• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collen

I have returned.
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2015
Fee Nicks: Looks okay, but I can't really tell with it being so small and not in-game. Actually, the shape sort of reminds me of America. A little bit of criticism: The mountains to the left look out-of-place a bit. I guess it's just odd having mountains run into the ocean like that.

Now, for my map:
Name: Deep Valley Route
Hack: PKMN Shadowed Dawn
Base: Firered
Comments: My first map in this hack. Credits go to the Grassyledge guy and the tree guy (for the stump). The grass was made by me. The rest was made by Nintendo.

WARNING: HUGE IMAGE
Spoiler:

I'm aware of an error on the right coast.

Fee Nicks

TekMage
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 12, 2011
Collen: Huh. I kinda don't really know how to approach this map. I'd really have to see the routes it connects to, as right now it seems a bit...plain? I certainly like the design, even if those sideways staircases seem really wonky to me. What I do have to say is that the mountain tops look really odd, even if they do fade into the grass like that. It's also really odd how there's just that space all along the bottom; the trees just look rather odd not being right against the water. It looks like it'd be a very good map to actually go through (especially given that it's the first in the hack), but it doesn't have the same complexity that some of the other maps I've seen have. You pull off the simple look rather nicely, I'll have to say.

So I kinda know how to approach it. Huh.

Now...
Might as well say that this is for FireRed, and that... well, it's a slight revision of the map I put up a few days ago. I also attempted a border of sorts, but it's really iffy at the moment:

[Non ingame one in spoiler, at 2x].
View attachment 59375

Collen

I have returned.
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2015
Once again, a pretty cool map. It's amazing that you got it in the game.
However, I am a bit curious as to where all the paths will be, and how many mountain areas there will be, since it seems to be a big feature in the map.

Name: Route 1
Base: Fire Red
Hack: Pokemon Shadowed Dawn
Comment: This is the first route in the game. It contains the first wild Pokemon from Gen 1 and Gen 2. This is a basic route connecting your town (Charis Village) and the next town (Dial Town).

Spoiler:

Neti

Inactive
Years
Once again, a pretty cool map. It's amazing that you got it in the game.
However, I am a bit curious as to where all the paths will be, and how many mountain areas there will be, since it seems to be a big feature in the map.

Name: Route 1
Comment: This is the first route in the game. It contains the first wild Pokemon from Gen 1 and Gen 2. This is a basic route connecting your town (Charis Village) and the next town (Dial Town).

Spoiler:

To start off with the layout:
For a first route its pretty conservative: The first you pass it youll have to go through a lot of high grass, but when you go back you can just jump over the edge without encountering many pokemon.
but thats not bad, for a first route its just right.

still there are some things i dislike:
1. The tree placement
your trees are perfectly lined up. That doenst look very natural.
check my natural mapping tut to see how to make it better: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=4411354
btw i learned this style of tree placement from disturbed back in the days when he just started mapping^^
2. High Grass Placement:
Its basically the same thing as with the trees... leave some free spaces inside the grass to make it look more naturally. but all in all the shapes are nice.
3. The "normal" grass:
You used the same tile for the normal grass all over the map. You should vary this because it really doesnt look very good.

What I like is the shape of the map and that you put some smaller trees and flowers into it. not too many and not too few. but maybe yould consider adding some rocks too.

thats basically it!
im not gonna give a numeric rating cause i havent been here for a long time.
just consider changing the things i pointed out and youll have a good map.

cheers

Collen

I have returned.
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2015
So, since you didn't post a map, and I've already rated the map above that...
so, I guess that means free map. I'll edit a rating in if I'm supposed to.

Name: Charis Village
Comment: This is your home town, the place you start in. I tried to stick with the normal home town look, but it's different then the games because it's not in a square- I've never liked that look anyway.
Slogan: Where shining stars come to rest.
Spoiler:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
Elite Charizard
Im not particularly great at rating maps However at the risk of sounding like a idiot, you may depending on the routes before and after this want to force the player through some long grass (if there are few trainers). Also I think there may be a tile error in the far left centre of the map. Aside from that this map looks like great fun to play...
9/10

Now my map:
Rom base: Fire Red
Map is in the attachments
Comments: this is the 3rd city you encounter on the game. Please don't be to harsh this is first time i have mapped a city (despite mapping a few routes)

Attachments

• pewter city.jpg
    pewter city.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 113

Lyzak

wishes he had a Hacking Team
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012
Name: Windstrong Town
Game: Nirvana
Comments: First and last town of Nirvana, as I'm not working on it anymore. Favorite map so far, full natural style, haters of natural style don't look at it, or QQ.
Credits: Kyledove, zein and me, Novus, GFreak, Wesley (for the revamped house), Laz and Zeikku (for just being there)
[map missing from new user restrictions]

P.S Yeah, I see that tile mistake in the big house's bench.

To this map, I have a few words. Firstly, well done with the trees. The look realistic in most places, although in truth it will be eons before anyone REALLY fits the perfect "naturalist" mold. In the meantime, you have a variety of "species" and sizes and positions to add a bit of randomness.

As for the town itself... that's another story. Firstly, it's cramped. I understand that in a small town, you might be going for a more intimate setting, in terms of spatial relations, but it just looks too tightly cramped. The paths are small and often not very linear, which is how a path should look. Your paths look like extensive patios that cover the entire town. In full, you might want to consider expanding the town slightly, straightening and conforming the path, and maybe organize the town a bit more.

Finally, that pool... just sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm sorry, it's a nice effect in theory, but I just don't think it fits.
For nature, I give it a 9.5/10
For urban planning, I give it a 4/10
For other graphics, I would have given it a 10/10 if it hadn't been for that pool.

Now, onto another review.

Rom base: Fire Red
Map is in the attachments
Comments: this is the 3rd city you encounter on the game. Please don't be to harsh this is first time i have mapped a city (despite mapping a few routes)

First off, for a simple Pewter City remake, it's not all that bad. However, here is a list of things you should know:
1) The raised terrain looks forced and unnecessary. Why is there a small mountain in there? It sticks right out.
2) The path just south of the "mountain" gets clipped by the flower placement.
3) Speaking of flowers, tone em down a bit. Use them in isolated patches to add some flare, but don't surround an entire mountain with them for the sake of surrounding an entire mountain with them.
4) Grass on the top terrace of a "mountain" tile base with the north side visible has always been a problem. Avoid this if possible, as you suddenly transition from grass to rock, which is a poor visual contrast and not all that realistic.
5) In terms of city planning, the Pokemon Center is not the highlight of the town. It should not be raised up on a pedestal like it is. Also, generally speaking, it should be in close proximity to the Pokemon Mart (with some exceptions)

---
---

Hope those reviews helped! I have no maps of my own made, as I'm still planning my hack out. Also, I will definitely be wanting custom tilesets, and the detail that has been put into some of the maps here in terms of tiles puts my pixel art to shame.

Moral of the story, I'ma gona need a professional spriter and tiler. And programmer. And other digital artists.

Moral of the story, Pokémon Symphonic needs a team. Join me. >=3
-Lyzák

Last edited:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
No map in front of me except my own and one i have all ready rated so im going to go ahead and post my own map again (if there is a map that needs rating some one Pm and ill edit it in)

The attached map is my second go at pewter city, I have made the "small mountain" smaller so it does not stick out. Fixed multiple tile errors (there are probably still more). Removed lots of flowers, and generally rearranged the city to make the gym in the centre of attention... think that covers everything...

See attached.

Attachments

• Pewter city.jpg
    Pewter city.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 62

Lyzak

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012
No map in front of me except my own and one i have all ready rated so im going to go ahead and post my own map again (if there is a map that needs rating some one Pm and ill edit it in)

The attached map is my second go at pewter city, I have made the "small mountain" smaller so it does not stick out. Fixed multiple tile errors (there are probably still more). Removed lots of flowers, and generally rearranged the city to make the gym in the centre of attention... think that covers everything...

See attached.

This time around you moved some buildings to better fit a city plan, but there are still some problems. The raised land still looks a bit forced, and doesn't really fit the theme of a city surrounded by pine trees.

Speaking of pine trees, I noticed some shadow errors. Look at your trees careful to find some tiles that should be swapped out for tree parts without shadows.

Also, I noticed some problems using Stair tiles. The stair tiles you use for the Pokémon Center Mart are non-shaded ones, when they should be shaded. Meanwhile, down at the Pokémon Gym, you have used all shaded ones, which looks off. Only the left-most stair tile in a width of stairs should be "shaded" like the ones you used at the Gym.

Finally, that line of bushes north of the Pokémon Center and Mart looks awkward. You should consider simply moving the terrace backwards (or remove the terrace all together). On another side note, when planning your city or town, Pokémon Centers and Marts should not be that far removed from the main part of the town. To elaborate, notice how you stuck your Center and Mart in the rear end of the city. This is far "removed" from the entrances to the city, and should be avoided (unless, in this case, the main entrances to the city were on the north end, which in this case is not advised).

All in all, I see some tile mistakes and a bit of flower spam, along with some non-canon raised land that doesn't really fit in... but it's an improvement from last time, at least. Keep it up!

For a map of its type, I'll rate it... 6/10. (keeping in mind that I am a very picky critic)

Hope that helped!
-Lyzák

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2017

See attached.

First off, Rate a map even if its been rated, Or go back and do maps which are skipped.
Secondally, While the layout is great, the city still has a blocky feel to it.
There are some tile errors and tree shading errors aswell, Which are in red in the attachment, Everything in the white boxes I think either need to be replaced or removed altogether,The small pond beside the gym has no way of getting to it, and flowers circled in blue should be moved around a bit.Try to be a bit more random with the mapping,Example:
No1.jpg
Yes1.jpg

If I were to ask which was better, most people would say the right side map.
(credits: link12552)
So yes, to the rating. I'll give:
2.5/2.5 for town planning,
.5/5 for detail
2/2.5 for mapping ability,
5/10 :Total
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map name: Route A and Lanat Village
Game: Evanesce ( Firered engine )
Comments: I HAVE fixed the tile errors in Route A and Lanat village, And It is fully playable.
Credits to:
Alstair for the grass.
zetavares852 for the tileset collection
anyone on zetavares852's list who owns the tiles.
Spoiler:

Attachments

• Example.PNG
    Example.PNG
    68.5 KB · Views: 33

Lyzak

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map name: Route A and Lanat Village
Game: Evanesce ( Firered engine )
Comments: I HAVE fixed the tile errors in Route A and Lanat village, And It is fully playable.
Credits to:
Alstair for the grass.
zetavares852 for the tileset collection
anyone on zetavares852's list who owns the tiles.
[picture removed due to new user restrictions]

Since in general you seem to have mapping pretty much down pat, I'm going to critique the other details of your map.

First off are the trees. Since you are in a firered engine, there is no three-dimensional camera, and so the trees you are using, which overlap as if they were three-dimensional, look awkward. Consider using a different tileset for trees, or edit them. In addition, while you do a good job for the most part mixing the three "species" of trees you use, I noticed that in some places you just repeat a checkerboard-like pattern of trees over and over. Having this predictable pattern in conjunction with the randomness of trees seen in other parts of the same map is very noticeable.

Also, waterfalls... I have so much crap to give to waterfall users. You shouldn't have a waterfall descending from a small pond like that. Where is the water coming from? The upper pond should be empty. In a large lake, a waterfall is acceptable because it can be inferred that rainwater is stocking the upper basin, but in this case you just have a small body of water at the top. I recommend removing the waterfall or adding an extension to the upper body of water that extends off screen, so the waterfall has a "source." In addition, the edges of the waterfall pass the edges of the upper "pond," and the waterfall and stillwater are two different colors.

Paths - be careful with them. You do a fantastic job along the routes of making them look random and natural, but when you get into the town-areas, you trip up on path width. The paths that run north-south are two tiles wide, but the paths that run east-west are one tile wide. Consider revising.

Finally, take a look at the back of the mountain, where it meets the trees. The left rear side is incorrect.

On a personal note, I've never been a fan of the oversized cave entrance, nor of blob-grass, but that's just me. If you like the effect of either/both, it's your call.

For mapping skills:
Natural - 6.5/10
Urban -7/10

For graphical appeal, 6.5/10.

I hope that helps!
-Lyzák

Collen

I have returned.
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2015
Map Name: Dial Town
Comments: Dial Town is the second town in the game. It is located right next to Route 1 and borders the ocean. Due to it's spot on the island the game takes place on, it is often hit by storms. To the north is Route 2, and by extension, Cove Cave.
Spoiler:

Lyzak

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012
Well, on the off chance that your post is deleted because you didn't rate anyone, I'm going to give your map a once-over anyways.

At the risk of sounding like a troll...

First off, scrap the golden bridge. It's leading into the water... Use a dock instead.
Next, your map has next to no organization. The houses are just slopped around, the Pokémon Center and Mart a tremendous distance from each other... Also, houses don't belong on sand. You can't build a foundation in sand, the house would literally roll onto its side, if said storms come through. The water has no border (dark water isn't a border. Rocks are), and what is a small, conveniently square patch of grass doing in the sand under the Pokémart?

The seaweed on the rocks in the water looks awkward, but aside from that, I don't see any tile errors off the bat.

For a natural look, I give it a 3/10.
For urban planning, I give it a 4/10.
For technical details, I give it a 2/10.
For aesthetic appeal, I give it a 6/10.

Hope that helps.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Comments: Dial Town is the second town in the game. It is located right next to Route 1 and borders the ocean. Due to it's spot on the island the game takes place on, it is often hit by storms. To the north is Route 2, and by extension, Cove Cave.
Spoiler:
Well I haven't rated a map in a while, but I feel the quality of maps I see are getting worse, and worse.
I will try not to offend you, or anyone else, please remember I grade harshly. First off all, you have a lot of empty space, it's beyond the excuse of playability. Your flowers aren't placed nicely, but sporadicly done in an attempt to fill space. You can fix this problem by adding a couple of trees, and making your miniature montians bigger. Your mapping is very square, which can be done correctly, but in your case is a tad boring. Try spicing it up, and deviate from your norm. Your rocks on the ocean don't cut off the player, and the player is able to swim in the dark water. Which goes against nintendo mapping, but it is perfectly fine; it all depends on what type of map you want to make. You do how ever, have little, to no tile erros, and correct tree shading.
Playability(Done Corecctly): 3/5
Uniqueness: 6/10
Creativity: 5/10
Detail: 1/10
Misileanious erros(5 is little to none): 5/5
Planing: 7/10
Tiles/Pallets: 8/10
Overall 35/50 (C) 70%

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
Spoiler:

I am no pro at making maps but the first thing i thought when i looked at your map was the sheer size of it. If its the second town on the game (and has no gym) the player will be spending very little time there (not including the time he spends wondering around trying to work out where you put things). Also the pokemart and pokemon centre should be next to each other (I am always getting slated for forgetting that) and unless that bridge has a function later in the game remove it or make it shorter its just not needed. On the up side though you have no tile errors that I can find and should not g=have to much trouble fixing this map.

However (I know I am a hypocrite, so don tell me) always rate a map before you post your own map.

Rating 6/10

My map:
Route 17 (cycling path)
Rom base: Fire red
I have removed the cycling bit and it is just now a long route between to citys. please don't be to harsh ( ;

Attachments

• Route 17.jpg
    Route 17.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 115

Lyzak

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012
My map:
Route 17 (cycling path)
I have removed the cycling bit and it is just now a long route between to citys. please don't be to harsh ( ;

Well, the attachment is a bit too small to critique small details, so you're on your own in terms of tile errors.

Anyways, first things I noticed were the ledges about halfway down the map. Those are one-way, man. This route cannot be passed from south to north, via any means. With a few professional examples, ALL routes should be able to be passed in both directions if needed.

Next is the water. Theme-wise, the sand makes no sense in the middle of a coniferous forest. Geometry-wise, I know people tell mappers not to make square lakes, but you have to balance it out a bit. Lakes don't look like that. Reconsider the design, make less concavity.

Flower placement - flowers rarely belong in the middle of an area, they are better saved for the edges where they are less likely to be trampled. That is, of course, assuming they weren't planted deliberately (flower garden exception).

Grass placement - I wish I had some advice for you. This is something you are just going to have to learn on your own, or from someone who can word it better than I: The grass looks sloppy. Ironically, especially considering its "natural" nature, grass is supposed to look deliberate in Pokémon games. You have grass on the edges of the path on the south side, where there really shouldn't be grass. You also have a large dead end-like area on the north side of your map with grass... well, actually, that's more of a "why the dead end?" question than a "why the grass?" question.

also, and I don't know for sure, but I think I see a tile error on your steps. To reiterate from last time, there are two types of stair tiles. One type is perfectly uniform, and one type has a slight dark shading on the left side. That left side is a shadow, and so the later of these two stair tiles should ONLY be used for the left-most stair tile in a width of stairs. All other stair tiles right from there should be the unshaded variety.

Rating...
Natural: 6/10
Organization: 5/10
Error Avoidance: 8/10??? (small image)
Technical Aspects: 5/10 (FIX THE LEDGES)
Graphical Appeal (not counting tileset use): 5/10

I hope that helps.
-Lyzák

Lyzak

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012
No, I didn't.
Now that you have pointed that out, however, I can tell you about the tile errors you made... <_>

1) All your stairs have errors. Remember, shaded stair goes on left-most, non-shade stair goes on all stairs right of that.
2) All your grass tiles are the same pattern. Remember that there are multiple grass styles. Use them all to give it a sense of randomness.
3) Your map has no right border... o.O
4) Be careful about raised terrain. You are using the wrong tile for "L" shaped bends.
5) What's with all the signs? Generally, metal signs are for route info or city/town entrances, while wooden signs are more natural landmarks, or even "Trainer Tips." Also, you have a metal sign wedged up in a corner.
6) I'd almost avoid the raised land all together. Remember what I said about grass tiles and raised terrain? The back ledge isn't covered with grass (as no tile exists naturally). This makes it look REALLY awkward.

Hope that helps!
-Lyzák

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
I am no pro at making maps but the first thing i thought when i looked at your map was the sheer size of it. If its the second town on the game (and has no gym) the player will be spending very little time there (not including the time he spends wondering around trying to work out where you put things). Also the pokemart and pokemon centre should be next to each other (I am always getting slated for forgetting that) and unless that bridge has a function later in the game remove it or make it shorter its just not needed. On the up side though you have no tile errors that I can find and should not g=have to much trouble fixing this map.

However (I know I am a hypocrite, so don tell me) always rate a map before you post your own map.

Rating 6/10

My map:
Route 17 (cycling path)
Let me first say this... I hope I don't offend you. Well first, I see tile errors that make me sick. You also use ledges wrong. They are ment to avoid grass, and how do you get back up, once you go down? You have a sign that can't be read.This map curves awkwardly so much it is giving me a head ache. Your flowers are so randomly placed. Same with the grass, it's as if no planing was involved. There is way to much open space, more newbies seem to have this problem. Your mountains are also lame, nothing special just boring rectangles. Also whats with the two random lakes? This map is confusing, doesn't flow well, and needs a lot more detail.
Playability(Done Corecctly): 3/5
Uniqueness: 4/10
Creativity: 3/10
Detail: 1/10
Misileanious erros(5 is little to none): 3/5
Planing: 4/10
Tiles/Pallets: 8/10 (Nothing new, or changed; Default gives you an 8)
Overall 28/50 56% (F)

Fee Nicks

TekMage
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 12, 2011
jabberjabber8: My issue with this map lies less outside its tile errors and such, and more with that it feels more like an amalgamation of several ideas for routes with not much rhyme nor reason for their close proximity (or location in the middle of a coniferous forest, but that's beside the point); especially for what is a normal intercity route, there's just too many ideas and formations going on there to make it look all that nice. Furthermore, it's completely and hopelessly linear - and, as pointed out earlier, one-directional as well. Honestly, it feels less like a route and more like a series of artificial and illogical obstacles put in place merely to slow down progress through the route. It's a space-filling path, and a bad one at that.
My honest advice? Just clear this route and start again, this time with a clear idea of what you want to do with it, rather than several ill-fitting ones put in place just to slow down progress.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
My map:
Route 17 (cycling path)

The water looks really out of place and your map looks very rectangular. Also, the way the grass isn't blended with the mountainy-bits makes the map looks amateurish. And lastly, the path seems a bit... un-natural.

Mine:
Base: FireRed;
Route 1;
Spoiler:

I just wanted to try out the new Advance Map, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back