• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you think HGSS lived up to the reputations of GSC?

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2012
They are a very solid remake in the spirit of the series, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing them. It felt as if someone had blown the dust off of the old manuscript that were the GBC versions and presented the story in a more clear and refined tone.

That being said, nothing can quite beat nostalgia - I still prefer the old ones for whatever reason. They're almost like two entirely different experiences, actually... the old ones are jumping into the world of my youth, but the new ones are like having that world refreshed for a new age... Then again, it's impossible for me as an adult to become so immersed as I once did.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Ohmygodohmygod!!! XD

Heart-Gold and Soul-Silver? BEST POKEMON GAMES EVER. Pokeathlon, improved Red Team, an AWESOME umbreon, AND a awesome Game Corner AND more! Who WOULDN'T say it isn't the best? I say it's the best.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Easily one of the best game ever in my opnion. I mean... Pokemon that follow you! *mychonny voice* HOW COOL IS THAT?! I loved Pokeathlon, i'm pretty good at it too. I think my best for relay run is 21 laps, pretty hectic. Red was different, but no TOO different, so the nostalgic feeling from GSC was still there. There so much to love about HGSS. ESPECIALLY the sprites. Some of the sprites in HGSS are even better than the one's that move in BW. One example is Charizard. HGSS? BEAST! BW? Three year old's work- animated. Another is Tyranitar. HE LOOKS COMPLETELY RETARDED IN BW. In HGSS he looks pretty cool. But yeah that's just some of the stuff I could think of. There's just an endless amount of content. SO MUCH FUN!

BiGoDeViN28

Psalm 141:3
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Unlike the rest of you, my nostalgia lies deep within RSE. But I still enjoyed HG/SS a lot. I never really got to enjoy GSC. I was too young and my siblings had dropped pokemon, so I followed. But the remakes gave me a chance to relive what I never got to. Like memories I never had. I liked it, and I can only hope that RSE remakes will have the same distinguished feel.

Years
HG/SS definitely lived up to G/S/C's reputation. They did a great job handling the new features and promised to keep all the nostalgia factor in for those who played G/S/C.

I never played G/S/C, but I liked HG/SS due to the improved 4th Gen graphics and the Pokeathlon was kinda fun.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
Yeah. FireRed/LeafGreen was just Red/Green/Blue/ with GBA graphics and the option to play as a female character. It had a post-game side quest, but it was boring compared to the the other games(and I disliked how I couldn't get Mewtwo until after I unlocked the national dex and explored the Sevii Islands). I also hated how it didn't include something to do outside of battles like Contests. Don't get me wrong, I still love this game.

HG/SS atcually took orginal story of G/S/C and expanded on it in a way that FR/LG failed to. It even added more fun side quests when it didn't need to(really, how many games can you travel through 2 regions in. There's a reason G/S/C spent a decade being considered the best series by many people).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I think it lived up to them and far exceeded them; the HGSS games were utter brilliance. I always saw GSC as being games that brought in lots of new intricate ideas and concepts to work with, really improving the franchise on the whole, which I believe HGSS did excellently. The following Pokémon, the Pokéathlon, the new Safari Zone, the Battle Frontier, and just everything about the games was so new and amazing and it felt like playing a really special game whilst playing HG. It certainly did live up to the reputations set by Gen II <3

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
HG/SS... wonderful remakes Gamefreak, good job :3! They definitely improved the classic GBC games. The graphics were stunning and all the new features were great! For example, the follow me feature :D, how awesome it was to have my Pokemon follow me around.

Soundtracks became more epic and gameplay really was enjoyable. The only thing I would probably dislike was the change of Kris. Her design in HG/SS, wasn't what I really expected and liked.

Years
When I was younger, the first Pokemon game for me to play through was Gold. The first one I actually played was Blue, and the first I actually owned was Yellow, but Gold was the first for me to catch a Pokemon in, to go on an adventure. And I loved it. For years and years and years, I played through it again and again, and it never got old. It's still not old for me, to this day.

In my opinion, HeartGold/SoulSilver were perfect remakes. They just.. knew exactly what they were doing, took all the good aspects from the originals, and mixed them with the great aspects of newer Pokemon games, such as the way the Running Shoes were given, the way the battle with Lance was actually a double battle, and so on. The way they brought a Legendary storyline into play was also very nice- back in GSC, they made it totally optional to capture the Legendary Pokemon, whereas in HGSS, while they take that option away, it was still.. better, somehow.

The increased level curve in Kanto, the addition of older Legendaries, the GB Player, the Battle Frontier.. it not only had a brilliant nostalgia factor, but it had massive playability. I mean I've yet to win properly at the Battle Frontier, so technically I've NOT finished HeartGold yet. It's just.. awesome. Awesome awesome. :D

Back