• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the most frustrated you've been playing Pokémon?

Years
As gamers, we tend to get frustrated at most games out there. I'm sure Pokémon is no exception. What are some terrible experiences you've had playing Pokémon?

What i'm gonna mention isn't a tale of missing out on a shiny or what not. Instead, i'm gonna talk about a bad time I had back in December. In a Wedlocke (a Nuzlocke variant) that I was doing on my secondary copy of X with some difficult extra rules that I was doing over on Marriland, I was in Victory Road, and I had just lost my Lucario due to a bad judgment in an optional trainer fight. Then another optional trainer fight who I was initially going to avoid, I led with my Chesnaught knowing full well the trainer had a Magcargo. I killed it with Earthquake, then she had a Scizor. Because I was on the Set battle style, I had to give her a free turn to switch in my Blastoise. I did over half with Dark Pulse after Mega Evolving, and she used X-Scissor, which was a critical hit on the first hit. Just like that, the first death to a critical hit the whole challenge, and my only answer to Malva and Wikstrom was gone. I had no other female Pokémon I could replace her with that would do that job.

I wanted to quit, and people who were making their first posts in that thread of mine were saying, "oh, you have to keep going, Wedlockes are about luck". I was on the verge of an anxiety attack, losing my mind with no idea of who to go with. So I terminated the challenge, and next thing you know, there were a few people being either crybabies or flat-out jerks.

Why that gave me such a hard time was because I was being flacked by people who not only didn't support me at all throughout the challenge I did, but aren't even Nuzlockers themselves. One of them was an admin giving me a hard time. What kind of behavior is that?!

I came this close to quitting challenges for good after that. So what has been your most unpleasant time playing Pokémon? Discuss.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
The experience you went through sounds horrible.... I hope some nicer people tried to support you afterward!

The most frustrated I got while playing pokémon was when I was young and stupid, and I was playing through Emerald. Basically, I was extremely underleveled, and I ended up losing all of my money to the Elite Four, so I was stuck. I ended up having to fight the Elite Four over and over again until i was strong enough.

I was also really frustrated (again, when I was much younger) when i first started looking into online pokémon communities. I didn't realize that it wasn't really possible to have all your favorite pokémon on a team and be a competitive battler at the same time. I found that a lot of players have a kind of "certain pokémon just plain suck" mentality that goes against what the stories and characters of the games actually talk about.

Of course I see why it's dumb to worry about that now, but back then I didn't.

Years
@OP: Those people should do a Wedlocke themselves and see how difficult it is :< Sucks you had to go through that ;;

I think the most frustrated I've been was when I tried taking on the E4 in Gold in my early days of Pokemon. I was young and not all that great at Pokemon, and I could never figure out why the heck I couldn't win. I ended up restarting the game quite a few times, hoping that'd make a difference; I eventually did beat the E4, but only with the help of an older person (who was also more experienced) and some Pokemon they traded to me. I also found myself frustrated when playing Yellow (my first game); for the longest time I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do after beating Erika and constantly reset thinking I missed something vital early on.

As for recent frustrations, the only thing I can think of is trying to Masuda Method a shiny. I don't know my Shiny Value at this time, so I've had to hatch eggs for a shiny the longer way. I also feel like I'm one of those people who has the worst luck with shinies. I'm well aware that isn't the case, but whenever I see someone say, "Oh I got this after 50 eggs," or, "Oh I got this in the first batch," I tend to think that really is the case |D;; (Also, to date, I've never hatched a shiny via MM.)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Just moving this over to Pokemon Gaming Central, since it's a topic exclusively dealing with the games.

- moved

Braxien

Banned
Years
This is quite an obvious answer to questions like these - Shiny Pokémon. I was once playing Pokémon Black, and encountered a Shiny Lillipup. I had threw my Pokéball and it began to shake. However, I knew that my DS was low on charge but I was going to risk it. You can probably predict what happened next; on the final shake of the Pokéball, my DS turned off. Luckily, I soon found a Shiny Deino near the end of the game so that was compensation, ahah. :)

Years
I never really had many of these experiences, but the first one that came to mind was shiny Pokemon. I've had several encounters with them throughout the 11 years I have been playing Pokemon, and most resulted in successful captures but there was one that I missed out on due to a stupid mistake on my part, a Boldore in Twist Mountain when I was playing Black. I ran from it by misclicking, and it was a shame because I do think they look better shiny compared to the normal coloring.

Thankfully I did catch a shiny Drilbur in Chargestone Cave a while later for compensation.

And while playing X, I did various attempts to try and get a shiny via Poke Radar chaining but I always mess up at some point even when I'm not expecting if my chain broke or not. I did get one successful shiny from this method, an orange flower Flabebe on Route 7. I really wanted to use her but when I went to check her statistics in the PC, my jaw dropped when I noticed she had an Impish nature, which is terrible for special-based attackers, and I know the Flabebe line are primarily special-based. The Defense boost is okay, but yeah it was sad I had a nice shiny but one with a sucky nature.

At least one of my other shinies, a Remoraid caught on Route 12, does have a Modest nature which is acceptable for its stats. So yeah it's not all terrible.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I've lost to Elite Four Lucian around 4-5 times in a row...I lost to him so much that I basically rage quit Pokemon Platinum for weeks. I came back to battle him, lost again, flipped multiple desks and never came back. It sucks, especially considering that I know a lot about the fourth generation games, yet not enough to beat him.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
losing my entire team to a Shiftry that abused Double Team. This was back in Emerald, with that one trainer past Mt. Pyre. I made sure to avoid him the next time.

Nothing will ever enrage me more than that moment. xD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've lost to Elite Four Lucian around 4-5 times in a row...I lost to him so much that I basically rage quit Pokemon Platinum for weeks. I came back to battle him, lost again, flipped multiple desks and never came back. It sucks, especially considering that I know a lot about the fourth generation games, yet not enough to beat him.

I've had to go through the same, exact thing once, but only with Clair. When I'd first faced her in Silver, I had no idea what Pokémon she'd be using, and was completely unprepared. She managed to take down my entire team pretty easily with her Dragonair. Tried to get her beaten a few more times, but still no luck. Then, I finally decided to train my Pokémon more, and after that after that, I finally managed to defeat her, somehow. Even then, I still had to use some recovery items. She was so tough, it's just... simply un-explainable, haha.

Years
Jumping into competitive battling, not knowing what i was getting in to. Now I have to breed for IVs, train for EVs, pokemon just isn't the same for me now

Froslass

Ice Champion
Years
Mine would probably Lorelei from the Elite Four...I hadn't really come prepared for her and my Pokemon were definitely weaker than hers. Defeating the Dewgong was difficult enough for me, but facing the Jynx was too much. I never could get past this woman, I ended up restarting the game because I was somehow incredibly weak. Ended up getting past her first try, but it sure did take a while.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Jumping into competitive battling, not knowing what i was getting in to. Now I have to breed for IVs, train for EVs, pokemon just isn't the same for me now

Oh, same here; getting into competitive scene was pretty difficult for me, too. It's good that I had a friend to guide me, though; if it weren't for him, it would've been much tougher.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
When I lose to Ingo and Emmet in the Battle Subway, or lose to the Champion after beating the E4 I'd always be annoyed. All that progress I made needs to be done all over again. That's the frustrating part.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When I lose to Ingo and Emmet in the Battle Subway, or lose to the Champion after beating the E4 I'd always be annoyed. All that progress I made needs to be done all over again. That's the frustrating part.

I always make sure to save after defeating last Elite Four, so that when it comes to facing Champion, I could always restart if I wind up losing. This way, I'd be saving myself a lot of trouble. Have been doing this ever since generation three, and it never ceases to work.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
Mine wasn't in a playthrough, but online in a Black/White wifi match.

You can probably tell how this goes after the first line, but I'll type at least 4 sentences here.

I play doubles, and this guy led with a Blissey and Dusclops. First bit he started doing? Minmize. Then came the trick room. Toxics. Soon his chansey had +6 Evasion. I had no phase, no haze, and the battle felt like it was gonna go on for days. I managed to land a hit with a bisharp I believe; on the Blissey. Softboiled. The Dusclops had pressure, and was holding an eviolite I'm sure. It knew Spite, Pain Split, and Will O Wisp. I remember putting the DS down and picking up my 360 controller without exiting the battle. I stayed in, but he had to wait the full 60 second command time for every one of my moves to auto-select.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
My mos frustrating moment was playing Sapphire (the ROM since I never had the chance to play the originals) - I could never find the entrance to Sootopolis City - I spent 3 months surfing and Diving, and of course all the Tentacool that show up didn't help, never found the entrance. I eventually had to cheat to find the entrance

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
I would say finding shiny Pokemon is the most frustrating thing to do in Pokemon. It's not too hard in X and Y though. Also picking Charmander when playing Pokemon Red was very frustrating. Why did the first Gym have to be a Rock Type Gym?

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Going to agree with the post above me. Picking charmander blew. Facing Whitney in gsc made me want to die. I was young and really had no idea what I was doing and most of my Pokemon were weak to rock types. She knocked me out so many times with rollout. It also took me forever to figure out how to even walk in the ecruteak city gym. Facing Norman's Slaking was also aggravating for me sometimes. Lucian of the sinnoh elite four was a pain the ass. Always had trouble with his Bronzong.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
The most frustrating thing in pokemon? Trying to catch Azelf. Need I say more? That thing is like a brick wall.

Another time was when I kept losing to the elite 4 in Pokemon Silver.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
The most frustrating thing in pokemon? Trying to catch Azelf. Need I say more? That thing is like a brick wall.

Another time was when I kept losing to the elite 4 in Pokemon Silver.

Trying to capture Azelf was a major pain, I agree. Last time I had encountered it one-on-one, which was a couple of years ago in Pokémon Platinum, I was required to use about 80 Ultra Balls and 30 Dusk to finally have it caught. Had it on its lowest possible health (and also paralyzed), and regardless of how hard I've tried, it would simply refuse to stay inside. Mesprit and Uxie weren't as tough, so I wonder why they decided to make this one stand out like that?

Back