• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Involvement with the Forum

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I do like this idea :) I think it would be nice to help out the staff in this way, and could be a great way to get members more involved in the forums and it sounds kinda fun actually.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I think it's a great idea for people to start feeling more than just the average forum posters and they can feel like they're really helping in contributing something to the forum.

But what kind of responsibility and organization are we talking about here? What do you guys have in mind?

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
Years
I don't think it would be related whatsoever to modding. If we're going to do that, we might as well mod them, right?

That being said, a different rank would make sense to me. This could be a rank you applied to, like a permanent EO, but without a badge because we already have so many especially when GT rolls around. It could give you access to an Events/Competitions forum, where you can plan out events in whatever section, see if other people want to help you with it, and get the final okay from the mods of that section/hstaff.

Sorry if this is a bit to read, and maybe too much irrelevant information involved, but this suggestion has brought on a bout of nostalgia and made me miss a couple of responsibilities I had a few years ago.

I was a long time member of a gaming forum, in which I eventually got position of Mod and SuperMod. Eventually, I was also given responsibility of running the Event Section, and then after that, I quit my SuperMod position but kept the Event Section, effectively seperating it from the Mod Team permanently, except in cases where moderation of posts and the like was needed, as I didn't get to keep my moderation abilities. We had a 'Judge Team' that was a hand-picked group of dedicated members that would assist in perusing entries of Events and Competitions and, using set points... Umm, wow this bit is harder to explain than I thought. Let me give an example. As the leader of this Judge Team, it was my job to organise and help the judges in their decisions. I would set up a discussion thread, and a seperate judging thread for the event in question. In the judging thread, I would give the judges a form to fill out. An example would be, if the event was a writing event:
Name of Entrant:
Link to Entry:
Grammar and Spelling: (out of 5)
Ease of Reading: (out of 10)
Depth of Writing: (out of 10)
Fulfills Rules and Event Requirements: Yes/No (out of 2)
Then the score would be added together (out of 27), and an average found of all the judges scores for an entry, leaving out the lowest and highest scores (similar to the Olympics, to help with any bias). In the form itself, I would help the members fill out each section by supplying a few questions, like 'How easy was the writing to read?', 'Did the writing flow smoothly, or jump around a lot without direction?' (for Ease of Reading) and 'Did the writer set the environment and characters well?' (for Depth of Writing). It was also my job to tally up the scores, announce the winners and provide general entertainment for the judge team when we were low on work (and/or to provide more incentive to keep coming back).

Although bias is difficult to completely stamp out, I would like to think the team was mostly unbiased and intelligent, and any bias that did show would have been cancelled out with the above methods. The main job for the Judge Team was to judge events created by the gaming company (so the admin didn't have to do it on his own), but eventually, other members that created their own events would ask the team for help, either handing over the judging to us completely, or working with us (they would choose the winner, and we would judge the runners up).

I know this sounds like a lot of complicated, hard work, but for me, it was the most fun I had for a long time. I would go back, if I knew anyone that was still on that forum. But I do see that the Judge Team is still going strong, and it makes me proud. I miss all that quite a lot, actually.

Hmm, after all that writing, I'm not even really suggesting this idea for this forum, because different things work for different forums, but I just wanted to spill a bit and give an example of how giving more responsibilty to members can really do wonders for a community. (This forum also had a correspondents team, a group of people that wrote articles about the game and forum, did interviews with popular members and other such things, I haven't really had a good look around here, so I don't know if there is something similar..)

Thanks for powering through all that...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
In the particular section where I am active, the Roleplay Corner, we already do this I think. The mod is responsible for modding (of course) and keeping the rules fresh and letting us know when new threads are accepted.

But we also have Roleplay Awards every third month that is usually mainly managed by another member (Skymin helps though) and I myself am responsible for a Roleplay Library to keep track of active RPs. And now and then during holidays or special times, members can be allowed to hold special competitions, and we are at all times allowed to submit guides to Skymin, to help people understand how to RP and write and things like that.

Then again, a roleplay section gives a lot of responsibility to every member by default, especially those who manage and contribute to the roleplays as Game Masters.

I just want to explain why I feel like members can already be as responsible and active as they want to be. Again, my view is in much due to me hanging around a very interactive section. But even in other sections, I've always felt like if you do have a great idea for something like Razor Leaf suggests, you can pitch the idea to the mod and there is every chance that it becomes reality. Things that may up activity in sections are mostly always welcome, right?

So imo, this is not a thing that deepens some sort of cleft between staff and nonstaff. Mods mod, admins administer, and all staff - just like any member - can help the section by events and activities. It's just that, as a mod, you are also somewhat expected to be active in extra stuff apart from modding.

ClumzyTrainR13

Storm Caster
Years
Imo, greater member involvement is great. Similar to others, I kinda feel like we should be more active as a group, and participate in more large-scale events on the forum. Members here seem to singularly take part in their own activities and interests, and it's what I think sort of separates us as a whole. So, in the end, I would recommend maybe some events that could seep into the interests of near everyone one the forum? Something that could become a large-scale event that everyone talks about and discusses? I don't know, it could possibly be some form of a competition that gets the entire forum excited and everyone loves that could set us apart from other forums of a similar purpose? This is my point of view on this topic, and I just think it would be awesome if we could do something like this :D

Guy

just a guy
Years
I don't think it would be related whatsoever to modding. If we're going to do that, we might as well mod them, right?

That being said, a different rank would make sense to me. This could be a rank you applied to, like a permanent EO, but without a badge because we already have so many especially when GT rolls around. It could give you access to an Events/Competitions forum, where you can plan out events in whatever section, see if other people want to help you with it, and get the final okay from the mods of that section/hstaff.
Not that it's a bad idea, but when I was discussing this with Razor Leaf yesterday, that isn't exactly what I had in mind. Personally, I feel like having people apply for a certain rank in order to contribute ideas or host events seems like over complicating a relatively simple thing. It's a lot easier and less restricting for members who have ideas or want to host their own event(s) in a forum to talk the moderator of that forum or higher staff about it first. Otherwise, what if a member has a good idea, but because they don't have an impressionable application to do it, the idea goes to waste or someone else takes it and does it instead? It just seems too restricting in my opinion when we should be more open to doing something like this while assisting them in the process if need be.

I just want to explain why I feel like members can already be as responsible and active as they want to be. Again, my view is in much due to me hanging around a very interactive section. But even in other sections, I've always felt like if you do have a great idea for something like Razor Leaf suggests, you can pitch the idea to the mod and there is every chance that it becomes reality. Things that may up activity in sections are mostly always welcome, right?
I agree with this.

I also want members to know that we encourage them to come talk to us about these things and let their ideas be acknowledged rather than forgotten. To know that they can do more if they want to and we can help them out too. Anything that allows people to come together and contribute to the forum in ways of boosting its activity while enjoying what they're doing is always welcome in my opinion.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Not that it's a bad idea, but when I was discussing this with Razor Leaf yesterday, that isn't exactly what I had in mind. Personally, I feel like having people apply for a certain rank in order to contribute ideas or host events seems like over complicating a relatively simple thing. It's a lot easier and less restricting for members who have ideas or want to host their own event(s) in a forum to talk the moderator of that forum or higher staff about it first. Otherwise, what if a member has a good idea, but because they don't have an impressionable application to do it, the idea goes to waste or someone else takes it and does it instead? It just seems too restricting in my opinion when we should be more open to doing something like this while assisting them in the process if need be.

The thing with that is, that's...already a thing, isn't it? When I was a member and wanted to do an event I PMed the mod of that section or hstaff if there wasn't one and got it approved, and I've seen plenty of members do the same thing around the forum. Are you suggesting then just making it more well-known that that's a thing that we encourage?

Guy

just a guy
Years
The thing with that is, that's...already a thing, isn't it? When I was a member and wanted to do an event I PMed the mod of that section or hstaff if there wasn't one and got it approved, and I've seen plenty of members do the same thing around the forum. Are you suggesting then just making it more well-known that that's a thing that we encourage?
Yeah, that's about the gist of it. I don't think a lot of members are really aware that we can allow them to do more things in a forum that a moderator would otherwise be responsible of doing.

Melody

Banned
Years
This sounds like a wonderful idea in my opinion. It would certainly make participating in the community more actively a lot easier, especially if we can easily tap into the staff for promotion of our approved events and just make for a better experience in the dry spells between events like GTs or CommDays or whatever other events are held by staff on any regular basis. This would also serve to help members to stand out from the crowd, and maybe contribute more even if they don't feel they'll ever be modded. I certainly feel that way.

This would also be a great idea, and optionally a usergroup such as this would be useful to distinguish those members who are actively planning events and even grant temporary and limited thread moderation abilities, if necessary for operation of the event, to users. This wouldn't necessarily need to have a differentiating color or font style for usernames, but it could especially in cases where power is given over a small subsection in order to run an event in the case of there not being an active on-staff moderator who would normally preside over the event.

I wouldn't mind seeing more involvement. I've been sort of put off by the very same post-and-go vibe PC seems to have, as EternallyAnna put it. Anything meaty gets shot down or ignored outside of the one serious discussions forum, and it's not very stimulating. Maybe that's just the nature of the audience? In that case, perhaps we should start doing activities that would actually excite the audience enough to do more than post in/start another list topic(s)?

I certainly would welcome a little bit more involvement than just the post and go atmosphere at times, especially because it would entice more people to stay around longer. It sucks to see good friends quit PC because they've become absolutely bored with the place, and I've always thought it would be nice if I could come up with some way to contribute to the community in a way to combat that problem.

Last edited:

Toko

Forest Dweller
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2021
I also think it is a good idea. I'm an example of dwindling involvement on PC. :D (Though my reason is work related stuff. The site is a great place ;)
I still think it would be beneficial to let people carry more responsibility and maybe give them a bit more freedom in how they can add to the site, I think it would probably pull them back on here more often because they'll feel like their input actually counts.

Of course, everything still needs to remain in order and you can't have everyone just doing what they want, so I hope it is possible to find a middle ground on this.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
If you want to get involved more; you're perfectly welcome to approach a staff member about hosting a competition, sharing an idea, offering to host a new claim thread, or offering a suggestion. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to do this, so hopefully this thread shows that a bit more.

The responsibility you gain is relative to the initiative you take.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
It's one thing to have initiative, but it's another to actually get people behind you on it as well. It gets discouraging after a while when people are all over the place, but never really committed to anything aside from whatever they're already doing, which I again think has more to do with the general atmosphere of the board.

It's like being at a concert where you all like the same band (in theory), but everyone's in a bubble messing around with their iPhones or something tuning everything else out. That's why I'd like to see more involvement, there's a lot of potential here, but it's just scattered all over without a lot of unification. Aside from the fan games/hacks and RPs, but that's about it.

droomph

weeb
Years
It's one thing to have initiative, but it's another to actually get people behind you on it as well. It gets discouraging after a while when people are all over the place, but never really committed to anything aside from whatever they're already doing, which I again think has more to do with the general atmosphere of the board.

It's like being at a concert where you all like the same band (in theory), but everyone's in a bubble messing around with their iPhones or something tuning everything else out. That's why I'd like to see more involvement, there's a lot of potential here, but it's just scattered all over without a lot of unification. Aside from the fan games/hacks and RPs, but that's about it.

Well, we'd like to change that, huh?

I think that if you just host it alone for the first few runs, people will start to recognize if it's good or not, and they'll start pitching in. It's like hosting anything - if you wanna, you gotta start it by yourself.

Melody

Banned
Years
Well, we'd like to change that, huh?

I think that if you just host it alone for the first few runs, people will start to recognize if it's good or not, and they'll start pitching in. It's like hosting anything - if you wanna, you gotta start it by yourself.

Yeah, but that's still super discouraging to those who WANT to try but don't have the confidence or the patience to try and fail a few times.

This is a good point. Everyone sticks around to their own preferred section, and quite frankly, that's how some of our subforums end up feeling kind of 'cliquey' and intimidating to users, especially the new ones.

If you want to get involved more; you're perfectly welcome to approach a staff member about hosting a competition, sharing an idea, offering to host a new claim thread, or offering a suggestion. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to do this, so hopefully this thread shows that a bit more.

The responsibility you gain is relative to the initiative you take.

But this leaves out anyone and everyone who is simply too intimidated to approach staff about such things. Not to mention anyone who may have a good idea, but just needs help to work out the kinks and otherwise make it happen.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I know in Fourth Gen I'v eset up an events suggestion thread, (albeit not a lot of replies), where any member can suggest ideas for future events in the section. I might actually make it simply an ideas plus feeback thread, because I'd also like to hear some possible improvements that could be made to 4th Gen. Within these threads I've been given a few event ideas that I've discussed with their owners, and have been slowly planning their release. More importantly, I've let those who suggested the event, host it themselves (that includes creating the content of the thread (which I'll look through/correct if need be), because it wouldn't be fair if I hosted it, because well...it wasn't my idea.

But anyway, I'm getting off-topic.

What I'm really trying to get to here is, that we've already started from some sort of a platform. There are already ways which members can acquire more responsibility than simply posting and running off to the next section. Perhaps if we can find a way to emphasise that there are opportunities out there. In saying that, perhaps every section should create more of these oppotunities by creating an event suggestion thread of their own? Plus the thread will in a way, lessen the hesistation of a member to suggest their idea(s) because they wouldn't be discussing it with that staff member directly.

In regards to a permanent rank...I'm a little iffy on that. Essentially, if we're picking moderators to moderate, which is causing a gap between moderator and member contriution, then surely if we're promoting certain members to a 'EO rank' permanently that will only cause another gap between members with no responsibility, member with responsibility and then moderators. It will only chop the gap into pieces, rather than reducing it. (But that's just me)

I'm all up for this 100%. Just not through ranks.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I'd like to mention that A&D already has something like this going on now.

Jetstream9777, with assistance from Kriegstein, launched a PC fakedex project, which had nothing to do with myself or Derozio. It was a good idea and he went for it, and now it's evolved into quite the exciting little pseudo-event. I suppose it's relevance to this conversation depends on how you view things, but I'm looking at this project more like an actual "PC Pokedex" not just a fakedex for someone's personal gain.

My point is, member involvement in different sections already exists, but more is always better. I'd love it if more members became involved. :) I think one thing that will be invaluable would be to increase the flow of communication between members and staff.

All that said, I'm going to agree with Curious on ranks. Maybe it's just me, but it kind of sounds like we'd be rewarding members for being active.. which we already have methods in place to do so, you know? That, and I feel like it would bring "members closer to staff", as opposed to bringing "staff closer to members", if that makes any sense.

droomph

weeb
Years
I feel that...I dunno, my opinion is different than most people's here. I understand that a lot of people in this thread are worried that creating a new rank would further "distance" that gap between member and staff but...I dunno, maybe it's just me who thinks it'll have no real effect at all? I don't mean to be impeding on anything (and I apologize if I am), but you already have "supporters", who, in theory, already create that gap. The only difference is that it's probably easier to get to supporter than EO (depending on the prerequisites for that usergroup).

I guess the general point being is that it won't make a difference one way or another. I feel that that the rank would be creating more incentive for members to participate in organizing events, in the same way that the supporter ranks/perks create incentives for people to donate. Think of it in that light, and perhaps it'll become a bit easier to swallow? xD
Yeah, and additionally, for those of us who don't have money to spend, this would be another way to get that colored username without using a credit card :) if they get all the perks (such as VIP, or blogs) I wouldn't care - after all, what good is the money if nobody makes use of the things it's buying?

So I dunno… I was thinking that this would be a way to get a VIP 3-5 as a reward without using money or luck, but for hard work. And trust me, back before I got my debit card and thus couldn't donate, I would have pretty much become a slave without any complaint if it meant to get that blue name :p

Last edited:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
So I dunno… I was thinking that this would be a way to get a VIP 3-5 as a reward without using money or luck, but for hard work. And trust me, back before I got my debit card and thus couldn't donate, I would have pretty much become a slave without any complaint if it meant to get that blue name :p

I highly doubt that you'll get a Supporter VIP card/whatever for organising what could just be a one-off event...........

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Isn't the point of this whole thing that members have more freedom/better attitudes to helping around the forums/organising events, rather than doing stuff in order to work towards a supporter rank?
Not to mention that the majority of the people who would honestly get off their asses and help probably have a supporter rank anyway.

Back