last edited:
Back