• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Magnius Guide to Pokemon Music Hacking

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
Huh, I have XP and I keep getting the "VbalComEx6.ocx" doesn't work. I've diowloaeded it, put it in System32, and it still doesn't work. So, I downloaded Sappy 2005 and it still doesn't work. Do, you know what might be wrong with it?

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
Huh, I have XP and I keep getting the "VbalComEx6.ocx" doesn't work. I've diowloaeded it, put it in System32, and it still doesn't work. So, I downloaded Sappy 2005 and it still doesn't work. Do, you know what might be wrong with it?

did you register it? (using command prompt, then using regsvr32)

I've never heard of this happening on xp. I had the same prob on vista, if you're getting that error, you probably need other files which I've included a link for you (along with a readme to help you out) http://www.4shared.com/file/109242904/4cfbc156/Needed_Sappy_Files.html

even after installing all of these, I still had problems with sappy. every time i would load a ROM, it would crash. Sappy 10 seems to work fine with these files though. Hope tis helps you with your problem.;)

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years

Don't use the download from here for Sappy (using the mid2AGB download is fine). Get Sappy from Elitemap's homepage.

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2009
I've tried this out and it works great so far, but I have a question regarding the 2005 version (which I'm forced to use as a vista user). It uses the format &####### when this tutorial and the voice group one use the format 0x######, which doesn't work for that version.

My question is, what exactly is the former format, and how does one convert between them?

Korronensu

Scrap Punk
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 28, 2010
Several songs I've assembled have had a strange effect on the roms they were assembled to... or more, a strange effect on Sappy while reading them... you see... when I press play on these specific songs (and it's very consistant, meaning it is something in the song) Sappy insta-shuts down without warning or error. I may as well have pressed X. How can I manipulate the midi files so they dont' have whatever attribute causes this?

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2019
hey.. i don't know if this is already posted but.. when i open sappy it works fine but when i try to open a rom.. it crashes
My OS is windows vista..

Korronensu

Scrap Punk
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 28, 2010
Okay, I solved my earlier problem, but now have a new question: How do you know what size space to reserve for your song if it happens to be longer than the original?

And also, how do I tell a song to repeat?

I set the song Phendrana Drifts From metroid prime in the game, but it only plays once before the game goes silent. How do I fix that?

Last edited:

Da GaMeFrEaK

Farmer/Swordsman
Years
My head hurts... I need assistance.

Okay... I got this "vbalCbEx.ocx" and my previous error requesting that file is now gone. However, there are two new errors, one indicating that the "ActiveX component can't create object", and another that says:

Failed to load control 'vbalCboEx' from vbalCbEx6.ocx. Your version of
vbalCbEx6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version
of the control that was provided with your application.

This doesn't make sense, given that Sappy didn't come with the
2006 version of vbalCbEx6.ocx when I downloaded it. I looked all over
the internet for this file, and didn't find anything. The first message...
I just don't get at all. All I want to do is import a custom song into my
FR hack... why do I need all these extra components?!?! FYI: I am
temporarily using a Vista computer. My home computer's OS is
XP. Would this have anything to do with my problem? Any advice would be
appreciated.

Da GaMeFrEaK

Farmer/Swordsman
Years
Let's see what I can do...

I've got error 339:

Component vbalCbEx6.ocx or one of its dependencies missing or invalid.

I've downloaded vbalCbEx6.ocx and am running Vista. Help?

(SWEET! MY FIRST QUOTE!!!!)

First of all, what are you trying to ask?
If you don't know how to get that file to work with Sappy, then I may be able to help.
When you downloaded "vbalCbEx6.ocx", I'm assuming it was a in a zipped folder. If so,
move the folder to your Sappy folder. Right-click on the folder, and click "extract here".
Hopefully you won't have the same problem that I do (See my last post). If that is the
case, then I can no longer help you.
If the error message keeps popping up, then check and see if the file you extracted
actually is named "vbalCbEx6.ocx". If it isn't, then go back to the site and make sure you are downloading the right one. If the file's name is "vbalCbEx6.ocx", then make sure
that the file is in the same folder as the Sappy program and all of the rest of its components. That is all I can do. Sorry:(.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Okay, I solved my earlier problem, but now have a new question: How do you know what size space to reserve for your song if it happens to be longer than the original?

And also, how do I tell a song to repeat?

I set the song Phendrana Drifts From metroid prime in the game, but it only plays once before the game goes silent. How do I fix that?

You need to loop it. Find the thread for GBA Music Looping by Clonex25.

Okay... I got this "vbalCbEx.ocx" and my previous error requesting that file is now gone. However, there are two new errors, one indicating that the "ActiveX component can't create object", and another that says:

Failed to load control 'vbalCboEx' from vbalCbEx6.ocx. Your version of
vbalCbEx6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version
of the control that was provided with your application.

This doesn't make sense, given that Sappy didn't come with the
2006 version of vbalCbEx6.ocx when I downloaded it. I looked all over
the internet for this file, and didn't find anything. The first message...
I just don't get at all. All I want to do is import a custom song into my
FR hack... why do I need all these extra components?!?! FYI: I am
temporarily using a Vista computer. My home computer's OS is
XP. Would this have anything to do with my problem? Any advice would be
appreciated.

I've got error 339:

Component vbalCbEx6.ocx or one of its dependencies missing or invalid.

I've downloaded vbalCbEx6.ocx and am running Vista. Help?

Okay this is for both of you. Go to the Elitemap homepage and download the Sappy from there since the one included in this tutorial doesn't include the runtime files and it seems Sappy will only work with the runtime files from the folder it was extracted from.

Hugo_Cool

Lucario's trainer
Years
You need to loop it. Find the thread for GBA Music Looping by Clonex25.

Okay this is for both of you. Go to the Elitemap homepage and download the Sappy from there since the one included in this tutorial doesn't include the runtime files and it seems Sappy will only work with the runtime files from the folder it was extracted from.

Well, I had that problem as well... and I went to the so called elitemap homepage (I really don't understand why do you call that site elitemap's homepage, cause the site link is : http://helmetedrodent.kickassgamers.com/index.php?module=listfiles ). After I downloaded and installed Sappy the program opened without any error!!
I was like OMG! OMG! I DID IT!!!
But when I was opening my FR rom the program crashed... And keeps on crashing when I try to open the rom... Can anyone help??? :x

P.S. I'm using VISTA

Last edited:

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
Sappy Suckss! the music always comes out sounding like shitt!
That my friend is your fault. If you put the time and effort into making the particular song sound good on the GBA it will not sound like "shitt". Most of the time if you straight take a midi and insert it, without any modification, it won't sound good. But if you take the time to learn what instruments sound good on the GBA, learn the GBA's limits and learn voicegroups and stuff, it can sound excellent. But yes, don't blame Sappy on your lack of knowledge.

I've tried this out and it works great so far, but I have a question regarding the 2005 version (which I'm forced to use as a vista user). It uses the format &####### when this tutorial and the voice group one use the format 0x######, which doesn't work for that version.

My question is, what exactly is the former format, and how does one convert between them?
Simple just change "0x" to "&H".

Years
After you press "Assemble that ugly thing!" Sappy says, "Done. Do you want to set the proper entry in the song table?"
When I hit yes, it stays there for a very long time. The longest I've waited was probably 2 hours.
Is something wrong with my Sappy?
I'm running the latest and greatest version if that helps.

Years
Uhhh... This is so annoying. I worked on a song for hours and sappy won't let me export the tracks even if I assemble one track from the song it won't let me export. Can I send the .s files to someone so I can the insert tracks into my fire red?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I have Windows XP. Whenever I try to assemble a song, it crashes. I heard someone say it has something to do with the "kernel32.dll". How do I fix this problem!!

Years
  • Seen Aug 26, 2011
When I drag my midi file to Mid2Agb tha black box jumps up as usual but I don't get any .s file HELP!

P.S Some midi files work but not the one i want to convert.

Back