• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

manly man?

Joel.Lion

Years
I am not a "manly man". And I don't really care...but should I? Do other people care, do you? :o Do females care about being "womanly women"\"girly girls". Should gender stereotypes from the older days be continued into the future?

Last edited:

Honest

Hi!
Years
"Be a man" can be so devastating to a child, especially with issues such as gender identity and stuff being extremely common. Personally? I like to think I have traits of both sexes. Weird to type, and I do think I'm more masculine than not, but ehhhh.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
My dad always tells me "be a man" whenever I can't do things that the stereotypical man should do such as lift heavy objects , touch dirty things with no care, and being brave. Most of the time it's in a joking matter , but sometimes he means it seriously and that's when it bothers me. I don't think being manly is the utmost important thing a male should be concerned about. If you want to and strive to be masculine then go ahead, but if you don't and prefer feminine stuff then that's fine too. I'm about 50 percent masculine and 50 percent feminine myself. There's just some typically masculine things I could never do or get into much such as sports and some typically feminine things that I love doing more such as shopping and fixing my hair more than most guys everyday.

Years
I don't really like gender stereotypes like that. Everyone is their own person and should not have to conform to general standards set by society. I might be a little biased though, because when I hear "manly man", I automatically picture a huge caveman with roid rage.
I'm much more soft-spoken and emotional than most guys I know, but I'm not entirely feminine. Gender stereotypes should disappear. People should be able to behave how they want without caring about their traditional standards in the world.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I drink beer (sometimes), I scratch myself and burp, I work in a warehouse lifting heavy things onto other heavy things. Occasionally I'll watch sports and I pee standing up so I think I'm already a manly man. Except for my overwhelming emotions and desire to please and my sassy comebacks and my passive aggressive attitudes.

ElGuapoAssassin

Lord Of Dragons
Years
  • Age 35
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 9, 2014
Appearance wise I'm the very definition of a manly man, being 6'4 with a full beard, covered in tattoos however I have a lot of non-manly interests such as my taste in movies and music and TV shows. However, who's to really say what's "manly" and what's not? I think that you shouldn't be judged on things like that, like liking a certain thing that isn't considered manly automatically makes you non-manly, that's why I just like what I like and don't listen to what anyone has to say about it, why should I care.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
"Manly man." That word. My dad used to say that word when I don't have enough courage.
When I was 8 years old. After I grew older, I realized that doesn't matter. If you try to do
the hard things or the things that you cannot to and pass it. That proves your manliness.
Which means being a manly man rates your courage not your interest or anything. And
I think that's my opinion. I'm not really sure about it :P

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'm not attracted to manly men. I think there's nothing more gross on a man than that macho crap. It's so unsophisticated and testosteroney

Outlier

I'm not attracted to manly men. I think there's nothing more gross on a man than that macho crap. It's so unsophisticated and testosteroney

^ Testosteroney {XD} Maybe I'm just immature but that made me giggle.

As for the topic. I'm definitely not what most would consider a manly man. It doesn't bother me though, I am who I am. I don't think there's anything wrong with being manly either. I just hate douche bags who take it too far try and assert themselves as the alpha male.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I've never understood this alpha male nonsense anyway lol, we're not a pack of wolves.

Nick, how is this beer thing working out for you? I drink premixed vodka drinks like a big girl because beer is the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted and I can only come to the conclusion that nobody actually likes the taste (because how could they?) and only drink it to appear more manly.

Years
"Being a man" has many different definitions, I really think it's up to discretion of the person on how they wish to "be a man"..

Years
This relates to the gender roles debate.
Currently we're transforming into a state of humanity where our independent genders are super-positioned between male and female.

I feel like currently you're more attractive if 75% of you doesn't conform to gender stereotypes. That's just how I feel about people. So don't stress, pretty sure soon equality will mean just that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I've never understood this alpha male nonsense anyway lol, we're not a pack of wolves.

Nick, how is this beer thing working out for you? I drink premixed vodka drinks like a big girl because beer is the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted and I can only come to the conclusion that nobody actually likes the taste (because how could they?) and only drink it to appear more manly.
The only kind of beer I really drink is Shocktop (because its the only one I actually tried). Raspberry Wheat is amazing. I'm sure I like others. My friends who drink regularly recommend these underground beers that they don't have advertised on TV that I'm interested in trying.

Years
I honestly would not mind if gender stereotypes were abolished. Probably won't happen for the longest while, but it would be lovely to me if they were.

Then again, I was one who grew up and couldn't get away with things the guys in my family could because "that's not lady-like of you." Can't wear that, should wear this, can't act like that because it's not how a girl "should" act. I remember it being extremely frustrating to me. I've never been much of a "girly girl" - have no desire to be. I've had some people try to care for me regarding that, but it's like...if I don't care about it, then why do you?

I'd rather a place where people can act like they want and like what they want instead of having to conform to a stereotype or else get mocked for it.

Years
I think the definition of being "manly" is having the ability to argue well. If you can justify yourself as manly, then who's telling you you aren't? Same goes for "womanly". Just be assertive and clear.

Back