The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Starry Windy
Ride the currents with us.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Tonight I was about to open my laptop, and I find out that Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights are blinking, and when I opened my laptop again, it won't run... I got a blank screen with the same Lock lights blinking (the laptop seems like it's turned on btw).

I wonder what happened?
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Tsutarja
Burning hot!

Nature: Jolly
Hmm, that's strange. Could you tell us the make & model of your laptop for more information Windy?

Gym Leader Flannery wants to battle!
Slugma (Lv. 26) - Magma Armor - (Flame Thrower, Sunny Day)
Torkoal (Lv. 28) - White Smoke - (Overheat, Attract)
November 21st / Staff Collab 2014
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Starry Windy
Community Supporter

I was using Compaq Presario CQ40 lines btw. The Lock keys was blinking, and I noticed when I turn on my laptop, the battery charging light is turned off for some reason.
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:13 AM
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
It sounds like you don't see anything on screen, which means your screen got burned-in (how do I properly word it in English?).
I had it with my very first Laptop too, the thing was on, everything worked, but I couldn't see anything on screen.
The only way to see something, was to put the screen against the sun, but sadly, it was the one of the last customer Laptops with a TFT Screen, I wouldn't recommend you to do the same with a glass Screen.
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:26 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

It might not be burn-in. Does the computer make sounds as if it's starting up?

We need to know all the details of what it's doing when you open it. Sounds like it could be a video failure.
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Starry Windy
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKGirlism View Post
It sounds like you don't see anything on screen, which means your screen got burned-in (how do I properly word it in English?).
I had it with my very first Laptop too, the thing was on, everything worked, but I couldn't see anything on screen.
The only way to see something, was to put the screen against the sun, but sadly, it was the one of the last customer Laptops with a TFT Screen, I wouldn't recommend you to do the same with a glass Screen.
My laptop is using LCD system, and weirdly, the first time the Lock keys are flashing, my laptop's screen is still ok (even when I'm shutting down my laptop after seeing them flashing). The problem starts when I'm turning on my laptop after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
It might not be burn-in. Does the computer make sounds as if it's starting up?

We need to know all the details of what it's doing when you open it. Sounds like it could be a video failure.
Usually, when I open my laptop, it usually starts quite silent (except for the laptop's fan's sound obviously) even if it's operating properly. And usually I know it's starting up when I see the Compaq logo in my monitor in the first place. However, this time when I open it, it's all black, I can't type anything, the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock's lights are flashing. And the charging light (the one with thunder sign in it) interestingly turned off when I'm opening my laptop, and the same charging light is on again when I turn off my laptop.

Last edited by Starry Windy; October 17th, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:58 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

If you have a spare monitor, try connecting the laptop into that. There should be a port on the side you can use for outputting video to the monitor. If there's still no video and the monitor and laptop both have power, it may be a video driver failure.
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
If you have a spare monitor, try connecting the laptop into that. There should be a port on the side you can use for outputting video to the monitor. If there's still no video and the monitor and laptop both have power, it may be a video driver failure.
Adding to this: Or modern day TVs will do.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Starry Windy
Community Supporter

I have tried the spare monitors but still no go, but sometimes the Compaq logo pops up on both of my monitors, after waiting for about a minute (although it occurs rarely), so I'm sure it's not the monitor's problem. I'm still troubled with the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock's blinking lights though, because usually the lights are not flashing, and the slow boot (as in waiting for the BIOS logo) as well. I wonder if there's something wrong that the lights are flashing and the long wait of the Compaq logo.

Last edited by Starry Windy; October 18th, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Heart View Post
I have tried the spare monitors but still no go, but sometimes the Compaq logo pops up on both of my monitors, after waiting for about a minute (although it occurs rarely), so I'm sure it's not the monitor's problem. I'm still troubled with the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock's blinking lights though, because usually the lights are not flashing, and the slow boot (as in waiting for the BIOS logo) as well. I wonder if there's something wrong that the lights are flashing and the long wait of the Compaq logo.
This probably means the BIOS is either unable to initialise everything and hence unable to boot, or it is unable to access the boot device. It's unlikely that either the GPU or video outs are the problem now - I think it's the laptop.

Anyway, how old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty? Your best bet is either get it serviced (if under warranty/have important data) or get a new, better laptop.
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:39 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
This probably means the BIOS is either unable to initialise everything and hence unable to boot, or it is unable to access the boot device. It's unlikely that either the GPU or video outs are the problem now - I think it's the laptop.

Anyway, how old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty? Your best bet is either get it serviced (if under warranty/have important data) or get a new, better laptop.
This this this.

If it was just the video, you wouldn't be getting the splash screen even occasionally. The BIOS may corrupted.
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Starry Windy
Community Supporter

I have been using my laptop for about 3-4 years, that I'm unsure about the warranty of my laptop anymore. I think I must bring it on service center after finishing backing up my data, then.
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:16 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

At that age your laptop is probably not covered by any warranty anymore.
Old October 19th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Perhaps after backing up everything you can get a hold of off the laptop, start shopping for a new laptop.

I'd suggest asking for suggestions at this point. What do you want your laptop to do now, and in the near future?
Old October 20th, 2013, 04:40 AM
Starry Windy
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
Perhaps after backing up everything you can get a hold of off the laptop, start shopping for a new laptop.

I'd suggest asking for suggestions at this point. What do you want your laptop to do now, and in the near future?
I think after my laptop is repaired, I think I'll keep using it even though my times in laptop will be reduced, while saving up to buy a new one that I'll be using in the future.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links