The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Silver25
Trainer

I already stated this on the Team Rocket/Plasma special thread but since this is the actual thread for Pikachu's new move I'll show it here as well.

The new move Pikachu learns in this special is "Electra Ball." As for the sparkling effect when Pikachu is running towards the fight, it COULD be a return of the whole "swallow/absorb a move and gain more power" (ie Grotle and Energy Ball) thing or it is part of the animation of Electra Ball, or something else entirely. Either way, Pikachu DOES learn Electra Ball.
Old February 19th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
Sweet first one to predix Electra Ball! Glad Pikachu is learning something new after all that time with the same moveset.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old February 19th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Silver25
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin5 View Post
Sweet first one to predix Electra Ball! Glad Pikachu is learning something new after all that time with the same moveset.
And it is entirely possible that this will only be an addition, and none of the other 4 moves will be replaced. The japanese anime already broke the whole 4 rule thing with Cilian and Dwebble thing (Dwebble uses 5 moves in it's first episode). Otherwise I can't really see which move they would replace...
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:46 PM
AshPikastar
It's Question Time!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to AshPikastar
Oh nice; so Pikachu's new move is Electra Ball. I don't think they are going to replace any of Pikachu's moves. He has some good move sets although Quick attack is a bit old but Ash seems to put it in good use. I can't wait to actually see this new move in action although we saw a small preview of it.
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:55 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Electra Ball huh? I can't seeing it replace any moves though. Pikachu will have 5 moves!
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

I don't know...I actually hope it doesn't. I like its' current set of moves. I mean, Thunderbolt will never go. Quick Attack makes sense - priority is always good, even Sceptile has it. Volt Tackle is his signature move, and you just know he'd only ever forget Iron Tail if they wanted Ash to lose to a rock-type trainer...so I don't want to see it happening.

However, no doubt it will. Am I right in thinking he didn't gain any new moves in Johto, as well as Sinnoh? This would mean he'll get one in Gen V.
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM
fenyx4
X does Y WITH AUTHORITY!

Nature: Timid
Oh, boo...the new move is Electro Ball? And the anime incarnation looks so similar to Energy Ball and Zap Cannon? Why couldn't it be Lightning Strike for an awesome twist? And why is the power of a "thrown" electrical ball dependent on the Speed stats of the user and the target? IMO, such a mechanic would be more fitting for a physical move like Volt Tackle.

Having Electro Ball replace Volt Tackle would be a poor decision, as its only benefits are no HP loss and the potential extra 30-points in base power if the opponent is really slow.

Thunderbolt is nearly iconic with Pikachu, commonly being used to foil Team Rocket or attack any threatening Pokemon. Though Electro Ball has a potential 55-point gain when comparing to Thunderbolt's power, I don't think a replacement is justified.

Deleting Quick Attack or Iron Tail is an even worse decision. Why the heck would you need three different Electric-type moves? That nearly sets the user up for failure if the opponent sends out a Ground-type Pokemon. You can't always aim for the horn, Ash!

I'm hoping this Electro Ball deal is a one-time event, as Ash's Pikachu's moveset is fine as is, and I don't see any moves other than Grass Knot, Surf,or Fly that would be viable for inclusion.
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Frostik
Trainer

Nature: Serious
I actually think Electro Ball will replace Thunderbolt. As signatory as Thunderbolt is, Electro Ball is equally long range, and to have three electric attacks out of four/five (two of them Special, no less)...that's the complete opposite of the meta-game they're pushing this generation.

Plus, if they play it against the speed cap, it might make for more interesting battles.

I own an incomplete nightmare,
my Neverending Romance

When shall it end?
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Yeah, but Pikachu wouldn't have lasted five minutes against Latios if he'd been using Electro Ball...I'm hoping it's either a one-off, or he's going to use five moves (I watched the battle where Krabby evolved and took on a trainer by himself, and he uses at least 6 moves :D )
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Frostik
Trainer

Nature: Serious
Yes he would have. Anime=/=games, 'member? They would have scrapped any hindrance to still make the battle go as it did. *DEM*

I own an incomplete nightmare,
my Neverending Romance

When shall it end?
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM
kyjuin57
Beginning Trainer

I think pikachu wont learn new moves, if it does, it might replace quick attack, also pikachu did know agility
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjuin57 View Post
I think pikachu wont learn new moves, if it does, it might replace quick attack, also pikachu did know agility
Um, yes he will, it's all ready shown he learns Electra Ball.

Pikachu's known quite a few moves,

Thundershock
Thunderbolt
Agility
Leer
Quick Attack
Double Edge
Thunder
Tackle
Iron tail
Volt Tackle.

And since then he's only kept 4 of those moves.

I think it's about time Chu' learned a new move, he hasn't since May's Eggcellent adventure ~

1349 6159 4149 // 1174 [TSV]
(feel free to add)
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:50 AM
GirlieNinjaRose
作家

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GirlieNinjaRose
I was thinking of Charge Beam? XD
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:07 AM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Well this makes me want to see the episode more.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:40 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
Wow, out of everything Pikachu could have learned, the gave it Electra Ball? Wow, now I know anime =/= games, but still - It's not a very powerful move. Plus in the games it only learns it at lv18 - that really shows how powerful pikachu can be.

But the move pikachu used in the preview looks way different to that picture, thats like a big ball - and in the preview Pikachu is like, covered up in a light, and rushes at the foe. Two moves anyone? Although I could see it as the light building up into a ball.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:51 AM
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Regeneration
I'd be really disappointed if that move would be Electra Ball. And from those scans, it does seems to be that. I don't think the writers would give Pikachu 2 moves at one instance, so that has a very low chance of happening. Maybe Pikachu running in that yellowish-white aura is just some sort of charge-up or a part of Electra Ball's animation.

And if the writers had to replace a move, my bets are on Thunderbolt.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Silver25
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew~ View Post
Although I could see it as the light building up into a ball.
That's what I'm thinking. Or it's simply Pikachu tapping into more power. While Electra Ball may not be that powerful in the anime, I get the feeling the way Pikachu performs this move will be quite different than the general move.

An example would be Quick Attack. In the games you learn it fairly early and is not that powerful. Yet time and again Pikachu uses it with great strength and has won battles with it. May not be the same but I think this applies.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Kendosis
Gym Leader

About time he learnt a new move !

オノノクス
Haxorus
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter

Spoiler:
After watching BW20, I think Pikachu forgot Volt Tackle, if any, since he used Thunderbolt, Quick Attack and Iron Tail after learning Electa Ball. It is pretty early to say that he forgot a move, but there is a possibility that it might be Volt Tackle. A few more episodes, and we'll be sure whether he forgot any move.
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
Even you should know, Regeneration, that there isn't any actual evidence that pokémon lose a move if they already have four. The anime =/= games...
Spoiler:
If I am correct, Dwebble used five moves in BW011 and against Cabernet in BW019.

Old February 25th, 2011, 03:22 AM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

And we can't forget Drake's Dragonite that used 10 moves in battle!
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew~ View Post
Even you should know, Regeneration, that there isn't any actual evidence that pokémon lose a move if they already have four. The anime =/= games...
Spoiler:
If I am correct, Dwebble used five moves in BW011 and against Cabernet in BW019.
I know that there isn't really a limit on the number of moves a Pokemon uses. But you must have noticed that a number of Pokemon generally have their moves limited to four. Maybe this isn't true, but has been applied well to Ash's Pikachu at least.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:33 AM
Seraphimon-sama

I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't learned Return yet. Then again, one attack would eliminate almost any Pokémon, so where would the fun be in that?
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

Sprite made by DD's Sprite Shop~!

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:31 AM
t3chvoid
Unhatched Egg

Im waiting for Pikachu to use Kaioken x10 first... and then x100!!
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Please don't post in threads that have been dead for over a month. Thanks.

Closed

Sponsored Links