• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nestle CEO wants to privatize the air we breathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Peter Brabeck, CEO of the world's largest foodstuff company, Nestle, has begun plans to privatize the air we breathe within municipal borders across the globe.

Nestle's idea is to make air a quantifiable commodity sold on the open market. The company would then contract with municipal leaders (from New York to New Zealand) to be the principal supplier of the air we breathe. Meaning: if New Yorkers wanted to breathe the air around them within the city's limits, they would need to pay Nestle in order to do so.

This news comes on the heels of Brabeck's announcement that he considers fresh water to be a commodity that should be wholly privatized rather than a human necessity to which global citizens have a right to unfettered access:

According to Brabeck, access to water is not a human right, and those who purport such claims are extremists.

Now, Nestle's CEO is categorizing the air we breathe as a commodity as well. "Those on the left backed by NGOs will say that access to air is a human right," Braback said when reached for comment. "However, oxygen is just like anything else. It's a commodity. People want it. And a market value should ascribed to it."

When asked whether making air a commodity could potentially leave millions (or billions) of poor global citizens out in the cold, Braback rejected such thoughts as fear-mongering. "Once we know what air is worth, we'll know how large the subsidies need to be to keep poor people breathing."

When asked to comment, poor people across the globe refused to waste their last free breaths on an answer.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...le-CEO-Plans-to-Privatize-the-Air-You-Breathe

Horray for Capitalism!

Gabri

m8
Years
So, what this enlightened mind (so I don't call it something else) is saying is that, basically, life is not a right but a commodity. It's amazing how much of an idiot, stupid, narrow-minded, careless prick, and money hungry at any cost a human being can show to be in less than ten sentences.

And people wonder why I'm losing faith on mankind.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
What I want to know is how he plans to... um... actually make sure that his product isn't stolen.

Years
This has to be a joke. There's no way that would ever happen. This fills my quota for "most ridiculous thing seen today" who would be this crazy and greedy to try and make you pay to breathe.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Money talks and ******** walks.

We should all know how the system works by now.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Not really surprised. Companies these days want to charge people over anything, and probably will without hesitation. I guess it just goes to show that humanity's greed will be its undoing.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I can't find anything other than this site saying this. I'm not sold that this isn't a joke article.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Who did he pay to own the air? Tornadus?

This seems just like the movie Total Recall lol. Making people buy air on the planet Mars if they wanna breathe. This time, it's Earth^^

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Rawr! Evil corporations and CEOs. Bad capitalism.

Feel free to make yourselves aggravated if you want, but if you look at the tags on that story it is clearly marked as "satire".

So... not real. Heck, Brabeck stepped down as CEO at Nestlé back in 2008.

And there already is water as a privatized alternative or commercialized commodity. Don't know why that article tries to make that sound surprising or new. We've had plastic water bottles in vending machines for years. And yet our sinks still work and provide water just fine.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
This kinda reminds me of the plot for the Lorax movie adaption. I hope this doesn't mean Nestle will try to tear down trees and create more pollution to force comsumers to buy air.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
All of the profits go to the Overlord Drakow in his master plans of world domination.

Indeed. It seems it's all about greed.
Spoiler:

droomph

weeb
Years
Um right. If he sucks all the air out of the atmosphere and charges me for it, I'll just die than give him my precious money.

**** him tbh I have better places to go (ie not here) if this place can't support me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back